Disappearance of Maura Murray

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So recently I became fascinated with a show on Investigation Discovery called Disappeared. It chronicles people whom have disappeared in all sorts of ways; murders, suicides, pick up and leave to start a new life, etc. It mostly shows people whose bodies have never been discovered and there is usually never a resolution as to what happened to them.

I watched an episode on a young woman who disappeared in Haverhill, New Hampshire after departing her dorm room from UMass Amherst in 2004. I wanted to read a bit more into it so I googled her name only to find that there are thousands upon thousands of posts about her on amateur 'websleuthing' boards, as well as several blogs and a book. One of the gentleman quit his job to dedicate his life to researching and resolving his case.

The basics are on the wiki page and in quotes below. Any theories? Anyone read about his case?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Maura_Murray

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Without saying too much, someone from our old tailgate, his daughter was presumably abducted in 2011. Not from the tailgate, though. Also a college student, disappeared from campus. She's definitely dead, her family has come to terms with that part. They're relentless about finding her remains, but it doesn't appear likely. Authorities did find a body that wasn't hers - well, a skeleton. FBI was on a major manhunt, people complained that it was only getting huge attention because she was a white girl from an affluent family. That's a subject for another day, and I don't dispute that. Anyway, I don't really care that she used drugs probably more than she should have, it's still very sad. Not sadder than anyone else disappearing by any stretch, but still very sad.

One night I had the TV on droning away, while reading a book at the same time. Funny, I know. Then it kind of filtered in what was being said, I looked up, and saw her Dad pleading for his kid's safe return. "Who? What?! Oh, my God!" Our tailgate busted up after The New Dump home opener, but we all still kept in touch occasionally. So, yeah, we rushed to call each other in utter disbelief. I'm fairly convinced that they'll never find her let alone who did it, why did it, if did it, but it's hard for me to believe that somebody doesn't know something. I'll leave it to you to figure out what case I'm talking about. You probably already did. It remains unsolved, and if I was a betting man, I'd say it will stay that way.

#2 jetophile, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  3. jetophile

Oh, by the way, I have caught 'Disappeared' a handful of times, just not that episode. In do know about the case, though. Sure, she may have wandered off and died of hypothermia, but I wouldn't rely on wiki on this one. I also watch 'Deadly Women', 'Wicked Attraction', 'Forensic Files', etc. For the most part, total pulp trash. 'Autopsy' on HBO back in the day had some crazy stuff, but that was just murders that WERE solved mixed in with other weird shit. Missing persons cases are mind-bending as well as heartbreaking, but if you're intrigued about unsolved murders as well, the Villisca axe murders is pretty extreme. 'Unresolved Mysteries' on reddit is generally informative re: missing persons and bloody murder. Some of it is beyond sadder than sad, much of it beyond angering, some of it is mindless, but it can be very thought provoking. There are some well thought out theories and good research from armchair Poirots, but you have to weed out the nut jobs - as in some of the posters are full on bananas. Not for the nervous, be warned - but if you have an interest in this kinda thing, I'm sure you'd find it, well, interesting. No doubt Maura Murray is on there. Just haven't come across it recently.

4. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff. I don't watch TV, but the VSP post missing persons information on FB, and again on the anniversary of the disappearance. I spent an hour or so reading through them this weekend... More than I would have guessed.

I do think there are a lot more serial killers running about, than the FBI is willing to admit.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

well, Live Free or Die, you know

6. jetophile

I knew you'd come through. She wasn't wearing a seat beat, that goes without saying.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Interesting story. I read her whole wiki page, and it doesn't add up. Chances are if there wasn't an answer by now, we'll never get it.

8. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

Pretty sad stuff.

Only read the Wiki pages, but I would say the 3 most likely things are (in order of likeliness) are:
    1. She was abducted
    2. She passed out outside and froze to death
    3. She ran away to Canada.

The coldest VT month is February... It barely gets over 10 degrees during the afternoon. When I lived up there there were multiple occasions where college students got hammered, passed out outside and died.

Does not appear she was on her way to Stowe or Burlington when she crashed (112 in Woodsville), that is very very out of the way in regards to the way I think someone would go. If that was her destination, the logical choices would have been to go south to Lebanon and hop on I89, or take 302 and go to Montpelier and hop on I89 that way.

Just quickly looking at the map, the only reason it would seem she would go to Woodsville is to get on I91 and that is a straight shot to the Canadian border.

There was obviously something going on with her if the behavior is accurate.

#9 John Lombardo, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  9. jetophile

She's dead. It's dumb to surmise that's she not. I hope she hung out at Nectars and ate at the Swiss Pot beforehand. Ran on foot to Canada, she's dead in a ditch. It's the not knowing part that haunts people. "No other footprints", so it's probably just plain old shitty police work, ya know, after they stomped all over it. Or aliens abducted her.

#10 jetophile, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  10. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

3 is way below 2 and 1 in terms of probability.

Nectars is for dirty hippies

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

They'd have found her remains if she passed out and froze to death. Somebody picked her up and took her somewhere else.

12. Jay731

Jay731 New Member

I seen the documentary. My thoughts are if they suspect some one was In the passenger seat when accident occurred. Both air bags were deployed. Why not search for touch DNA on passenger airbag to finally put to rest if someone was sitting there. The face is one of the oiliest parts of body pretty much impossible to touch an air bag and not leave DNA. Then go from there.