Shouldn't Bowles AND Maccagnan be fired if the Jets Tank?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

I think it was fairly obvious Petty was in over his head as the starter and Hack would have just been thrown to the wolves. We probably did more to retard Petty' s development than help it.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Following are some excellent comments and stats from an interesting article found on Ganggreennation.com that pertain to Beasley vs. Williams. Williams was definitely the right choice.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...us-mock-draft-pick-in-the-last-3-first-rounds

Would the Jets be better or worse off? - This is really tough. Leonard Williams was considered a major steal where the Jets got him, as he was widely seen as the draft’s best overall player. He’s already been tremendously productive and is progressing fast towards his high ceiling as a young prospect. Beasley has an argument here, though. He became a really productive edge defender for Atlanta, notching 15.5 sacks and 6 forced fumbles last year.

[​IMG]
    Take note of the last number on this chart. Williams’ 43 tackles for a loss or no gain lead the entire league over the last two seasons. However, when comparing these two players, position is important to consider. The Jets have accomplished talent on the interior defensive line, with Wilkerson, Richardson, Steve McLendon as well as Deon Simon who has had his moments. It’s the deepest position on the team, while the edge rush is arguably the weakest area on the defense. Is Williams far enough ahead of Beasley overall to make up for the fact he plays at a stronger and arguably less valuable position?

Honestly, I’d say yes and stick with him here. He’s doing it as a Jet, and while Beasley is also becoming a star player, we just don’t know if it would work out if he came to NJ instead of Atlanta. Remember Wilkerson’s slump last season as well as Richardson’s decline and off the field struggles. You can’t have enough talent at any position. Keep in mind Williams is also two years younger.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, GM is tricky. Not like Maccagnan took over a great roster and WRECKED it. I get that he is building. My only point was if these pieces are not looking good after 2017, no reason he should be safe too. The hope is that is not the case and many of these draft picks and signings by Mac pay off.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Romflao, are you clueless? Mac should get a lifetime contract right now. Greatest person to ever grace the halls of an NFL franchise.

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd agree that if Macc is not doing a good job, he should be canned as well.

Just - the situation he inherited is so bad, and, coupled that moron Bowles, I don't think the performance of the current squad, gives an accurate portrait of what Macc is doing.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

Yeah, well said. Hopefully the roster keeps progressing and gets better game by game.

7. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Out of all the GMs this team has had in the past decade, I think Mac gets it the most...even if sometimes it doesn't work out.

NCJetsfan and Jets_Grinch like this.
  8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Haven't really thought it through yet but we've been hiring former coordinators for a long time, would be nice to have someone with HC experience.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't think he gets it at all, he still thinks you win in the NFL with defense even though the rest of the league got over that years ago. At least Tannenbaum kept us competitive every year even if it cost us future picks to do it.

10. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that? Cause Denver and Seattle rode defence to Super Bowls pretty recently.

TwoHeadedMonster and Red Menace like this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Your missing the mark. This is year ONE of the rebuild. Mac came in and was takes to put a playoff contender on the field immediately. He came close but missed. He had the foresight to structure contracts so we would be able to jettison the older vets and fortunately he was able to get Woody to buy in to the long term picture. Mac will get a chance to build a team. Finally. We have been trying to patch together this team with old, over paid veterans. Trading draft picks for player rentals , and coupled with a decade plus of bad drafts had no depth and few young players to build around.
    This is going to be a process that will take a few years, at least 2 more drafts.
    Bowles should also have a somewhat longer leash as it's hard to win without talent, and we are lacking talent at numerous positions.
    If he has the team prepared to compete , shows some control of the locker room and doesn't loose games with poor decisions, clock management etc. He will be here in 2018 as well.
    If your expecting success in 2017 your going to be disappointed.
    Your missing the mark. This is year ONE of the rebuild. Mac came in and was takes to put a playoff contender on the field immediately. He came close but missed. He had the foresight to structure contracts so we would be able to jettison the older vets and fortunately he was able to get Woody to buy in to the long term picture. Mac will get a chance to build a team. Finally. We have been trying to patch together this team with old, over paid veterans. Trading draft picks for player rentals , and coupled with a decade plus of bad drafts had no depth and few young players to build around.
    This is going to be a process that will take a few years, at least 2 more drafts.
    Bowles should also have a somewhat longer leash as it's hard to win without talent, and we are lacking talent at numerous positions.
    If he has the team prepared to compete , shows some control of the locker room and doesn't loose games with poor decisions, clock management etc. He will be here in 2018 as well.
    If your expecting success in 2017 your going to be disappointed

12. NCJetsfan

I like this all except the paragraph on Bowles. Yes, it's hard to win without talent, but he had talent on the team the past two seasons, and he has talent now. The problem is that he hasn't had the team prepared to play, hasn't held players accountable, has had mostly sorry game plans, has not made adjustments when the game plan didn't work (this and the previous point are where the lack of talent hurts), has been pretty awful at game and clock management and been to passive/conservative. IMO if he shows he has fixed those areas or made major progress on them this season, then I have no problems with his getting another year or two, but if his weaknesses continue to be the downfall of the team, he should be axed immediately following this season.

I applaud the changes he made in his CS, but think Rodgers and STs coordinator should have gone as well. It seems like he is making or at least going along with better decisions regarding Hack, but then there's the whole thing with McCown getting most of the 1st team reps, Hack not getting many, and Petty totally getting the shaft.

13. The Dark Knight

Yeah, last night Bowles attempted that 55 yard kick, I was like "here we go again". Classic bad decision. I know it's preseason, but you don't do that with a 7-0 lead. I don't think you can take preseason decisions seriously, it just reminded me of all his poor past decisions. It won't be hard for him to improve because you can't do much worse than he has. :D

14. NCJetsfan

Well, preseason is the time to try crap like that, regardless of the score. There might be a time during the season where the Jets are in a tight situation, and I guess Bowles wants some kind of confidence or experience with trying that. The problem is that unless he has made up his mind that Catanzaro is going to win the kicking competition, it doesn't really show him that much. Martin is supposedly looking much better and ahead in the competition, so I was surprised that Martin wasn't the one to try that kick, but maybe he can't kick it 55 yards.

I get your point, however. Yes, Bowles should not do crap like that during the regular season, and his decision making needs to get a LOT better.

#74 NCJetsfan, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    BleedingGreen55 likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I agree, I guess I should have been clearer in the paragraph about Bowles.
    I'm no fan of Boyer but I'm willing to give him a chance. Last year, with all the injuries , most of the special teams were pressed into regular spots and lost to him. I think there were only 3 players on special teams by mid season who were on the roster to start the season.
    I am also OK with Rodgers getting this season to show what he can do.
    He may have been our D coordinator in name last season but he had absolutely no say in anything. Bowles held the role of D coordinator in reality and tried to be both HC and DC.
    He claims he has given Rodgers control of the D this season . Boles has hung his future on Rodgers so if he fails, he is likely taking Bowles with him.

16. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

bingo! letting mac pick the hc is key . that's on woody/brother.

17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The spending spree was more a result of being forced to comply with league rules due to Idzik not spending during his tenure. It put lipstick on a pig along with a cupcake schedule to allow them to appear to be competitive while Mac went to work with the real re-build. I still blame Mac for where he picked Hack (2nd round) not that he picked him. Pick a QB every year until one sticks. I'm all for giving Mac a shot with a HC of his choosing. As for Bowles, I can't wait for black Monday when the axe falls on his neck.

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The problem all along was to assume that Fitz was going to somehow repeat the season he had in 2015. That was a miraculous season where literally everything went right, minus week 17.

Then handing him that insane contract was the nail in the coffin after holding out and becoming a huge distraction for the team. There was something off about the Jets last season and it was surely Fitz.

19. NCJetsfan

IMO, Mac was in a no-win situation regarding Fitz last season. Expectations were high among fans, and I'm certain, Woody. Bowles had already named Fitz the starter. If Mac hadn't re-signed Fitz, the fans would have been in an uproar, Bowles would have been and claimed to Woody (if not the media) that Mac was sabotaging him, and Mac may have been fired. I would not be surprised at all if Woody ordered Mac to re-sign Fitz regardless of cost.

Mac gets the blame for caving, but based on his comments and his handling of the situation, imo he didn't want Fitz back. I think he knew that Fitz wasn't the answer, had no chance of repeating 2015's success, and knew he wasn't worth crazy money. Even if Woody didn't order him to re-sign Fitz, I think he had no choice because of fan and media's expectations/pressure and Bowles comments. To top it off, he had Players (Decker and Marshall) lobbying for Fitz's return.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This is so false and bias towards Mac, it's asinine. Myself and a lot of posters like FJF wanted Geno to start and Fitz to be let go.

Mac needed to grow some balls, he is in charge of the 53 man roster, not Bowles. Bowles can run his mouth all he wants, but Mac is the one that pulled the trigger. Mac folded like a lawn chair.

FJF likes this.