Josh Allen anyone??

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cman68, Jun 9, 2017.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

If he is THE pick - i am sure the jets would go for the expense and cower this guy with a life coach, financial advisor, and security guards......wouldn't and shouldn't matter how close NYC is.

get him a few high brow hookers every week and sit back and relax.

Cman68 likes this.
  2. jilozzo

"Right now I'd rank them Darnold, Allen, Rosen, we'll see how the season plays out."

reads like a greasy law firm.

RuJFan likes this.
  3. Watched 2 games each of Allen, Darnold & Rosen.

Allen- Not impressed. I rank him 3/3. Once you get past the size, footwork, movement & big arm..there isn't really that much to like. He's inaccurate on all types of throws, he's a split second late getting rid of the ball & I have yet to see him drive the ball down the seam even once. All of his throws are outside the numbers & although he has a good arm..it isn't good enough to throw over the top of cover 2 in the NFL which is what he will see if he can't work the middle of the field. The big plays he makes outside of the pocket are quite often reckless throws right into coverage that he will not get away w. at the next level. He has a subpar surrounding cast & is quite often under heavy pressure. He also has a whole offseason to refine his game. The tools are all there..but he's a distant 3rd right now in my book.

Darnold- Same deal as Allen with the size/movement/arm. He makes all the throws can't take that away from him but the surrounding cast certainly helps. The pocket movement is a very strange evaluation at this stage. Never really seen anything like it. From a strategic standpoint it's an outright disaster. It's as if rather than dropping back vertically he goes horizontally in some sort of strange "icky shuffle" sort of manner. That said...when you actually hone in on the biomechanics there is no wasted movement what so ever hence he gets away w. it quite often. While he won't be able to do that at the next level the "Biomechanics" suggests that learning proper drop backs will be little issue if he buys in. Throws w. a real top on the ball..dynamic ball placement.The Ben Roethlisberger comparisons make total sense. I'd like to see the drop back discipline show at least some improvement this coming year.

Rosen- Came away really impressed. Very strong on his drop backs, has a real command of the offense, makes every throw & drives the ball down the seam( a must for the meadowlands). His pocket presence leaves something to be desired. He's benefited from some quality pass pro & quite often he gets away w. standing stationary after his initial drop while scanning the field under little to no duress. I'd like to see him either step up,side step or boot outside the tackle box just alittle more often. Really like this kid's swagger. He's my #1 right now & it isn't even close.Reminds me ALOT of Drew Brees when he was coming out.

NYJetsO12, jilozzo and RuJFan like this.
  4. jilozzo

at this very early stage I have a toe in the rosen camp.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You should have a toe in all 3 camps to be honest. All 3 very good QBs with a lot of room to improve.

6. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

All three? There's reason to have a toe in on at least 6 potential draft declarations this year. And another 3 to be skeptically put under the microscope.

Personally, this is my list of QB's I'll be keeping an eye on this year, in no significant order:
    Sam Darnold
    Josh Allen
    Josh Rosen
    Luke Falk
    Jarrett Stidham
    Baker Mayfield
    Lamar Jackson
    Mason Rudolph
    Nick Fitzgerald
    Jake Browning
    Chase Litton

Guys to particularly keep an eye on as sleepers are Mayfield (not for his ability, he's clearly an excellent QB, but for whether he can grow up as a man and lead a team that lost its excellent top tier playmakers to the draft) and Fitzgerald (who is going to get Dak Prescott comparisons coming from Miss St., but is already a superior runner and if he quietly improves as a passer as Dak did, he won't be overlooked.)

#66 TouchyFeely, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  7. 101GangGreen101

I think Mayfield and Browning are really good college QBs. Unfortunately they are undersized and I don't see them being good in the NFL. Lamar Jackson, he needs to show he can win within the pocket, right now I don't see his skill-sets translating to the next level. I'll have to check out Nick Fitzgerald and Jarrett Stidham.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He probably won't enter the draft in 2018 as he'll just have completed his sophomore season, but another QB to follow/watch with an eye towards 2019 or 2020 is Duke's Daniel Jones. He was a redshirt freshman last season who was thrust into the starting lineup when Duke starter Thomas Sirk was injured. He completed 62% of his passes for 2,836 yards, 16 TDs and 9 interceptions. He seemed to elevate his game to another level after his first five games, and threw only one interception over his last 7 games. He enters this season with the longest streak in the nation without an interception (173 straight attempts). Duke HC David Cutcliffe says that Jones is an outstanding leader and competitor, is a special talent, and in terms of technical aspects of the game, he is second to none. He's 6'2", 215 pounds so has good size already.

9. TouchyFeely

I caught on to Daniel Jones last year when he more than held his own against Deshone Kizer who as we all know has his flaws but still went in the second round this past draft. He arguably outplayed Kizer and ended up leading the team past Notre Dame.

If we're going to go that far ahead though we should include guys like Jake Bentley.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I wasn't trying to create an all-inclusive list of QBs that fans should watch/follow for the future. Hopefully, Hack or Petty will work out, or if not, we will get Darnold, Allen or whomever looks like the best QB prospect next year. With the way things usually work out for the Jets, however, we may be looking at the 2019 or 2020 draft to find our FQB.

For what school does Bentley play?

11. TouchyFeely

South Carolina. He entered college early and play as a true freshman in what was essentially his high school senior year. He shows tons of promise and I have no doubt he'll improve.

12. 101GangGreen101

Just saw 2 games of Nick Fitzgerald and I think he's got some talent. Saw the Arkansas game where he was pretty much flawless. Able to scramble, and has very good prototypical size for a QB. Very good deep ball. Can make all of the throws, but has spotty mechanics, tends to want to run first and hold onto the ball.

The Auburn game specifically shows his negatives. I think he's a first round pick, he could be right there with Josh Allen. There are some good QBs that could be coming out that have very good size. If Hack doesn't work out, I wouldn't mind double dipping on QBs. One in the first and maybe another in the 4th round or so.

13. NCJetsfan

Why not pull a 1965-type draft and take 4 QBs? ;):D

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Darnold and Rosen will help us turn the corner. Even with "problems with biomechanics" they are great players and blue chip prospects. They make hack petty et al look like junior college players..

Anyone remotely thinking our two present QBs is an answer should call all the Genobots and ask how they are doing

Suck for for Sam if Rosen stays in school!!!!!!

Not popular with the Jets Roster but we need to lose big time this year or the misery continues

#74 NYJetsO12, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  15. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

16. Leicester Jet

17. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

If we somehow don't end up with Darnold or Allen next year I'm gonna be sick, thank GOD theres two potentially great ones and were literally the worst team in the league, this is lining up pretty well so far.

18. 101GangGreen101

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. Leicester Jet

My bad, sorry. There seems to be two trains of thought about him:-

a) As you say if he has a good season he could declare for the draft - but he would be an injury risk for the team signing him : or
    b) He stops in college for another year to prove his durability - but of course risks further injury

Either way, you pay your money and take your choice with him or walk away and look elsewhere

20. 101GangGreen101

No need for apologies, sometimes I have to second guess what I type cause I always confuse the two.

A) Potential seeks to normally outweigh the injury risk. 2 good seasons of Rosen on film and someone will take him high.

B) What player returns to school to prove their durability? I would understand if Rosen, never had a good year and had full of promise like Gunner Kiel from Cincy, but not in this case