Shouldn't Bowles AND Maccagnan be fired if the Jets Tank?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 10, 2017.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is a good write up, but you took my original post the wrong way. I said "if the Jets tank". I like what Mac has done. I did not criticize him at all. People just keep saying the Jets will tank and go (0-16) to (4-12) and fire Bowles. I'm saying, Shouldn't Mac be a part of that if the team really sucks that bad? He built most of it now. It's pretty simple. Most responses have made sense. Yours is pointing out the potential of a lot of these players. Obviously if they turn out like you say, the Jets won't be as bad as people say and Mac will be safe.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but the way it read, it sounded like you didn't think that Mac had done any better of a job than Bowles and that he should be fired too.

Just because the Jets win only 4 games, or maybe even 0 games, doesn't mean they're tanking. That nonsense has to stop. Tanking is when the GM, HC, CS tell the players to not win and they deliberately throw games or play in a way that will result in their losing. That is not what the Jets are doing. They are rebuilding, and because the will have a lot of young, inexperienced players, they will likely make some rookie mistakes, and they are missing talent or have questionable players (because they're new, inexperienced, and no one knows what to expect from them). Just because the team loses, doesn't mean that they are that bad or don't have any talent. I have spelled out the reasons in several threads as to why they could lose a lot of games this year, and none of them have to do with the team being bad or having no talent.

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Picking a random fan at each game and letting them play QB would have been a better option...

He is under contract through 2018

4. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Don't see the point of letting them go unless they are replaced with more competent replacements. If Gruden decides to take an interview, then you promise him whatever he wants.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

Yep. They went from (1-15) with Kotite to (9-7) to (12-4) in 2 years with Parcells. So wins don't truly show talent or not. However, if there is no talent, and they don't win any games, I could see Mac being fired. I made the thread because I just found it odd that everyone is cool with dumping Bowles, and also fine with keeping Mac. (Including myself as I have said). It has been a good discussion.

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If Bowles and/or Macc do get fired, can the Jets actually hire someone who isn't a coordinator and actually give the job to someone who has already been an HC/GM

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Like who?

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's possible that they could hire someone who has been a HC before, but not GM. That rarely, if ever, happens. I don't know if KC's former GM is still available, but he would be the only possibility of hiring a GM with experience.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I haven't seen a thing to think Mac is a bad drafter. The Jets failed at their competitive rebuild but they had to try. Mac wisely didn't lock us into any vet not named Revis for more than 2 years. If he had we'd be really screwed. As it stands we know a bad year is on the way but they have massive opportunities to rebound next year. I'm not ready to abandon Mac, even knowing what's coming this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I prefer the rule of foot, if you're incompetent aka Todd "Toilet" Bowles then give him the boot.

To me the only reason Bowles is here this year is no top notch coach would agree to join this team as constructed. If the Jets lock up a top 3 pick in the draft where they can select their QB of the future that is plenty to attract a top head coach.

11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Top 3 pick + ~ $60M in space :)

Bowles is a placeholder

12. The Dark Knight

Yep. I think that will be the likely result. Mac will keep his job. Bowles likely will not. Time will tell.

13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lemme tell ya something ....the Owner, Mac and Toilet Bowles all know the handwriting is on the wall for Mac/Bowles management team

Bowles was prob told by Woody/Waldo after last season he must show IMPROVEMENT as a HC ...not necessarily a ton of wins to stay on as Coach. Mac has more of an inside track to stay given his job performance...Bowles doesn't

That said TBH I think Bowles will blow it cause he has not learned anything..we win a couple of games on sheer luck not the COaching decisions..net result he's outta here!

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have a bad feeling we're gonna fuck this up no matter what record we finish with. We'll win too many games because the HC is coaching to save HIS job future of the team be damned. We'll be 1 or 2 spots out of the top 3 by winning improbable games by sheer luck. Should we finish in the top 3 positions, we'll draft another safety or DT or DB instead of a Qb because Hack needs several more years to be ready to start thereby giving cover to Macc's drafting him where he did.

#BadMoonRising

15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

These fans are so fickle, oh my lord.

Can't we just wait and see what develops as the season unfolds with the young players Mac has brought in and then make a judgment? I don't get the 'lets fire everyone, they've had a horrible preseason' syndrome that many here are over emphasizing. We know for a fact that at this moment the Jets have no QB worthy enough to lead this team to a at least a mediocre season. And that's the brunt of why this team is doomed to fail. The defense has been dominating all thru preseason, facing a very imposing front line - a good reason why any offense would struggle.

My oh my, reading these 'Just end this season' posts before it even starts, wow what loyalty.

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

My own personal thoughts on the FO-CS is that Macc the jury is still out and Bowles is a complete clueless idiot.

I'm very interested to see what Lee shows this year at the LB position... I didn't like the pick when it was made but I think i'll reserve judgement until this season and see what he does in year 2.
    Some of the other guys I'm interested in seeing are Burris , Jenkins & Mauldin, who I think is in a make or break season.

I like the additions to the coaching staff with Greene and Morton infusing some energy and youth (Morton) so we will see if that translates onto the field.
    My biggest worry is Bowles...if this guy can't coach up the talent then he is just an albatross around our neck and may very well be Macc's downfall even though he wasn't his hire.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Mac's sin was not seeing the need for a makeover the day he was hired. He tried saving the ship spending Idzic's $$$s with big FA signings (Reivs, Buster, Gilchrist, Carp, Fitz, Marshall, etc).

It didn't work.

Now after 2 long years Mac finally cuts bait and starts over.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Inheriting bad roster is a criminal offense for any new incoming GM, right?

Before Macc took over:

Jets had aging LBs. [Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, et al.]
    Jets had aging DBs. [Cro, Revis, revolving door at FS/SS]
    Jets had aging OLs. [Nick getting up there in age, as with Ferguson. Both Gs and RT was not replaced properly.]
    Jets had nobody at RB. [Chris Ivory. For crying out loud.]
    Jets had nobody at TE. [Literally]
    Jets had nobody at QB. [Mark Sanchez, then Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick. That's a HoF quality lineup right there, I tell ya.]

If you looked an inch deeper, you would have found that, most of the spots above have been replaced with young players. That includes:

LB/DB/TE/QB

It's not even like Macc had a franchise QB drop in his laps like that moron Idzik. [Yeah. Folks. He drafted Geno then walked away from Derek Carr. Thank him for the next 15 years.] So it's Macc's fault that the previous two GMs drafted like steaming pile of horse shit? Great. Just great.

P.S. About Macc going on spending spree in year 1: Drill some sense into your own heads, will ya? We all know Woody came onboard with this [full rebuild] idea only this year around. It is more than likely that Woody balked at the idea of full rebuild at that time. I don't know about you guys, but when I heard that 'competitive rebuild' bullshit, I immediately got the impression that [We need to go into full rebuild NOW, but this owner won't let me.]

#58 Zach, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    BleedingGreen55 and RuJFan like this.
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I got the 'sniveling' part but what's "J lawyer" supposed to mean? .

Jesuit?

20. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Jabroni? Jamoke? Jafa, Jagger, Jake, Jam Bun, Jank, Janner, Jawa, Jek? Damn there are a bunch of J's