Darnold Will Blow Up The Tank Job

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Jul 5, 2017.

1. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Great post!
    If we played football as 7 on 7's, a line wouldn't be an issue. A QB will never be more than average or less without an above average line.
    It's so easy to see it isn't funny.
    Pick all the first round QB's of the future you want, none will ever win games without the good to great lines. We have crap for a line.
    McClown will be the starter, because he can play the position better than our crappy QB's behind our line.
    Hack, if he gets a shot, will fall flat on his face just like Petty did.
    So will next drafts QB of the future, until it is fixed. Agree?

boozer32 likes this.
  2. tbruner12

So if we went wild in next season's free agency period and stacked the skill positions, Hack or Petty will have us in the playoffs? Especially considering the college years and draft positions they held above Prescott?
    Wow

3. tbruner12

No way, Fitz put up historical passing stats, and so did Marshall and Decker. Our line sucked all year, and we didn't make the playoffs.
    Our offense didn't have any balance, and we couldn't run the ball. I wonder why? Skill positions are the icing on the cake, not the cake. Throwing every down only works in Madden, or if you have a HOF QB on the roster.
    How many times will we have to burn 1st 2nd round picks in search of that QB?
    Brady developed behind balance offensive play, now he can throw when he wants. By the way this is year 17 of his HOF career. How did he play so long behind average lines? He didn't.... He has always had protection, even when his lines were average.
    What came first, the chicken or the egg?
    It isn't that way in football. Lines allow QB's to develope, not skill players which are a better group than the online. Brady has had years of average skill people, but very seldom plumes by design. Injuries or age may have hurt his line, but Belicheck knows how important a Line is. I see it too.

4. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

You know what, I started to type a post about how awful you sound in every single post...but f it.

Basically you just said that Tom Brady isn't great, it's the OL that has caused all of the Pats success. Seriously, many children with mental handicaps and no interest in sports wouldn't insinuate that.

But everything you say is sarcasm after you get called out, right? So it's all good.

FJF likes this.
  5. tbruner12

I didn't say anything like that, but you take it however you must. Anyone with any football sense at all knows that QB's lay on their back without a line.
    How awful I sound? Wtf? Go read my post from the other day, if you can't see sarcasm in the initial post, that's on you.
    Go read some of my earlier posts, it will show that I put Brady in a HOF class. Without a line his numbers wouldn't be any where close to what they have become over his long career. Does long career for a QB mean anything to you? You do realize that the way QB's are treated today compared to the 60's-90's rules, that Brady wouldn't have survived so long? Even with the rule changes, without a good to great line from year to year, Brady wouldn't have won 5 SB's?
    How awful does all that sound? Bring it on.
    If you are of the group that believes that QB's don't need O-lines, don't bother replying. I will already know the level of awfulness that you fantisize of pertaining to QB play, and football in general. It's all good.

6. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

It's a team sport, so obviously every unit matters. But by far the single most important player on the field is the QB, and in a league with short careers and salary caps there is a lot of parity so having a star at QB or not is the biggest difference between winning and losing year in year out when you take the entirety of cases. Obviously there are exceptions, sometimes teams get ridiculously stacked without a QB and win like the '01 Ravens, and sometimes good teams with marginal QBs show up on a given Sunday and pull out wins, but the overall trend is clear and overwhelming.

It starts with drafting a great QB whether it's the #1 pick or you find a hidden gem that people overlooked and undervalued later in the draft. Chances are much better with the #1 pick, it can and does happen later but that's catching lightning in a bottle you can't really predict it. Know what comes next? You don't fuck him up, that's what. Give him an OL that keeps him healthy, give him some weapons to hone his skill and boost his confidence. If you picked the right guy and you do it right and you get a little lucky that's how it's done.

The Jets are idiots because they know a top pick QB is coming and they're fielding like the worst OL in history so if they don't make big splashes in Free Agency next offseason there's a decent chance they're going to get their franchise player killed or kill his confidence, but that doesn't mean you don't take the QB. It just means the Jets suck and they're not handling it the way it should be handled, but in a league of parity even idiots sometimes get fortunate circumstances and prosper. But that can't happen if you don't take the QB and go with a long snapper at #1 like you want them to.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That's not at all what I'm saying, I agree that a good oline is important, but the bottom line is this, you need a balanced team, good oline, skilled position players and a good QB.

If you lack in any of these areas your team will always be average or below and then compound that with a bad HC, it's a recipe for disaster.

Honestly it's been one recipe that the Jets have been cooking with for a while.

Frankly, I don't like how Mac has handled the building of the oline, though I'm not sure if there was any other way to do it, I'm looking forward to seeing how the college football year turns out and seeing who the olinemen are, as well as QBs.

#107 Red Menace, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    tbruner12 likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Brady has had the complete package, he has a HOF HC, he has played with Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Edelman, Gronk and he has had the benefit of playing with a defense that has been able to stop the likes of Manning and Rothlesberger.

It's not just the oline, it's everything.

#108 Red Menace, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  9. Red Menace

Weren't the Cowboys set at QB though?

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Way too early either ways. The thought of landing a top QB prospect is nice, but that already assumes Hack and Petty are not the answer. I think it's best we wait till we see the product on the field, or lack thereof, and then worry about whether Darnold or Rosen come out.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Stop using facts

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not really because Romo got injured and they had to play the 4th round rookie. The Jets thought they were set at QB too with Fitzpatrick. But they also drafted a rookie QB and he never saw the field last year.

tbruner12 likes this.
  13. boozer32

Forget about Flozell "The Hotel" Adams. Yeah, that guy was massive.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. boozer32

Agree! Now somebody should wake up Macc and tell him. Next years draft with possibly 6 QB staring at the Jets he'll probably take back to back tackles and we will still be talking about when will Hackenberg play.

15. tbruner12

74 Mangold, Wrong. You realize New England and San Francisco picked the two greatest QB's maybe of all time outside of the first round?
    Both of them were drafted as starters for the future, back ups, who made the starting lineups with teams already built? Montana and Brady started without the major grooming periods that you QB whisperers believe get the team to the promise land. Both won superbowls on teams in totally different era's within 3 years of being drafted. Neither were projected as starters their first year.
    I guess drafting in the 1st round to find that "guy" is stupid.
    The QB has a difficult position but wins more superbowls being drafted into a team, rather than being drafted first and being built around. Marino never won a big game because of balance. Elway didn't until he was old and on a balanced team. Broadway Joe didn't win the big one until the offense became balanced. What causes balance? A QB? Not hardly.
    A line has to be good to great to cause balance.
    You answered it yourself talking about the JETS needing a line. We will draft forever looking for a QB without a line. Even when u have a line there is no guarantee that the guy you draft in round 1 is the man, A.K.A. Mark Nacho Sanchez.
    You will eventually figure it out.

16. Red Menace

Apart from him being injured, wasn't Romo their starter on a year in and year out basis?

101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

cowboys were set at qb when they set out to build the o line.

101GangGreen101 and boozer32 like this.
  18. boozer32

True but Jerry didn't get rid of everyone and start a rebuild. He worked around what he had built up his weaknesses. More importantly, he didn't draft high round talent exclusively on one side of the ball. The Jets have taken defense first round for a decade. I would have been onboard better if Macc would have taken this approach this year. But he tore it all down cut veterans and still took defense in the first 2 rounds. It's not a competitive team right now. There are competitive elements but overall it's a team designed to have a rough season this year.

19. boozer32

Like a previous poster stated they had some talent along the offensive line but still upgraded the Oline.

tbruner12 likes this.
  20. tbruner12

Really? Romo equals being set at the QB position? Choke artist, who benefited from skill and line players? More than likely. A rookie 4th rounder, did what Romo did.

boozer32 likes this.