preseaon game 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Aug 12, 2017.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's fair. All I was saying was that we should wait and see and not panic or rush to judgment. We've been conditioned to do the latter with the Jets, because our patience has rarely (if ever) been rewarded. We feel foolish that we've trusted in this team/franchise to make the right decisions and for things to turn out ok, so we tend to rush to judgment so we won't be hurt or embarrassed or think we've been made a fool of again. I understand it. Being a Jets fan is tough. It's always weighing the rational mind against our heart, passions and feelings of betrayal.

You could definitely be right about his habit or that he is another year away, or he might never develop. Even if he is a year away, he may never be the Jets' answer at QB, because if he hasn't clearly shown by the end of this season that he has made so much progress that the Jets could realistically view him as their starter and FQB next season, then Mac has to draft another QB high in the 2018 draft. We just have to hope that Hack shows he can do it this year or that the Jets will wind up with a top 2-3 pick and that Mac will not only take a QB, but the right QB.

tbruner12 likes this.
  3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don't understand the hate for Hack based on the video we have up on all his throws.

It's a new offense, it's pre season, it's all about repetition and comfort, and judging by what I saw on that video, if he had the number ones on the field, I'm sure they probably would have been in scoring position more times than not.

Let's not forget, labeau was bringing the house with the number ones when Hack was in, it's not the type of defense you can sit back and wait on, first 2 reads are important against these type of defenses.

I also like they are using a balance of shotgun and putting him under center, the timing has to be almost perfect when under center based on wether it's a 3,5,7 step drop back, that's what I saw in that first game.

A QB coach and OC trying to reinforce everything needed to be a WCO quarterback.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Enunwa would have beasted Saturday night. Big powerful receivers that can break a tackle when one on one with a corner would do well in this offense.
    but with what we have now, the plan will be to keep hitting these short throws till the corners try to cheat up and then throw over them.

#384 FJF, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Ardarius Stewart, will need to step up and be that receiver that can break a tackle and generate yards after the catch. He had a nice catch from Hack in the preseason game where he had a pretty nice stiff arm.

6. FJF

Good call, I was trying to think of a receiver that might be able to do that. Forgot about Stewart. Thanks

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

how long have you been a jets fan?
    no offense ( no pun intended , but...), but haven't we seen a phony 'open competition' for starting qb before?
    just saying......

8. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

tremendous post! whether you look at hack or petty, you are exactly right on both.

9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Lol well well well... another case of trying to force a young vertical passing attack QB into the oh so conservative and predictable west coast offense. Gotta love it.

10. 101GangGreen101

Didn't we just have a discussion about this ;)

11. FJF

Yea I know, but if I keep that thought to myself it may fester into a tumor. Best to vent for health reasons

JetLifeLo and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. JetLifeLo

lol yup.. maybe the "installation process" is extended throughout the pre-season. lol

13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how someone can come away feeling negative about Hack. If you put the film from last preseason to this preseason, its like a night and day difference. His mechanics have been completely reversed, he still has a cannon of an arm but actually was very accurate, went through progressions, didn't try to force throws.

To me, Hack is ascending, and even if he didn't take a ton of shots down the field, he worked with what he had, and looked good doing it.

Going forward, I would like to see the Jets coaches open up the playbook a bit but I am completely on board and understanding of their approach in the first preseason game. Let him play, get him comfortable, get some completions together and accurate throws, and your QB gets a confidence boost and more comfortable playing.

As for Petty, I almost feel bad for him but it's pretty clear that the Jets don't view him as anything other than a backup.

14. 101GangGreen101

its the first preseason game, you expect the the full offense to be installed already?

Jesus Christ, temper the expectations bud.

15. JetLifeLo

lol can you really blame someone for being impatient with this team bro? Or for having little faith that things will get done in a normal manner.. this is the jets lol!

tbruner12 likes this.
  16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

We just know so little about what the strategy was for this game. Obviously a very vanilla gameplan, but did Morton/Bowles actively try to keep all of Hack's throws short? Was Hack uncomfortable throwing deep?

Did Hack lock on to his first receiver, or did he recognize who would be open pre-snap? The next couple games will definitely be revealing.

tbruner12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I thought Hack looked pretty good. Sure, it was all short throws, but he was accurate and delivered the ball on time. But for two bad drops by Marshall and Firkser, he would've completed 80% of his throws. For the first preseason game in a new system, it was a heck of a lot better than I expected. Baby steps....

And our D looked REALLY good. Consistent pressure on the QB, no blown assignments, and a general spirit of togetherness. It's good to see that the team is excited to prove the doubters wrong and has a newfound enthusiasm. A lot of that is attributable to the presence of Adams and May, but I think bringing back DDavis' leadership is also going to pay dividends.

Whether that all for one attitude persists depends upon injuries and character. Losing Enunwa hurts, and I'm sure there will be a lot more adversity during the season. Will the team fold up if guys like Powell, Adams, Mo, and/or Williams get hurt and we suffer a few bad losses? I suppose there are many fans who will be rooting for that. I would prefer to see a team that gives maximum effort no matter the result because that can be built upon.

Acad23 and tbruner12 like this.
  18. Finally got to see all his throws.Liked the footwork,command of offense & the accuracy.

I'd like to see Alittle more situational awareness on 3rd down making throws that will move the chains but it looked like on most of those opportunities the play was scripted short & hence above his head.

He was absolutely held back schematically.It was very similar to Petty during his first outing his rookie year.I was encouraged by it however given that I think his/offenses best chance for success this year is a quick passing game..he showed he can execute the basics of that sort of look.

I think this was a very positive outing for him.of course we'd like to see some points & hopefully that's his next step

tbruner12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

A running game would help also. They gotta get that together. Maybe by some miracle a TE corps that can do any kind of damage in the passing game. I'm not counting on either one, but maybe?

LAJet likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Hopefully, with regards to the OL they put primary importance on protecting the QBs, and with more time and practice, the running game will get clicking. Even if it struggles some, as a number of NFL teams have proven, a short-passing attack can function just like a rushing attack.

I definitely think we are going to have a TE corps that will do a LOT of damage. ASJ is going to have a monster year if he stays healthy. I think Leggett will make a solid contribution as a rookie, and if Jason Vander Laan makes the team, we could really have something special. Supposedly, the Jets CS loves Vander Laan and he's been impressing them in TC again this year.

Walt White likes this.