Give Morris Claiborne #24

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 3, 2017.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't believe in retiring any player's number, in any sport, so I have no problem giving the number to Claiborne. I think it's a better tribute to a great player when you see the number worn by some other player, you remember the number was worn by a previous great player. Nevertheless, I will defend Revis as one of the greatest CB's to ever play this game despite falling off last year and I think Jet fans should evaluate him on his whole career and not just the poor year last year. As for his salary demands, I don't begrudge any player from trying to get the most money he can for his services. Better the player get it than the owner. On a larger scale, I think the lesson to be learned from Revis is that no matter how great he was at his CB position, he was not an impact player in the same manner as a great QB is. This should be considered when evaluating the play of the two top rookies drafted. No matter how well they play, they're not going to be a deciding factor in the Jets getting to the playoffs.

2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

These are the Jets, everyone knows the two guys on the bench are better than the guy playing.

Freddy Mondo, K'OB and FJF like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Except geno, he never got that love

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, I can say that. If I signed a contract, I'd honor it, not hold out for more money. I'm not a greedy, selfish bastard like Revis.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Fuck Revis.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think Revis is a piece of shit and one of, if not the most, selfish players and people I have ever met. Last year he was a flat out embarrassment and thief taking $17 million for play that he should have paid the Jets for. Not to mention winning a ring in New England.

Having said all of that, his number should still be eventually retired by the Jets. 2008-2012 he was the best CB in the NFL and maybe all-time. Revis Island wasn't just a gimmick. It was true. 2013 he was wasted in Tampa Bay, 2014 he won a Super Bowl, 2015 he returned to the Jets and played okay. Helped rejuvenate a fan base that was pretty low in 2014 and ended up winning 10 games.

All in All, on the field, he is one of the best Jets of all-time. Not really debatable.

7. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

He was a great player, but not a great Jet if that makes sense. I would retire 52 before 24.

papapump and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

Completely makes sense. He was Mevi$ for a reason. Alone on Revis Island for a reason. Not a team player. And I agree that David Harris and Nick Mangold should be retired first and feel more like all-time Jets. This is Revis' fault. I hope he looks back on that and regrets it, but highly unlikely.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Fuck Revis.

And fuck Gastineau.

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He'll look back but his vision will be blocked by stacks of cash

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. The Dark Knight

:D Truth!

12. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Give him the number. Revis was a great talent, but had the loyalty of a snake.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Mark was despised by blue collar, no nonsense Klecko, but loved by fans like me who loved the NY Sack Exchange and loved his sack dance before sacks even existed. Revis on the other hand is despised by ever person on the planet. Even his own mother hates him.

14. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Revis is an all-time great, and I'm glad they're not making 24 available.

Last year was unfortunate, but maybe it's the fact that the team had major issues at nearly every position that I find it difficult to hold a major grudge against him. As for the "greed", I can never blame any player for going after every last penny they can in a dangerous sport like this, no matter how frustrating it can be to the fanbase. Too bad he won his title with the Pats, but we were the ones who traded him off the team in the first place.

15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I was too young to remember/enjoy the Gastineau years, but after reading Klecko and Fields book, you are certainly right. Klecko used every opportunity to rip Mark whenever his name came up. Everything else I've read indicated Mark was completely self absorbed, aloof, only cared about getting sacks and had zero interest building any kind of comradery on or off the field with other Jet players.

And maybe I'm wrong here, but I've gathered most of the old school posters here on TGG that watched him play, recognized his talent, but found him to be much more of an ass hat.

These are my thoughts.......I welcome others :)

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Revis signed with the Pats and won a Superbowl there.His number should never be retired .Then gave up last year and made a fool of himself every week.Id give his number to Buster Skrine if it was up to me.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

He tried boxing after football and got his ass kicked, and he has a cute daughter! that's about it. Oh...and he cost us a SB ring with a late hit on Bernie Kosar

Acad23 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. If Claiborne has a great year, it will restore some dignity to the #24. Yeah, Revis was a great player when younger, but he was and always will be a greedy douchebag, and doesn't deserve any loyalty, especially after last season where he mailed it in and just took the Jets' money. He showed zero leadership, class, or love for the team. He doesn't deserve to be honored. Gastineau didn't, either.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I thought Revis was getting jail time for his shenanigans ???

As usual, this team has an ass backward approach to retiring numbers ...the entrance criteria for the ROH should be based both on player character and not just performance on the field

IMO Revis is a failure both ways....so NO NO NO

JMHO

tomdeb likes this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

When Bowles is finally sent packing (none too soon), send along a Revis jersey along with a sample of a deactivation sheet used for each weeks' game (hint, hint). Revis had no business playing last year after he refused to even try to tackle David Johnson on the long TD run. Revis only wanted to collected salary period, and wide receivers, even mediocre ones, abused him all year.

NCJetsfan likes this.