49ers waive Pro Bowl Center Zuttah

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Aug 9, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Not saying to sign him, but worth a look. no stone left unturned. and again dude just made the pro bowl last season. he's not a scrub. we left mangold because he was declining and expensive. he's also still not signed IIRC

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Since there are limited spots on the roster, why not say who they should cut to give a player, who was just cut by one of the worst teams in the league a tryout, so that he can be on the team for one year. That one year possibly cutting into time to access younger players who might have a shot at being on the team for 4-5 years if not more.

The idea in getting rid of aging players who don't have it anymore isn't to bring in more older players who don't have it anymore. Like I said, he was practicing with the 2's and 3's on a team that won all of 2 games last year. And it wasn't because they brought in a bunch of FA and draft picks on the line, they brought in a FA RT, that is it ads far as I am aware.

Edit: Just wanted to add, not sure why anyone ever brings up the Pro Bowl anymore as if it is really a good measuring point

#22 The Waterboy, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  3. GasedAndConfused

it's not a great measuring point but bad players don't make it unless they are old and have a name for themselves. o-lineman usually don't get voted in by default since it's not a "sexy" position. maybe outside of LT.

we currently have 15 lineman. most likely we'll keep 10. I say the 6 that we can cut are adams, watts, bordolen, balducci, braden and leamon. that leaves a spot open for Zuttah even as a backup in case johnson get hurts or struggles. the lines are the foundation of any team and we have a young QB and no WRs. a solid o-line can help out a lot. and again not saying we SHOULD sign him, just saying we should take a look. no stone left unturned.

4. The Waterboy

Bordolen played well in his senior year and may have a shot to succeed, so to get rid of him for a player who likely only has one or maybe 2 years left doesn't make sense. Balducci just made the switch from DL to OL so once again why get rid of him so quick. Adams is one of the few you mentioned with some experience but at 27 with 2 years spent on practice squads, is a young 27. Watts even though I haven't read much lately, sounded like he had some potential.

I could keep going down the list but the fact remains they are all at least 4 years younger, most of them 6-8 years younger, so they are our "stones left unturned", the Ravens looked under their rock and saw Zuttah and even with him making the Pro Bowl they thought it was worth trading him to move up 12 spots in the 6th round.

A player who has been in the league for 9 years is not a stone left unturned.

5. tiger8mush

tiger8mush Member

The arguable best team in the league (Pats) gave a player (LB Harris) who was cut by one of the worst teams in the league (Jets) a tryout.

ajax and GasedAndConfused like this.
  6. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

Looks more North Korean than anything

7. The Waterboy

When you have all the other pieces in place that is a whole lot easier. After the Jets have won multiple Super Bowls we can discuss this further.

8. GasedAndConfused

while like i said not saying we SHOULD sign him. just saying it's worth a look. many of the guys with potential you listed will never start a game in their career. outside of brandon moore what converted DL ever played good at o-line for us?

No stone unturned means we look at every player available form vet cuts to UDFA. anything that can improve the team. doesn't mean we have to sign any of them, just means it's worth looking into.

9. GasedAndConfused

this^
    and we had plenty of cap to keep harris and he performed well. still we cut him and the pats grabbed him and he will likely start for them. it's moves like this why the pats are sucessful. not only that but for the people crapping on the idea of trading a low pick for matthews, the pats traded their 1st for cooks becuase according to bill "he was betetr then any player we could have drafted there) same goes for matthews he's likely better then any player we'll draft in the 4th round. good teams build via trade, FA, and draft. they don't hitch their wagon to 1 of them. hell the raiders brought lynch out of retirement and currently 6 teams are trying to do the same for calvin johnson

egelband and BacktoQueens like this.
  10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

North Korea Best Korea

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

you talking about Jordan Matthews?
    i wanted him so bad that draft, and we sat on our hands while Philly traded up for him. But hey we got Amaro (Face plant)..

Wish we traded Sheldon for him this year. Sucks Buffalo got him.
    Matthews would be great as a possession WR in our offense, and a big help to a young QB. Hopefully he leaves Buffalo after this season, and we get him anyway!

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is his old family recipe for egg foo yung.

13. NCJetsfan

I think the Jets keep only 9 OL, not 10. I basically agree with The Waterboy, but imo there's one very good reason to at least bring in Zuttah and work him out...the Jets need to evaluate Hack and Petty this year. If they are constantly getting pounded and pressured up the gut, then they can't do that. Zuttah may not have anything left if SF cut him, but I think Mac needs to leave no stone unturned trying to upgrade the OL.

GasedAndConfused and egelband like this.
  14. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

It would be criminal to not upgrade the line in some way shape or form. Otherwise we'll have 3qb's on IR this year.

There are always a bunch of surprise cut so we definitely need to be ready

15. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's obviously a rebuilding year but the Jets must keep Hackenberg and/or Petty upright and give him at least one reliable pass-catcher to evaluate.
    If these guys are spitting dirt after every play they will most-definitely fail. Which is hugely unfair and unwise.
    That said, I assume the Jets leadership understands this :) Hopefully they have some good guys and a nice system to protect these QBs.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Offensive lineman are the one position group we should be in the market for signing veteran players. You can't develop a young quarterback if they're on their back the entire time.

I'd be good with signing Zuttah if he still has some run left. I'd love to see Wesley Johnson pan out, but if he sucks then we need a replacement and quickly. The center directs the entire line and the QB needs to be comfortable with that player.

17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

IS there an offensive lineman cut by ANY NFL team not worthy of a look by the jets? TWO, count 'em TWO, offensive linemen picked by Mac in 3 drafts now and both in fifth round! No offensive lineman picked by Mac in 2017 but he selected 4 DBs and 3 receivers. Give me a break!

18. GasedAndConfused

yeah i was talking about matthews. it does suck he went to buffalo when we are desperate at WR and could have landed him pretty cheap

that could go with 9 for sure. maybe even 8. who knows. it's all a moot point ravens already signed him back
    it's a little too late sadly. he went back to balt.
    I agree. i said that our top 3 picks should have been offense this year. matter of fact i think one of my mocks went QB, WR, OT for rounds 1-3

tomdeb likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Tom, it was a terrible draft for OL in 2017. There were only a couple of really good prospects and none of them were LTs. You have to draft to the strength of the draft and not reach out of need. Taking an OT in the 3rd round would have amounted to a big reach and a wasted draft pick.

#39 NCJetsfan, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If he can help for the next 2-3 years, why the hell not? Because he is old? [Rebuilding OL will take more than 3 offseasons, mind you.]

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.