1998 AFC Championship Game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by matt robinson 17, Jul 11, 2017.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The Doug Brien game would probably rank 2nd or 3rd on my list. As insanely brutal as that loss was in real time, we most likely weren't winning in NE the following week.

I hear you, though. That loss was simply an abomination.

2. 86 playoffs against Cleveland has its rightful place no doubt. The 98 game had a sense of optimism after a day or so b.c the consensus was that the future was very bright. Now the very next regular season game...against New England of course(who else?) that has a very hefty argument for #1. Not only did Vinny go down for the season..there were several other injuries in that game including Jason Ferguson who was a major part of that defense playing the nose.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Still pains me.

slimjasi and Red Menace like this.
  4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kick in the balls, Matt.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Jets/Raiders Divisional PO loss, 30 -10. Just another debacle in the life. Pennington went belly up from stage fright and our defense went on vacation. Penny's face was pure panic, like the idiot teenager in a horror flick who runs INTO THE BASEMENT instead of running OUTSIDE. "Is there anybody down there?" "Well, since ya asked, here's an ice-pick to the eye-socket." Screams, more screams, but you're hard-pressed to feel badly. Except for yourself, that is, because you rented a movie that wasn't bad enough to be great. It was just bad.

Our tailgate crew, huge party. I had to get some air mid 4th Q. I took a shovel from our host's unlocked shed and thought about digging a hole in his backyard and then throwing dirt over myself because the thought of suffocation was more palatable. I'll show ya panic, I won't blink. Rrrrrrr!, and I can't stand Gannon on top of it. Anyway, he started crying and kvetching like a crappy ass baby during the SB, haha, ya lost. Anyway, I bought stock in Mylanta the day after that Jets loss. I also own stock in Brioschi.

P.S.: I really did like Chad. Still do. He was just cursed by some ancient, elrich God of Death. I do have to throw a little blame on him for taking that header against Buffalo. "What the F about SLIDE EVADES YOU?!" I'm done, I'm getting blotchy.

ConcordeChops likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I seriously can not follow a single post you make.

7. jetophile

Try harder. : )

joe likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]

The Terrel Davis 31 yard TD run deflated me, it gave me that oh no feeling.

9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The Broncos were incredible that year. They probably could've gone 16-0 if they really wanted it but got lazy/sloppy against the Giants and Miami late in the season. They had no weaknesses. Elway was in his final season but still a great QB. When he got dinged up Brister came in and promptly went 4-0. The offense line was beastly. Terrell Davis went for 2,000 yards.

Rod Smith was one of the most underrated receivers in NFL history, Ed McCaffrey was a terrific #2 with great hands, great wingspan. Sharpe a pain in the ass on and off the field. They had a good secondary. A very good, sometimes great defensive line that did generate a lot of sacks (mostly by committee)

And yet we had them on the ropes. Byers who never fumbled did just that. Hall missed a FG early (winds were atrocious) and Martin had a very poor day. I know Denvers line was good and Martin is an all time great but, we really could've used an all time great performance here and he did not deliver. I will always remember him coming up small in Denver.

10. jetophile

The Jets were up against tremendous odds, but to me, it was more like we gifted Denver the game. Keith Byars, don't even mention that guy. It was an incredibly sloppy game on both sides, there was - dare I say - hope - but no! 6 costly turnovers. 2 INTS, 4 fumbles. I could feel the chunks rising. Food tasted like sawdust for three days afterwards, but I had chest pains for weeks, alright. Fat Parcells, who gave me nothing, but was somehow thoughtful enough to give me Dave Meggett. How's Alcatraz, buddy?

Bubby Brister, slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch. What a great Jet! Thanks for the shovel pass to morbidly obese Sam Mills who ran 2 miles an hour - and nobody could catch him and tackle his fat ass. I'm giving myself a migraine brain bleed combo. It's building.

BrowningNagle, joe and ConcordeChops like this.
  11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

These threads always sound like 'Nam vets recalling the horrors.

LogeSection2RowJ and slimjasi like this.
  12. forevercursed

Back then it was very difficult to make kicks in Pittsburgh. I was as pissed off as everyone else after witnessing what happened but those were not chip shots. I just wish we could've gotten a little bit closer.

Even after those two missed kicks, the Jets got the ball to start off overtime. We had a 3rd and long in our territory but picked up the first. We were up around our own 45 or so. Martin had a nice little 5 yard carry...then the most phantom bs holding penalty on Becht pushed us back to 1st and 20 and we never recovered. I remember CBS replaying it and the Steeler guy was holding Becht!

13. forevercursed

And don't forget dumpster fire Bubby (and Kotite) rallied the Eagles from 21-0 when he came off the bench for Cunningham in 1993. Unbelievable what others are capable of when they play the Jets, but turn into pumpkins when they're on the Jets.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Someone please post Matts address so my kids can egg his house! This loss blew on so many levels!!!!! I watched this game at a bar in downtown Manhattan with everyone from our tailgate----> there were a lot of us ! As a season ticket holder I had won the lottery and was guaranteed 2 Super Bowl tix . My buddy Mike won the lottery also and won 2 as well----my wife was down in Miami on business and I had a place to stay for nothing nada no cash ! Plan was for me and buddy Mike to go down and use the better of the seats and sell the other 2 and make a killing!!!! Ps I grew up a Kiss fan and they were doing the halftime show-----> all the stars were aligned so I thought at halftime we were starting to lose our minds , then TD turned into TD and Elway was hitting a wide open Mcaffrey and it was just ohhh so bad . This loss destroyed me,,,,,ps it was right up there with the Browns and the Mud Bowl but worse on so many levels. I remember oh so many terrible playoff implicated losses - the game that got Pete Carroll fired in Houston ,The Bills intercepting Todd in the endzone ,so many but
    honorable mention goes to the Xmas Eve game as the butt fumble was I believe Thanksgiving but the Christmas Eve game was just Brutal , thanks again for posting Matt, your address please ?

15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Probably one of Woody's henchmen.

16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

1313 Mockingbird Lane....CBG, I still haven't gotten over this loss, Victor Green turned this game letting McC get behind him for that 47 yard catch, Vinny was on time all game and Curtis had 14 yards and a fumble, Keith Byars fumble....Dave Meggett cost us this game, he let a KO bounce and ended up a 50 yard onside kick and the moron let every punt bounce 20 yards....Bellicheck had Elway 0-11 in 1st half

CBG likes this.
  17. jetophile

Haha. My friends and I were DYING when this happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He was eventually arrested and now wears a Broncos jersey. I feel so conflicted.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

What the hell happened on that botched kickoff return?!?!? Looked like a high school team mistake

also, Alex Van Dyke had like 2 catches all season and then they try* to throw it to him like 7 times in that game. Only catches one of them and then he fumbles of course

#38 BrowningNagle, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  19. jetophile

Shut thy filthy mouth. The Jets, why they do me like that? I know every team has their heartbreak, but the Jets just have this way of losing in the most breakdown shit ways possible. I swear, you can't make it up. You can try, but you won't get very far. I guess what I'm trying to say is that am the Queen of Palookaville.

Who remembers Garrison Hearst breaking for 96 yrds TD Jets vs the 49rs in OT? AGITA. I was sick. James Farrior was hurt, and then Potsie went on to the Steelers and had a better than decent career - and a SB ring. Nothing to do with the thread, but sometimes I'm into gastric bleeding as a side career. As you were.

#39 jetophile, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  20. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I was devastated that my favorite all time Jet Curtis Martin who rarely fumbled, coughed one up at a critical juncture in the 98 championship game against Denver. It still hurts.

RPOZ51 likes this.