Training camp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 29, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

To me it's all about next year's draft, because this team will almost certainly have a top 5 pick based on what I saw today.

To me, you need to throw the kitchen sink at Hackenberg so that when the pick rolls up next year, you can make the most educated decision possible.

McCown does nothing to help the Jets prepare for that decision and he also does nothing to save Bowles job. He's awful. Lose lose.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That's the idea. We can protect the potential starter, and we can tank for the #1. Jets should still go for a QB with 1st round pick. If Hack and the new draftee can both demonstrate how good they are, then Jets can trade one of them away for a king's ransom later.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The only way I wouldn't start Hack or Petty would be if the OL was just so bad that it couldn't be fixed and I didn't want to get them hurt. Even then, with McCown's age and injury history, he probably wouldn't last but a game or two anyway, so I might as well go ahead and start Hack or Petty. The Jets HAVE to find out what they have in those 2 QBs this year so they know whether they need to draft a QB next year. Starting McClown or Kaepernick does nothing for them.

4. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I wasn't expecting him to be a Revis. But since he kept playing #2, I wanted him to play like a #2. Worse than Skrine was at the time.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Is Kelvin Beachum actually out there participating?

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So you agree with me then, eh? I was saying just that. Let someone else take the beating while the OL gets unfucked.

7. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I was there and this nails a lot what I too saw. I don't think we have a starter quality Qb on the roster. Hack is taking steps in the right direction, but is still a year or two imo.
    He still lacks consistency, but he throws the best ball of all of the guys we got.

A few other guys stood out/I was paying attention to:

Robby Anderson - he's nearly uncoverable, moves at a different speed vs everyone else, but also had a few drops.

Chad Henson - going to be good. I thought he was a straight line Decker type, but he has more swivel in his hips. Works hard to set up corners.

Peake/Marshall both looked good.

A lot of competition at WR so should be interesting to see who makes the roster.

Rookie RB - McGuire - has good hands, built thick (not just a third down back), looked good.

TE - Jenkins - looks leaner, more explosive, I see why many are excited for him this year.

OVERALL - The defense has a chance to be good, but this is going to be one bad team...

8. 101GangGreen101

Actually I did, but you fail to see my point time and time again.

I'm done with this convo on this specific thread, feel free to continue this elsewhere. Us arguing on this thread is unproductive for those that want t.c news.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

boozer32 likes this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Will be looking at him to see if it translates in the games
    Throw Hack to the wolves? If Hack doesn't see the field this year he'll never play in the NFL. As bad as the Jets QB situation is we cannot be wasting seasons waiting for this guy to show something. This approach would work if the Jets had an established functioning QB that was considering retiring. Then you would have a reason to groom a replacement. But we have none of that and this guy had a high draft choice used on him. If you can't win this competition then you are not a NFL talent. CFL and Arena is your future.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

The way I look at it if Hacks the best of this bunch (McCown/Petty), and things don't work out this year where he looks like he's not ready, he would be a serviceable backup with 3 years left on his contract. And if this is the case maybe more time really is all he needs and in say 2 years from now he might be ready and we'll still have him. Aaron Rodgers sat for three years before he was the starter, granted that had more to do with Favre than Rodgers not being prepared sitting isn't always a bad thing.

BomberJet likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

He'll continue to be a backup or a 3rd stringer, but once you invest in a new qb especially early in the first round, you can't afford to screw that up. Throw the young guys out there. McCown is wasting reps.

12. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

The screwed up thing is they are installing a new offense that the 39 yo QB is familiar with. So he looks best right now. The young guys need to get up to speed or they sit.

But what good does that do for the team? Again they are making the players fit the system rather than adapting the system for the players strengths.

So if these guys can't learn a second offense in 2-3 years they are dogshit and the Jets need to draft some as yet undetermined savior QB.

How about making proper investments in the QB's you drafted?

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

looks the best but not good. right now the options look like, bad qb play from washed up never was or bad qb play from young guy with potential.
    so far bowles is picking the washed up never was. thats the problem

14. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think Bowles is sabotaging these guys to a certain extent. But it makes no sense.

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Here is another problem. If the Jets really stink it up and that is almost certain Bowles and his staff could be fired. So the process will start all over again. Hack, Petty will be on their 3rd offense scheme to learn and then the new QB will be coming in with all the hoopla that entails. So messing around with McCown is pointless and Hack or Petty needs to be playing this year. Because if they show anything then the Jets can look at other positions in the draft next year.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

yea, i can't think of one reason to run mccown out there every day with the 1's.

17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Bowles is missing a dozen chromosomes. Just saw it on the ESPN scoller. It is all starting to make sense.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

You deplorables are acting a bit surprised at what was witnessed at this scrimmage.....granted just a scrimmage so give them some time to get comfortable.

Come on guys, surely it will be bad. We should all know that and expect it. BUT its a necessary evil just like the kotite years were.

Hang in there and just think about the boat load of cap space and top 3 pick next year.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well Skrine was an experienced vet, Burris was a raw rookie, adjusting to life in the NFL and learning the D. What do you expect?

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Where's @tbruner12? he has been beating this drum for a while. Hopefully the oline can build some chemistry within a few games into the season after having TC and preseason to iron out the wrinkles of a new offense.

The 3rd game of preseason will determine where this oline is and if there should be some concern.