preseaon game 1

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Aug 12, 2017.

1. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

"Would ya just look at it?"
    "Just look at it."

2. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

I didn't watch this until the replay but I don't know what to draw from it. The defense looked decent. The offense was spotty. The problem with evaluating Hack in this game is it didn't look like there was much of a game plan short of testing receivers.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No, we have to be intelligent and realistic. Hack did really well for his first real action in an NFL game. He didn't force any balls. He checked down if no one was open. Called timeout if something didn't look right to him or he was confused. Had a bad QB-Center exchange to end the game, but overall solid. It's hard to evaluate QB's with the 2's and 3's as their protection is so bad, but for what he worked with, I thought it was good. He will only get better.

NCJetsfan, CBG, FlaJet and 4 others like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Statistics aren't everything. Look at the decision making on 3rd down and distance. Obviously a small sample size but the majority of the game he made the right decisions. That's what you want to see from a young qb. Finding the open target.

There was about 3 drops in the game, where it killed the drive. I thought he did a good job given the game plan. Would've liked to seen him put up some points but let's see what happens next week. Continue to improve.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't really know how else to say it: if you are out here saying Hackenberg looked "fucking awful" you should stop trying to analyze football.

NYJFOREVER, Brook!, Skicats and 7 others like this.
  6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

What do you mean? He's supposed to be like Peyton Manning at this point. You're not allowed to work into a developing situation slowly.
    If he threw one fucking errant pass the 'experts' would of had massive strokes. We can't have that.

#266 Walt White, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I'ma give my honest assesment of Hack, and seeing how he was when he was at PSU.

I'm VERY impressed with his progress.
    This doesn't mean I feel he's going to be the franchise QB the Jets need but I'ma fan of Hackenberg and I hope he DOES eventually become the Jets franchise QB.

A few things that stood out to me.

- He made the right reads most of the night. Hack came up in a west coast type offense in which Bill O'Brien installed similar concepts...get the ball out quickly. He made those right reads mostly all night.

- His short accuracy improved a TON. The throws he made were the ones he struggled with the most. The swing passes and screens to the WR's, he would always over throw, ALWAYS. Last night he actually delivered it on time. But more importantly the 5-10 yard passes were crisp and right on the numbers. I cannot stress how much of an issue it was in college, his whole career to complete the short passes. This is the offense he's use to but now you are starting to see progress on actually being able to run it. Hack's always been smart to grasp the offense or any offense, but now to show ability to actually run it is a huge positive.

- His long ball was off the few times he actually threw deep, and Hack is a guy who likes to show off his arm. This maybe due to the lack of deep threats on offense. The offense they ran was mostly short stuff and that maybe due to them still installing most of the offense still so it's a work in progress. Robby Anderson is going to be huge for Hack because he has the speed and length to go deep...if Hack will be successful, it's because he's developed chemistry with Robby off the bat...I still want to see that connection develop and have one of these other WR's come along. Robby is now the #1 but the Jets need to find who #2 is. Jalen dropped an easy pass but got the start as the #2. Peake is one guy I'm expecting to step up and become the #2.

All in all, huge progression made and I'm glad he's shown strides to becoming at least a viable option here.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You don't think Hack and Morton know you can't play pitch and catch in real games? They're professionals, they know 100x more about football than we do. The plan was for Hack to execute accurate throws against another team. He won't be ready to start until he can combine accuracy with making multiple reads (which he already showed he can do in college). But he accomplished his goal for last night.

9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

What tbe hell r u reading pal. I was giveN my opinion on how they r gonna play it this year. I wanna play it conservative it's the only chance we got. We can't chuck it deep a lot like tbe giants we r not built for that. Why is that negative? I think people respond to posts without reading them or can't comprehend

10. Walt White

KRL Game Observations

Even though it was only a pre-season game here are some of the things that
    stood out after re-watching the tape:

- OLine pass protection of the #1 and #2 units kept the pocket relatively
    clean. The run blocking was shaky though and needs to improve particularly
    up the middle

- Robby Anderson regulalry getting open in his reps and hauling in that
    40+ yard bomb. Speaking of which, credit to Josh McCown for reaching
    Anderson something Ryan Fitzpatrick could never do

- Elijah McGuire showed good wiggle and the ability to find holes. Unfortunately
    both of his big runs were called back because of penalties

- Christian Hackenberg had a crisp "game manager" performance which was a good
    first step. Excellent completion percentage (72%), good accuracy and a quick
    release were his big positives. His yardage and point production would've been
    better if not for some key drops. He needs to improve his speed getting out of the
    huddle and processing things at the line because he wasted multiple time outs

- Too many key drops that killed drives which could've led to points

- The run defense was surprisingly shaky particularly up the middle

- Defensively the team speed was outstanding. And the pressure on the QB was
    relentless whether it came from the pass rush or blitz packages. Improved
    play by the secondary allowed the front 7 to get "home"

- Leonard Williams was "beastly"

- Excellent all around games by the LB's Julian Stanford, Josh Martin and Jordan Jenkins.
    Demario Davis took his strong camp into the game and continues to look like an upgrade
    over David Harris

- Other defenders with good performances were Anthony Johnson (DE), Dexter McDougle (CB)
    and Doug Middleton (S)

- Good tackling by the special team units and Frankie Hammond had a couple of nice returns
    -------------------------------------------

After watching what the defense did to TEN that could explain why the Jet
    offense has struggled in camp with:

- WR's getting free from press coverage
    - OLine picking up blitz packages
    - Coverage sacks

Because TEN was dominated in those areas all game

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I watched the game again and I was going to post the exact same thing, NOT THAT HE LOOKED LIKE SHIT but that he IS pretty much locked on the first read / receiver . The fact that he did not turn the ball over is encouraging but zero points in all those possessions is not a good thing . Lets see how the kid does in upcoming weeks .

tbruner12 likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is the kind of BS assessment that drives me crazy. What ever happened to the bringing him along slowly because he still has a long way to go approach? Hack did not set the game plan, and if you add a couple of miserable drops he would have far exceeded expectations.
    It didn't take long for some of you to go from the let the kid play and make the growing mistakes as they open up the envelop slowly to the higher standard BS evaluation now. Yes let's assess him to the same standards to one that has been playing at the NFL level for 3 years.
    This is his first exposure ever....and as such he did damned well for this team.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think I agree.....Petty doesn't have a future here. But we will need a bu, so maybe keep him for that? At least until we draft Hack's replacement....

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yes hes was but we called a lot of 3 step quick release plays. Ball comes out in under a second...no time to 'look off' DBs....take the snap, find your WR, throw him the ball.

15. Walt White

No good. He's not allowed to make a good quick read. He needs to drop back and scan the field like RoboQB and throw 80 yard lazer's in ludicrous speed. I think some of the experts are implying that Hack was told to make the throws he made anyway. So fuck us.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Defense looked good, offense has some issues, so no major surprises.

Some observations:

1) McCown looked good in very limited action. He will start week 1.
    Hack I thought looked much improved. Mechanically, last preseason he was completely flat footed in the pocket, so big improvements there.
    Decision making and accuracy in the short game showed progress as well.
    With so much riding on Hack's progression, I actually like how they are forcing him to earn the job.

2) Pass rush looked great. I'm not sure if coverage was helping, scheme, or individuals beating there man more frequently.
    Maybe it was a little of each, which is promising all around.

3) Josh Martin was the player of the game.

4) Our ILB's are the weak link on defense. Run stopping was lacking, as LB's were getting swallowed up by lineman.

5) McDougle looked better than I've seen him in past, and Roberts was shaky. Might be battling for last CB spot.

6) On the offensive side, no push on run blocking from our lineman.

7) Our TE's looked improved with ASJ, Leggett and Vander Laan, especially in the pass game.
    Not sure if any of them are natural blockers though, which also affects the run game.

8) unforced mistakes on offense like penalties and drops really shows the inexperience and lack of talent.
    When developing a young QB, you need a better supporting cast imo.

matt robinson 17 and Jets69 like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hack just threw 97 check downs and that's it.......that doesn't tell us anything; good, bad, or otherwise

Still a mystery

Brook! likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting!!! I really, really appreciate it. My CBS affiliate had some dumb shows on rather than the game, but I was able to follow the play-by-play on NFL.com.

It's good to see Hack. He definitely looked poised, comfortable and in command of the offense. What an arm he has. If we can get our receivers to hold onto the ball, we could have a lot better offense than we thought. All in all, an encouraging outing for Hack and the Jets' offense.

Big Cat likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree it's still a mystery, but there really weren't any check downs thrown.
    They were designed short route passes where he was throwing to his first target.

Would be nice to see him successfully work through his progressions, but I've got no problem with Morton keeping it simple, and putting him in a position to sustain drives.

tbruner12 and BrowningNagle like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Saying he looked like utter shit is ridiculous! I guess you were expecting mid-season form from a seasoned professional.

Yes, he threw it to his first read every time, but guess what? Every time, the first read was open, and with Hack's arm on short passes like that, there won't be too many DBs who will be able to break on the ball in time. Now if he continues this, especially on deep throws, then it could be problematic.

I'm sure that last night they were trying to keep things simple for him to build confidence and get him in a rhythm. Baby steps. They're taking it slow, and in an orderly progression, and I applaud them for that. TC reports have said that he has been going through his progressions and making good reads, so hopefully he has and will continue that. Throwing interceptions wasn't a problem for him in college and I don't think it will be in the NFL, now that his mechanics are a lot better.

I'm much more worried about the Jets receivers actually holding onto the ball than I am Hack throwing interceptions.