Heroin has infiltrated the Hasidic community

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by mute, Jul 5, 2017.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

A 20-year-old Hasidic woman died of a heroin overdose in Brooklyn last month — showing how even an ultra-insular religious community isn’t immune to the nation’s opioid epidemic.

Malky Klein’s mother discovered her daughter slumped over in bed and frothing at the mouth around 7:15 p.m. June 24 in their Borough Park home, according to police.

The Jewish volunteer ambulance service Hatzolah was called and medics tried to revive the young woman before taking her to Maimonides Hospital.

But by 8:22 p.m., doctors at Maimonides had pronounced her dead.

Malky’s overdose death is not an isolated incident, according to community members.

“We’re definitely losing more people to drugs — there’s no question,” said Yaakov Behrman, who runs the Crown Heights drug prevention group Operation Survival. “It’s getting worse in the United States, it’s getting worse in the world, and it’s affecting our community.”

Zvi Gluck, who works with suicidal and drug-addicted Jewish youth at his Manhattan-based group Amudim, has personally counted 60 opioid-related deaths among the metro area’s Orthodox Jews since the start of the year. Twenty of those were Hasidic.

Layala Rauch, 24, a close friend of Malky’s, said feelings of isolation are driving heroin use among Hasids. Rauch, who was raised Hasidic but strayed from the sect, said that from a young age, Klein embraced a more mainstream identity that alienated her from her ultra-religious community, getting her kicked out of a conservative religious school in Kensington and landing her at a school for troubled kids in Midwood, where she and others turned to drugs.

“This happens to many girls,” said Rauch.

Gluck and Behrman argue there is no straight line from Hasidism to addiction.

“It pains me when people make it a Hasidic issue,” Gluck said. “With suicide, it has certainly been among Hasidim that have left the fold. On the addiction side, though, it’s an equal-opportunity offender.”

Behrman blamed a rise in drugs on city streets for the rise in Orthodox and Hasidic overdoses.

“In many cases, the families are committed to getting help for their family members. They’ve tried, they’ve gone to professional help, attempted to put their child through rehabilitation. But if the kid is addicted and experimenting, there is very little the family can do,” he said.

Gluck and Rauch both know Klein’s family and agreed the parents did all they could.

The family kept anti-overdose drugs on hand, and Klein’s father was the first to administer one during her fateful overdose, according to a Hatzolah first responder.

The parents paid for two years of rehab in California — from which Klein had recently returned, Rauch said, adding:

“The father and mother stopped at nothing.”

Klein’s parents did not return requests for comment.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/04/heroin-has-infiltrated-the-hasidic-community/amp/

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Royal Tee, joe, TommyJ and 1 other person like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

lol, I remember my father asking if I was experimenting with drugs. I thought, god no, I am well past the experimental phase.

Royal Tee, HAYN and The Waterboy like this.
  4. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

my drug problem wasn't a problem at all until i ran out of money

Royal Tee, Dierking and The Waterboy like this.
  5. The Waterboy

Different but similar, I used to mess with my dad whenever he wanted to have a serious talk. When I was a young teen he calls me in and says "I think it's time we had a talk about sex", so I asked him what he needed to know.

I had to run out of the room fast after that one, I was lucky he had a good sense of humor or he probably would have beaten me to death a few times growing up.

mute likes this.
  6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I've gotta be the only one left in this country who never tried, not even pot. Kinda never worked out and now it's a little too late to start.

I'd try LSD though, would be interesting to look inside own mind. Too bad the silo king was busted

7. The Waterboy

I feel sorry for people who don't do drugs. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

8. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Im just going to throw this out there, LSD should never be the first psychedelic drug anyone takes. If you want that type of experience, look at shrooms, much more mellow no chemical burn, no day after hangover

9. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

A friend's son OD'd on heroin last weekend. The kid was 25.

I have a pretty libertarian view on drug use, but heroin and meth can go fuck themselves.

highflyer likes this.
  10. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I dont do any. My dad was a drunk who decided to one day try weed. When both weren't enough anymore he moved onto harder drugs which later gave him some serious health issues. I don't want to start doing anything because I might end up like him.

Jets_Grinch, joe and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. The Waterboy

I joke about drugs but i have lost numerous friends to H. I definitely feel the same as you when it comes too certain drugs.

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I've been binge watching Shameless on Netflix...That show is fucking crazy and basically is a good example of what happens after your bring drugs and alcohol abuse into your life

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Never too late to smoke a jay.

On topic, I've lost friends from pretty much every type of drug. In which I don't consider marijuana a drug. That synthetic lab made shit will get you killed.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My favorite TV commercial was the Egg as your brain and then "this is your brain on drugs" (egg cracked and cooking on frying pan)

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

And that's the kicker, if you grew up in the just say no,Nancy Reagan on different strokes era you have been exposed to more anti drug psa's than anyone on earth. And yet this shit isn't slowing down. There was a point in my life when I didn't know one person who wasn't doing something. And it's not like I was insulated in a small group either. I had a pretty good sample of all people's in the city I was living in and swear everyone was at least smoking. This was the late 90s early 2000s. X was killing nite clubs that were used to making their money at the bar but everyone was rolling and just wanted bottled water. All those late 20s early 30s professionals knew it was cheaper to by a $20 pill and a couple of 2$ waters, all grew up being taught just say no.Club owners were practically inviting the dea to sweep their clubs because the booze wasn't moving.

Yisman likes this.
  16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

good man, mute.
    :thumbs up:

18. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

coke is still the best proven weight loss system out there. not because it suppresses your appetite, its the running back and forth to the hock shop where the real weight is lost

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

when your day is done and you want to ride on

20. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Trust me, you're not.

I've never even smoked a cigarette and there are many like me.