Preseason Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJetsO12, Aug 13, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well what do you guys think?

IMO Todd Bowles will post the most preseason wins before he is done

The papers are trumpeting our D as they should

The offense I thought showed some flashes with journeyman McCown in there

So Detroit NYG and Eagles are coming up

Footballs back yay!!!!

tbruner12 likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I'm curious too to see if our first pre-season game changed any minds. I'm already on the record for this to be the most talented team we've had in a long time.Our D's play strengthened that position. Hack's play could have been horrendous putting us back to square one but it wasn't. Hack's play was average for a firs yr QB. jury still out of course, but I'm sticking with my hopes for the season.

regan62072 and tbruner12 like this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Hack showed improvement. Far from ready , but way better than last year.
    The offense is lacking depth all around.
    The D looks good but it was only one series in the first preseason game. There seems to be good depth on that side of the ball.
    Lachlans should be replaced ASAP. He sucks...

nicg4360 and Jets69 like this.
  4. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

It looks like we're going to win 5 to 7 games, not 0 to 2 games like a lot of people are saying. There is a lot of talent on the defensive side. The o-line is decent. It's not good, it's not bad, it's decent. No big holes, but no stand-out players. We should be able to dink-dunk our way to a few wins with how good our defense is.

Hack has shown a lot of improvement, and it's encouraging. If he was a rookie this year, everyone would be excited about how he played. He was able to diagnose the defense and throw to the right receiver. He threw with accuracy and good tempo. I'm hoping that he starts throwing the ball to deeper targets. Keep in mind he's 3 years younger than Carson Wentz who was drafted in the same draft class. He's born in the same year as Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes, and is a year younger than Mitch Trubisky. I wasn't a fan of him out of college, especially after last year's pre-season, but he is showing improvement.

The goal this year should be for Hack to eventually take over the offense mid-season. We should have a top 10 pick which we can use on one of the elite tackles in the upcoming draft class. We'll also have plenty of money to spend in free agency to improve the offense. Forte will retire after this year and we don't know what will happen to Quincy.

nicg4360, NCJetsfan and almbleamal like this.
  5. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

Honestly it's going to be about McCown. If he can stay healthy we have a chance. Of course, he has never stayed healthy in 10 seasons, so our odds aren't good.

Of course, the SOJ airline will be that he is just good enough and healthy enough to take us out of the running for the top QBs in next year's draft...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Why mid-season? This guy is a 2nd round draft choice who's had a year to study. If he ain't ready now....he'll never be.

NYJetsO12 and tbruner12 like this.
  7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The last 2 teams Mcown has started for both ended up with the number 1 pick in the draft .So we are def on our way,2016 Browns and the Bucs the year they drafted Winston I believe.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Warning... Verrry Low Bar ahead..

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You don't know that, westie, and proclaiming it as if it's a fact is preposterous. There have been a number of NFL players who wound up being very good that it took them a couple of years to learn and develop. Have some patience, grasshopper!

rohirrim665 and Skicats like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The year the Lions went 0-16 they went 4-0 in the preseason. Yesterday's game in no way shape or form changes my expectations for this season.

11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Quick, everyone get to Vegas and take the over on the Jets before the line changes!

Defense looked rock solid.
    Hackenberg has drastically improved since last year.
    Receivers looked decent.

12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

So did the '96 Jets team that ended 1-15.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

Ptflea2 likes this.
  14. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

15. HomeoftheJets

Such is the power of fake news. :D

Cman68 likes this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The linebackers are a concern, it's preseason, but I need to see someone coming from the outside on a consistent basis and forcing the QB out of the pocket.

Most of the pressure I saw came from blitzes up the middle, which is ok, however that can be schemed for by an opposing OC.

The one on one battle from the OLB needs to have an impact otherwise the jets are relying on 3 DL to get presssure on the QB and that is not how the 3-4 scheme is designed to work.

If they played a true 4-3 and drafted DL that were designed for it, Williams would be the second coming of Reggie White, the guy looks almost unstoppable.

Darron lee looks better than last year but he was missing basic coverage responsibilities.

The blitz happy scheme will cost them a lot of opportunities to get off the field because of lack of quality OLB play.

I think the offense will be a little better than expected once the players get comfortable with it.

The jets are going to be a conservative team which will keep them in games but the lack of skill play from the QB play will be their downfall again.

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It was '97 they went 4-0 and then they went 9-7 in the regular season. in '92 they went 5-0 and then went 4-12, 2002 and '66 were the other undefeated preseasons

Ptflea2 likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets also have to rely on better communication in the secondary, it was pitch and catch for the opponents last year. I think this will help generate a pass-rush too. Linebackers are an issue, and the Jets need Lee to be able to make plays in coverage. He's the new wave of nickel linebackers that can roam the field and make plays. You see him get in position, but he needs to start learning how to finish plays. Jets run ton of nickel, more than any other formation. Our safeties can really help cover the deficiencies of the football team. I think the back-end will cover much better in comparison to last year. Adams, is a huge surprise for me because I thought coming out of the draft he would best suit in the box, but this guy is playing slot cb on some plays.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Really?

20. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Nothing has changed my mind about the season - it will still be a long one.

defense - ok
    offense - attrocious

TonyFtLaud likes this.