The Idzik debris field aka: 2 years of DP's...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

NY Jets68 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

The article is a bit harsh on Sheldon but otherwise does a good job in listing the shit that's come through the revolving door.

How is Dexter McDougle still on the roster?

NYJalltheway likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I knew he wasn't the right man to hire because he had little experience in scouting and personnel, had been mostly an administrator, and he was about the only prospect who was willing to accept Rex as HC. There were several very good GM prospects who wouldn't even interview with the Jets or consider the job because that moron Woody was going to force the new GM to keep Rex. Still, I hoped for the best, but after Idzik's first season in 2013, I KNEW that he was incompetent, a huge mistake, and that we needed to cut our losses ASAP. I really wanted both Idzik and Rex gone after 2013. With the Jets having 12 draft picks in 2014, they had the opportunity to reshape their roster in a significant fashion.

I wonder where we'd be now if Woody had done the right (really the only intelligent thing) and fired Idzik and Rex following the 2013 season, allowed the new GM to hire the HC and to start the rebuild at that time, instead of forcing the competitive rebuild on Mac and Bowles.

In the first round alone, the Jets could have addressed their huge need at WR by taking Brandin Cooks or Kelvin Benjamin. If they really wanted a S, they could have taken Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix or Deone Bucannon. If they finally wanted to address the OLB position in a significant fashion, they could have drafted Dee Ford. If they wanted to address the OL, they could have taken OT Ja-Wuan James. They even could have addressed our glaring need at QB by taking either Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr.

If the Jets had traded up or down, they could have possibly added players such as Khalil Mack ILB, Jake Matthews OT, Anthony Barr OLB, Zack Martin OG, Taylor Lewan OT, CJ Moseley ILB, Xavier Sua-Filo OG, Jordan Matthews WR, Marqise Lee WR, Allen Robinson WR, ASJ TE, Davante Adams WR, Carlos Hyde RB, Jarvis Landry WR, CJ Fiedorowicz TE, Gabe Jackson OG, or Trai Turner OG.

It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach to think about the possibilities and where we might be right now. Woody Johnson better not screw up this rebuild. If he does, I'm done with this team until he dies or sells the team.,

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I still can't get over the Geno pick. I was screaming bust as soon as his name was called. I was terrified when I heard the Jets were infatuated with him in the days and weeks before. Just knew he was an idiot who couldn't work under center, read a defense, or lead an offense.

Somehow he hit on Enunwa, so at least we got that.

The Pryor pick was dumb. He took bad routes, not a ballhawk. He reaches for an unpolished project safety. Idiot. It was either Cooks or Clinton-Dix right there but Idzik was just too stupid. Now Cooks will probably score 8td's against us this year when he should've been a Jet all along.

Surprised Amaro busted. I really liked that pick and thought he'd be good.

5. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Also for some reason we drafted Tajh Boyd in the 6th round in 2014...this may have been a Rex pick. Another hopeless guy who never had a chance. Throw away pick. However right after Boyd the Steelers end up taking Daniel McCullers (solid backup) and the Texans took Andre Hal. These guys aren't stars but they are competent, useful late round finds that good organizations uncover.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Guy never stood a chance, couldn't overrule the h.c. that survived a gm being fired, couldn't clean out the scouting dept. and never should have been there in the first place. Woody shod have cleaned house after 2012 or kept Rex and Tanny for 1 more year and see if they could fix it. woody's biggest mistake so far as owner are those 2 years

Red Menace and Walt White like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Where do you get that he couldn't clean out the scouting dept.? I've never heard or read anything to that extent and have a hard time believing that.

Idzik never had a chance because he wasn't qualified to be the GM. You're right that he shouldn't have been hired. Either Rex should have been fired too, or Woody should have allowed the new GM to make the call.

In terms of Woody's biggest mistake, I disagree. That was not doing his homework on the Westside stadium and then not having a backup plan for them to still have their own stadium instead of becoming co-tenants with the Giants.

ColoradoContrails and almbleamal like this.
  8. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

That was a rex pick. I can't remember why he was watching Clemson but it was a favor pick. Good teams don't make favor picks, and good teams don't have guys like Rex as their coach.

Bottom line, Rex shoud've never stayed with Idzik and chances are we're gonna find this Macc and Bowles relationship, that woody set up, doesn't work out. Good teams don't have shit owners like Woody.

9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

His son was carrying Boyd's jock strap around for him.

mattyd99, NY Jets68 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It was written,why you have a hard time believing it when bradway was runnning the scouting dept and somehow stayed employed through his own firing is another subject though.
    As for idzic being unqualified, I recall reading his resume and being impressed on paper, he was a scout until the cap was put in place, then turned capologist when everyone realized he was the best numbers guy in the room. Turns out he couldn't pick any better than Tanny, and let's not pretend mac has that much better a batting average right now either, but I would take a candidate with that well rounded resume any day and roll the dice.
    As for the WSS, I don't know the whole story, I was down south for that but I am pretty sure it's out come didn't set us back as far as those 2 years did. From an x and o stand point that is

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What is not included in the "Final Tally" is that of the fourteen not still with the Jets eight, having been waived, released, traded or otherwise let go are currently playing for other NFL teams. On the other hand if half will always be riding someone's bench what was missed in selecting them? What is the average draft selection success rate in the NFL and how do we quantify success? What's the success rate here vs. league average with free agent acquisitions? Maybe the problem is more with development than simply getting the wrong guys to begin with.

Not that the Jets have let any superstars get away recently but are we sure the draft is the biggest problem?

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]

I'll never grow weary of this photo.

JDeacon and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Boyd was a Rex pick. He promised Boyd we would draft him and Rex loved the kid.

14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Your right about Boyd being a Rex pick. His son was a freshman Reciever at Clemson Boyd's final year

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is odd how a guy can do this and then be so shit in the NFL.

In his final college game against the Ohio State Buckeyes in the 2014 Orange Bowl, Boyd helped lead the Tigers to a 40–35 victory, completing 31 of 40 passes for 378 yards and five passing touchdowns. He also had 127 rushing yards and a touchdown.[11] His performance set an Orange Bowl record for total yards in a game.

16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Is that Geno?

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Yep. Right around the middle of the first round.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Kinda encapsulates his entire NFL career so far...

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

McDougle was THE stupidest 3rd round pick the jets ever made. The guy was hurt in high school, missed almost his entire senior year of college football due to injury, and hasn't shown squat in 3 years with the jets. OMG-- most NFL teams did not even have him on their draft board, yet Idzik/Bradway take him in high 3rd round-- Terry Boobway crowed after the draft that "McDougle is the smartest CB in the draft!" That and a buck might buy you a lollypop or a sucker (like Terry Boobway).

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this^
    sheldon was a great pick. how often do you pick a player that wins DROTY his rookie season and follows up with a probowl the next year. sure 2105 and 2016 haven't been greta years for him cause off the field issues but with all that in the past and him being on a contract year and wilk back healthy and williams going beast mode, i expect Richardson to have a huge season. Outside of that he pretty much nailed it. the sad thing is all the wasted high picks. on the plus side winters was a great 3rd round pick and enunwa was a steal in the 6th