Darnold Will Blow Up The Tank Job

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Jul 5, 2017.

1. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

We don't know exactly what the landscape is going to look like in 6 months but from what I've seen if there is going to be a runaway #1 prospect that everybody is talking about, it's probably going to be Darnold. If Darnold does big things and the Jets manage to tank successfully I think it would be incumbent on Woody to start dancing to the right tune to give Darnold enough notice to make his decision to declare. That means a prompt firing of Bowles and Mac as soon as the season is over, maybe even reaching out directly to try to convince him that he has every intention of righting the direction of the franchise by surrounding the team with the right people.

If Rosen or Allen or somebody else that's a junior becomes the runaway #1 prospect instead, I think the same holds true and Woodpecker needs to make some moves to demonstrate good faith so that coveted prospect doesn't decide to wait a year to not have to be a Jet. It has happened before and it could happen again, let's not kid ourselves.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

At least we know he is smart enough to play chess,,hehehe

3. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I think its a total flip of a coin as to whether or not this kid declares. He's still got two more years of eligibility after this year so there is no rush.

4. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Andrew Luck

Peyton Manning

5. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

If Hackenberg or Petty doesn't perform well enough to win the job going forward, with the way the QB class looks on paper next year, Mac and Bowles will draft a QB. At this point their job is on the line unless Woody is completely on board with possibly being really bad for a few years while we develop talent.

QB is the highest priority. And the next two drafts give Mac and Bowles the highest, and possibly only chance to find a FQB for the Jets through the draft. 2019 draft is a stretch and 2020 draft isn't possible unless we've become a winning team IMO. This is their timetable IMO.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It's not even self sabotage, it's fiscally sound maneuvering. I mean, all mac has done is cut the aging vets from a 5-11 team. Most of which,contributed more to the 11 than the 5. I don't understand why people think it is more than just that.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

U do not put all your eggs in one basket... I said Fuk Mannings (both) when they pulled this shit and I'll say fuk Darnold too.. IMO, We can miss out on him and still grab a QB ..fuk it. I hate draft posturing.

Brook! and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Not the first time over draft position nor will be the last.

Royal Tee likes this.
  9. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Man, fuk Peyton Manning? That's just bizarre to me. He's one of the greats of all time and unlike Brady he seems like a genuinely good guy for whatever that matters. This team could easily have a recent VLT if he came to the Jets, if not there would've been a lot of thrills at least. How can you hold it against him when it was obviously the fault of the Jets organization if that's what swayed his decision to stay in school?

If there's another Peyton Manning in this draft class it's on Woody Johnson to show that he has learned from past mistakes so that he doesn't appear so radioactive that a super prospect repeats history for the Jets. This opportunity is coming from being fuking awful not any real accomplishment, it's not asking for too much to handle good fortune resulting from massive bumbling incompetence with a little bit of composure. It's not like they'd be passing up on the Jets to go to the Patriots or Steelers, they're just going to the next shttiest franchise around.

It took immense work and talent for Peyton Manning to become who he is, all Woody Johnson had to do was be born. Put the blame where it belongs, and hope for some progress if another opportunity presents. Hopefully that isn't too much to ask of some super rich idiot.

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

With this roster, we'll probably get the #1 pick the following season too.

You can't avoid the Jets, Darnold. Mwhahaha.

HomeoftheJets, nicg4360 and Peebag like this.
  11. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I've been watching tape of Josh Allen. So if Darnold isn't there.... I am not worried.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Matt Leinart.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I'll be continuing to watch him play for sure, but he needs to start seeing the field better. I am a fan as well.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Its what a good football organization does, the problem is, Jets have not had the discipline as an organization to do it, Woody gives in to the fans clamoring for heads to roll instead of staying disciplined with the draft and the development of younger players.

He was almost there with Mike T and The Silent one, unfortunately Mangini gave him no choice and forced Woody to fire him with his antics. You don't give the owner the silent treatment.

Hopefully we see some dividends with these young kids this year, and stay true to the process of building through the draft, select BPA, and continue to develope the younger players.

If this kid does not want to play for the jets so be it, select BPA and go about your business as an organization, it's way too early to put anyone on such a pedestal.

NCJetsfan, FJF, Jetaho and 2 others like this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think people are reading way to into the article. Even before the draft when Darnold started to create a buzz, people close to him made the same statement except now they are adding in that if he is projected to go first he will likely come out.
    Darnold himself hasn't said anything about his plans.
    This has nothing to do with the Jets, as 74Mangold said, he can stay in school and if he plays well ,he is still going to end up drafted by a team with a shit roster. There's a reason teams are drafting #1.

Sam Hammer and Red Menace like this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Things could still work out.....Jets could 'suck for sam', win 5 games, pick 7th, and Sam has a bad year and is still sitting there on draft day. Then what?

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If he's BPA then you select him knowing he will start, hopefully not another red shirt project. If their not convinced he's BPA, or if there is a franchise LT or OLB that can get to the QB then go with those selections.

18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Sadly, with all of our cap room, with Mac's job on the line, and with the outcry that will come from a 3-5 win season (I'm talking about you billboard crowd), I think the chances of us continuing to embrace this youth movement and avoid the temptation to go out and sign high priced veteran names is pretty slim next offseason. I'll believe it when I see it with this shit for brains franchise.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Exactly. The OP reads like a friggin Cimini article. No logic at all, just dramatic assumptions made about something that may or may not even happen. It is completely assumed because it's the worst case scenario, just because it's the Jets. It's far more likely the Jets will screw up the tanking themselves by winning 3 of the last 4 games, after winning 1 all year prior to that.

#39 Sam Hammer, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    TonyFtLaud and Red Menace like this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like Darold footwork. Reminds me of Rodgers.