Shouldn't Bowles AND Maccagnan be fired if the Jets Tank?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 10, 2017.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Everyone seems to be on board that if Bowles tanks he is OUT as Jets Head Coach. Yet Mike Maccagnan, who has been building this team for 3 years, is safe if the team he fields goes (0-16)? Doesn't make much sense to me. This is a results business. The results for both would be (0-3) playoffs-wise and possibly fielding the worst team in the league Year 3? Mac had 2 great players (Williams and Adams) fall into his lap, but what else? At what point do you say these guys just aren't good? A 4th year of no playoffs? A 5th? I am a nice guy but I want to win. Everyone seeming to be fine with losing does not sit well with me.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I would be more inclined to fire Bowles than I would Macc. I personally am not high on Bowles ability to be a head coach, especially given how last year went, the locker room problems, time out usage, challenge usage, depth chart, etc.

Macc certainly deserves a ton of blame as well but I think Macc has shown more in his ability to scout players than Bowles has in coaching. I will say though that if we go 2-14 and ownership, or Woody's brother think its best to start from scratch, I wouldn't be entirely dismissive. I would prefer if Macc were given his choice at coach as he and Bowles are essentially on an even playing field (which is the most bizarre power structure).

I think both Macc and Bowles' jobs depend on how the players develop this season, can we be competitive, can our young core step up and contribute. The most important thing is will Hack or Petty amount to anything? Can they be starters? I think the QB questions is something that may do both Macc and Bowles in but the season is long, a lot left to unfold.

Yankjetfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Why do people keep saying Mac is good at scouting players? He's gotten us one good player, Leonard Williams, who fell into our laps. Leo also wasn't even the best player available; Vic Beasley just made 1st team all pro and is a pass rusher, which we needed way more than another DL.

I feel like this is some bizarre case of Stockholm syndrome where we praise our FO for getting us Robby Anderson and Juston Burris.

4. grkmanga31

I don't think his player selections are the greatest, but we also have to remember that we shouldn't be grading drafts this quickly either. Like I said, if they want to clean house after this season, and Hack doesn't look great then by all means. But draft classes can look very different as time goes on.

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Rule of a thumb is that GM gets to live through 2 HCs. In Macc's case, he inherited Bowles and so he gets to try for another 2-3 years with new HC, the one he selects.

To me, Bowles is gone at the end of the season and that's when Macc's clock starts ticking.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Right, but my point is Mac has built this team that Bowles has to put on the field. Most agree it is terrible, thus Bowles will likely fail and take the fall. I just don't get how Mac doesn't get any of the blame. Especially since going into 2017 it seems like the Jets are building for the future. If they go (0-16) to say (3-13) it means that the players Mac has drafted clearly are not working out so far. I guess players will have to be evaluated on an individual basis to see how Mac's moves look. Again, I don't like Bowles and I do like Mac, but I am starting to wonder why? :D

7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You see, I don't think it's terrible, not AT ALL.

I think this team is full of blue-chip hard-working kids who, if properly developed, will become starters.

So if you for a second assume that my view is right, then it follows that their poor play is result of Bowles' inability to develop, NOT Macc's inability to pick.

This takes us to "shitty picks" vs. "poor development" argument, which we can discuss until we are blue in the face, but there won't be enough evidence to declare either view to be correct. In this situation, you need to test who is right by changing ONE variable. Since Bowles is HC (lower position and a known POS I might add), you change HC.

If Jets look the same with new HC, then Macc needs to go.
    But you don't just throw away a potentially good GM based on an uncertainty.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I dont know how you can justify firing one and not the other.

If the Jets finish anywhere from 1-3 wins, I cant imagine a situation where either of them is back.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The other rule was hc gets 2 qbs, now going by what's available to him I think Bowles is safe as long as it's just an uneventful bad season.
    If things get ugly in the locker room, controversial moves in game are the only things that could change it.imo

10. At the very least Mac comes from a personnel/scouting background.He also deserves credit for reportedly convincing Woody the type of overhaul the scouting dept needed during his interviews.

I do like what he does from a systemic perspective including the draft.There is a clear plan going in & they generally stick to it.The Undrafted classes have drastically improved as well.

I still have a hard time getting past the lack of priority given to the offense.Thats the biggest indictment at this stage for both Bowles & Mac.

For Bowles it's become totally disregarding the offense until forced to acknowledge by the press..for Mac it's not resolving the QB issue,largely disregarding the OL, & not changing the "defense or death" perception that has plagued the team since Arguably Herm.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I am not on board that Bowles is getting fired if they tank. If some of the locker room issues persist from last season like Mo and Sheldon repeatedly being late, that would certainly give Mac the ammo to approach Woody and suggest a change, but if there's progress with the younger players, the vets play hard, the team looks prepared for games, etc, I don't see any way Bowles is let go with the roster the way that's it's currently constructed - regardless of their record. Honestly, I think with every vet that was let go, the leash for Bowles got longer. Full disclosure, I am not a Bowles fan. I have seen many things that I don't like about his coaching style, game planning, T.O. usage, but I think he gets this season and next before a decision is made if he's still the coach in '19...

12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think you have to give them both one more year. You can't give them zero to work with and then blame them for getting zero results. Of course, if things implode, that's a different story--giving them zero to work with and getting a clear net negative result, that's grounds for cleaning house.

13. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Get 'em all the eff outta here!!!!!

14. grkmanga31

Normally I would agree, but given that Woody foisted a terrible power structure on Macc, it seems a bit fairer to allow a GM his actual choice at HC rather than being stuck together with no choice.

Macc and Bowles should have never held the same amount of power and as a result, the power structure in and of itself has created murkiness going into 2018. Now, a lot of questions can be cleared up based on how players actually play, but it would have been nice if things weren't as convoluted as they are now.

15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Geno, Petty, Hack, Fitz, McCown...

I think Bowles already got his share of chances, so I think it's more likely that he is gone, unless something crazy happens. Not that he stays unless something crazy happens

16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Maybe a little different perspective...

Bowles' fate has little to do with Jets performance in 2017 and everything to do with who will be available as HC next off-season.

17. grkmanga31

I would fire Bowles again if he

A) Gave McCown more than 2-4 games as starter;
    B) Lost the locker room again;
    C) Does not hold players accountable
    D) Does not improve general ability to make in game adjustments, better time out usage, challenge usage, depth chart management, etc.
    E) Team plays lazy, uninspired football. This roster is riddled with young players and as such, there is absolutely no reason we can't compete every weekend. We won't win many games but like I said, 2017 isn't about winning, its about getting better and evaluating who wants to be here and who doesn't.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

What a security blanket for a head coach that group of QBs is! :)

Freddy Mondo and FJF like this.
  19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You must be new here....
    In these parts the BUSTs are announced about 20 seconds after first TC mishaps. :D

BomberJet likes this.
  20. grkmanga31

Lol, I got enough of that with Hack, and everyone saying he was a lost cause despite never taking any meaningful snaps in his NFL career.

RuJFan likes this.