Training camp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 29, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have screamed if they had taken Fournette instead of Adams (or at least not as loudly) and then taken Maye in the 2nd. LOL I"m glad things turned out the way they did, however.

Fournette could possibly have been a huge help for the young QBs this year or next, but I don't think he'll have anywhere near as long or great a career as Adams, and with safety being a bigger need and arguably a more important position than RB, there's no way I would have taken Fournette over Adams. IMO you don't balance the scales by reaching for a lesser player because he's an offensive player just because the offense has been ignored too much in the draft. IMO there wasn't another player in the draft who could carry Adams jock. He's that much better than any of the other players imo. The Jets had to take him.

I don't see McCaffrey as a primary back. I see him as complimentary, change-of-pace type RB, and no matter how talented, I don't think he was worthy of being taken with the #6 pick.

I totally disagree with Maye being Adams equal or anywhere near. He's fast and make some big hits, but I don't think he is anywhere near the leader or has the football intelligence that Adams has.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

If you're really trying to put yourself in Bowles' shoes and see things as he does, you need to stick your head up your ass first. ;)

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just in case McCown gets smoked, they can hide Hack another year by letting Petty get his ass smashed again. Obviously, Petty is Hack's buffer. This Oline will get a Qb smoked at some point during 2017 so it might as well be the 4th rd pick instead of the 2nd. Smart...

4. NCJetsfan

He is atrocious on the outside, but still, he was used to the NFL, the speed of the game, learned the system easier, etc. Burris came from a so-so collegiate program. They played some great teams but the coaching he received could definitely have been sub-par.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sounds like the qbs and Robbie Anderson are having a good day today at camp.
    Hack hit Anderson for 75 yard bomb.
    Twitter feed says all qbs looking better today.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Robby is having a great day of practice; o-line is still getting dominated though.

Can't wait to see how much improved Leonard Williams is in terms of rushing the passer.

FJF likes this.
  7. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Good to see Robby stepping up after a slow start to camp. Lord knows we need him to.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. FJF

One reporter said the o line has no answer for Leo. Marcus maye also getting a lot of praise. This defense has me very excited, if nothing else the speed should be a lot better than it has been in years

9. 101GangGreen101

I think Leo is going to have an all-pro season. He was already one of the best in the league at stopping the run. Add some efficiency in the pass-rush and he's going to be un-stoppable. He might make the Jets move on from both Mo and Sheldon.

Yeah, Jets have speed on every level of the defense. Line, Linebackers, secondary. Would love to see a foot race between this Jets defense and the 2011 Jets defense. Hopefully Maye breaks the 2nd round curse. Really surprised by his ability to cover, I thought he was strictly an in-box safety. He'll allow Adams to do whatever he wants on the field.

10. FJF

The versatility the 2 of them bring is going to be huge against the patriots no huddle.

All Gas No Shake and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Absolutely, it'll also help cover the deficiencies the cornerbacks have. I am guessing that players only meeting really got this team fired up, seems like the most competitive practice yet.

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, spoke too soon.

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

We all know how it is with Hackenberg as of right now. For every good throw there's a bad one.

14. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

On a positive note. It's impressive that a guy like Hackenberg with accuracy issues has avoided INTs as long as he has this preseason.

15. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Its nice that Hack is making some "wow" plays in addition to the terrible ones. Makes you think there might actually be something there, eventually.

16. NCJetsfan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/3_stars_from_day_8_of_jets_camp_including_cfl_star.html

By Connor Hughes

chughes@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK -- The Jets want to evaluate their quarterback position. That's really what this training camp is about: Figure out if Christian Hackenberg or Bryce Petty can be their quarterback of the future.

One issue: The defense isn't giving them much of a chance.

It was another solid practice for those in green, as the offense struggled throughout-- minus a sprinkle here and there of competence. Josh McCown, Hackenberg and Petty didn't throw any interceptions, but were sacked an alarming nine times.

For a detailed read on practice, Darryl Slater has more.

As for who stood out? Here are your three stars...

JUSTON BURRIS, cornerback: It seems only a matter of time before Burris replaces Buster Skrine in the base defense. He's having that good of a camp. On Monday, it was more of the same. Burris had three lunging pass breakups in team drills, and nearly came away with an interception. After an up-and-down rookie year, you can see he's playing with a ton of confidence. He's seeing the field well, anticipating throws, and breaking --sometimes -- before the receivers.

AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS, tight end: The offense wasn't good, but you can't ignore the highlight-reel catch by Seferian-Jenkins to close practice. The Jets put eight seconds on the clock, and the ball at the 10 yard line. The starting offense was then asked to score against the starting defense.

On first down, McCown threw an incomplete pass. On second down, another incompletion, but referees flagged Burris for (questionable) defensive pass interference. On the untimed down, Seferian-Jenkins made a marvelous, leaping catch in the back of the end zone. He out-jumped Demario Davis, high-pointed the ball, and kept it away as the linebacker took a few desperate swipes. Seferian-Jenkins spiked the ball in celebration afterwards.

FRANK BELTRE, linebacker: Beltre looked good in organized team activities and minicamp. He's had a few solid moments in training camp, but was on fire Monday. Beltre, whom the Jets signed after a brief stint in the CFL, had (unofficially) three sacks. The last of which ended the second-team offense's two-minute drill.

It should be noted most of Beltre's success has come against the reserve offensive line. But his play is promising. It will be interesting to see if he can translate the success to the preseason.

I think Burris is going to be a solid CB for us and will replace Skrine as the starter.

I think ASJ will become a star if he can stay sober and healthy.

I like reading this about Beltre. Between he, Donahue, Martin and Jenkins we could have the best OLB unit we've had in a long time.
    On first down, McCown threw an incomplete pass. On second down, another incompletion, but referees flagged Burris for (questionable) defensive pass interference. On the untimed down, Seferian-Jenkins made a marvelous, leaping catch in the back of the end zone. He out-jumped Demario Davis, high-pointed the ball, and kept it away as the linebacker took a few desperate swipes. Seferian-Jenkins spiked the ball in celebration afterwards.

[​IMG]

Robby Anderson ready to be No. 1 WR?

The Jets just lost Quincy Enunwa for the season.

FRANK BELTRE, linebacker: Beltre looked good in organized team activities and minicamp. He's had a few solid moments in training camp, but was on fire Monday. Beltre, whom the Jets signed after a brief stint in the CFL, had (unofficially) three sacks. The last of which ended the second-team offense's two-minute drill.

It should be noted most of Beltre's success has come against the reserve offensive line. But his play is promising. It will be interesting to see if he can translate the success to the preseason.

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If Lee and Jenkins can take a step up the D could be pretty damn good and fun to watch. Claiborne needs to stay healthy, and if Mauldin and/or Donahue can contribute it really could be a tough D.

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  18. FJF

Donahue really intrigues me. Beat guys have been raving about his motor

NCJetsfan, NYJFOREVER and tbruner12 like this.
  19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yeah, sounds like Mauldin has a fight on his hands. May the best man win. If Donahue can overtake him that would be a good sign.

20. FJF

Martin,bishop and beltre have all gotten reps with the 1s. Wouldn't surprise me if mauldin was a cut.

Walt White likes this.