Here's Why 2017 Won't be So Bad: 2016 was THE WORST

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 12, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Agreed, but inexperience can be a bitch. Finding ways to win, learning to win.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Needed a good laugh...TY

Is Hack going to become a Geno Smith hoping for the forever hoping miracle???

tbruner12 likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We saw plenty of that in 2015. Made alot of people think the team was much better than they really were.

4. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

This would be the only way an 8-8 campaign would be a good thing - is if we're winning games because of Hackenberg. No trick plays or flags or BS, but because Hackenberg is throwing for 250+ yards and leading the team on GW'ing drives.

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I wish I shared some of you guys optimism , maybe as I get older I get wiser or maybe Im just more cynical but I just dont see a good season or reason for hope this year---in the future years ,yes but this year under this coach with this team = TRAIN WRECK

JohnnyJet, Peebag and TonyFtLaud like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Again, I wouldn't call myself optimistic. I have been optimistic in the past, even hoping for potential Super Bowl runs. This year (8-8) would shock me, so I don't really think that is optimistic. :D I just think with the lack of expectations and youth infusion, the team will be more fun to watch than 2016. That is not saying much, as 2016 was brutal.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. MurrellMartin

Neither do I but if Hackenberg becomes the QB many thought he was after his first year at Penn State and we have a QB for the future the team can win any number of the games because in today's NFL a good QB can mask so many things.

This is the only hope we have for 2017.

8. TonyFtLaud

Even a good QB would struggle with this roster. The biggest upside IMO if Hack shines is the value of an early pick in a QB heavy draft. We could turn that into several extra early picks and accelerate the rebuild process a little.

CBG and FJF like this.
  9. MurrellMartin

That or we could land a franchise player on the OL, which will be needed. Beachum isn't the long-term solution at LT.

10. TonyFtLaud

Knowing the value Mac places on O line, I can't see him passing on the opportunity to add multiple picks to draft a LT. I would agree with him in this scenario. We're very likely to have a top 3 pic if not the first overall pick. That would be worth way more than any O lineman .
    As far as Beachum , I don't know what to expect from him honestly. He had a great year in 14 and looked very good to start 15 before going down with the knee injury. It's a 2 year recover from the surgery , (think big Mo) so he could very well return to form and be a top 5 tackle as he was in 14 or his health issues could linger. If that's the case, with multiple early picks, we can address the tackle position in rounds 2 or 3. I'm more concerned with the RT position. I have stated before in a different thread ,I strongly believe that the LT position is way over valued in the league. The best pass rushers now come from the left side of the D as it's a shorter path to the QB, exposes the ball and more importantly in most cases the QBs throwing arm making the RT as , if not more valuable than the LT.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Interesting POV on RT vs. LT, and that makes some sense. But are you advocating for taking OL if the Jets have a top 3 pick, either using that pick for a a franchise level OL, or trading down for multiple high picks and using them for the OL? My opinion is that if they get a top 3 pick, despite what Hack does (unless he somehow instantly becomes the 2nd coming of Namath), they need to grab the best QB available.

So, what are your thoughts?

Peebag likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

I know most won't agree with my theory on LT vs RT but every coach and DC plays there best rusher against the RT for the reasons I mentioned .
    That was a response to a hypothetical question where Hack shows he is the future. If that were to play out and Hackenberg really did shine, and we are in the position of having our future QB and a top pick. I would trade back and stock pile picks.I would not spend a #1 or top 3 pick on an Out Lineman when that pick should easily bring a 1 St 2nd 3rd and a 1st and maybe 3rd in 19. The trade back wouldn't be far , there are a few QB needy teams I think will finish just behind us. This roster has needs beyond o line , the skill positions are the Leagues worst. I'd look at Barkley , McFadden, Key and the top WR FOR the first pick, O line in the 2nd or 3 Rd round depending on the talent available.
    I would take a QB later. If Hack is the FQB we can't spend the first pick for a clipboard holder.
    I know there will be the usual posters who jump on this and scream O LINE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS, O line is the most important group on the team. To them I pose a question. Will the Eagles (with the #1 ranked O line) be playing the Browns ( #2 ranked O line) in the Superbowl?
    The league has evolved, quick passing, west coast styles can mask an o lines weakness. It's all about creating mismatches and getting the ball out quickly. Now we have to see if Hack has the mental make-up to do that consistently and accurately.

Walt White and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, IF,,,big IF,,,Hack shows he can be the FQB, then it gives them the ability to trade down and stockpile quality picks. But what those picks should be, it's too soon to tell. I would lean towards taking a stud RB, and then a stud OL or Pass Rusher probably. or if one of the top QBs slipped to them, I would pounce because you can never have enough QBs,

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

I agree it's just way too early . The draft class is really an unknown as is our roster. A group perceived as a weakness , could surprise. An area perceived as a strength could falter. This is a very young roster and some will surely rise, take the next step and prove their worth. Others will fail to live up to expectations. It's inevitable...
    I'm sure the draft prospects will do the same.
    He'll I'm honestly not convinced that we will see very much of Hack ( though I am a firm believer he should be given as many starts as possible to evaluate him). I would not be shocked to see this franchise play McCown and Petty in order to bring Hack along slowly. I don't endorse or agree with it, but this franchise has a way of making one think WTF.....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting. That bears some consideration and observation on my part.

16. NCJetsfan

Spot on.

If Hack does prove to be a FQB, then I would definitely trade down, but if there's a stud pass rusher that just won't be there if the Jets trade down, then I might be tempted to take him if there aren't any other great pass rushing prospects. He would have to be a Khalil Mack, Clowney-type pass rusher however. Otherwise, I'd trade down, and with the extra picks would look to add a LT, pass-rushing OLB (unless Donahue or some other Jets OLB proves to be a revelation), #1 WR, RB, CB, and quality C and OG prospects in the draft.

17. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

Respectfully, this team has NO OFFENSIVE LINE capable of blocking for the run OR keeping the QB vertical. NO HEAD COACH can overcome that. If you will recall some of Parcell's first moves were securing capable offensive line play. He knows football. NO offensive line play= no time of possession, poor field position, turnovers from forced play, etc, etc.............

Peebag likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Even if the O-line was terrible, 0-16 is unacceptable. 4-12 usually is, but I would need to see how the games played out to see if Bowles should be fired or not. As for this O-line, Wesley Johnson was a pretty solid Center last year. Carpenter is good, Winters is solid, Beachum, Ijalana and Shell are question marks but I am not ready to say they are terrible yet.

19. steviep

steviep Active Member

I think theyll be 3 win horrible -- but -- if you are looking for surprise -- here in my opinion is how it can happen.
    The defense is not horrible. There is talent and its pretty young. The years that the jets have done well are year where they didnt over-rate their QB. When they recognized that their QB was mediocre -- they relied on defense and ground/pound/ultra conservative. Westhoff actually said on the air last year that when Tannenbaum decided that Sanchez was a star and should be featured -- the team went down. SO -- i think that if Forte/Powell are asked to run -- and the QB is asked to do little -- maybe you can wind up with 9 wins if everything goes 100% correct. In the NFL that would not be shocking. Id still take the under.

20. NCJetsfan

I disagree. With the question marks surrounding this team, with all the young players, and with Bowles and Rodgers around, 9 wins would absolutely be shocking in the extreme, especially considering the Jets' schedule. If the Jets were to win 9 games, then Hack would definitely be their FQB and Bowles would get Coach of the Year and be here for quite a while.

ColoradoContrails likes this.