Lets kick some more tires - DGB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jul 5, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Former Eagles wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham cleared waivers, Adam Schefter of ESPN
    reports citing a source. He is now an unrestricted free agent.

Beckham the Titans second round pick(40th overall) in the 2015 NFL Draft. He was traded to the Eagles last August.

IMO we should bring him in. we are thin at WR already with the injuries. If he doesn't make the team so be it, but he has upside, he's young, and worst case he's camp fodder. best case he makes the team as some extra depth at the position. He's got the size and speed at 6'5 and 4.5 40 and talented enough to go in the 2nd round (i actually wanted him when we drafted devin smith instead)

Not only that but crazy as it is even at 24 with only 2 years in the league he would be our 2nd most experienced WR behind enunwa. he would also be 2nd for most career yards and catches and 1st in TDs. If we could take a flyer on the oft injured wilson, i see no reason to not bring him in.

EDIT:
    just to address some concerns i'll list pros and cons

Pros
    age (24)
    experience (top 3 on our team in games played, yards, catches, and TDS)
    Size (6'5" great red zone target and range for our young QBs)
    Speed
    cheap
    low risk/high reward
    We have a need at the WR position
    high upside
    no injury concerns

Cons
    will be his 3rd team in 3 years (possible headache in the locker room)
    questionable work ethic
    Didn't have a great season last year
    talent hasn't turned into production

#1 GasedAndConfused, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Sometimes you can tell a tire is no good just by looking at it.

Royal Tee, Brook!, Jets69 and 2 others like this.
  3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Injuries? Who is injured at receiver that we care about besides Stewart?

We still have Enunwa, Peake, Anderson, Hansen. Stewart will be there before long. Marshall will be back by Week 5.

Plus, if the receiver hungry Eagles (super-hungry) don't want him, why do we?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

No thanks. He has the allpro body but not the allpro skills. It's obvious. If he was worth anything he wouldn't be looking for his third team in 3 years.

FJF likes this.
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

How is he in terms of his [head]? Is he a headcase? If he is a good locker room presence, then I don't see any problem bringing him in. Jets WR coach - Karl Dorrell, that is - did a very good job with the young kids, and maybe that's just what DGB needs; solid locker room with good position coach. Who knows? He might become Plaxico Burress without the mental baggages.

6. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

We don't need another "camp fodder" player. Try and find a good kick/punt returner that can break off some yards. Or some more backup OL players. Other then that, what we need is a strong edge rusher.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

But this one would be an exception. A physical 6' 5" target is a very desirable commodity for any young QB; especially in the red zone.

8. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

DBG supposedly has maturity issues, but it's worth taking a flier on him. Kids can grow mentally, but rarely can they grow to be 6'5" with his speed. Still, I don't see him signing here so much as with a more established team (with less of a need) where he won't be in the spotlight, like NE, Pitt, or even NYG.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

9. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Really? Why don't we just bring back Stephen Hill, instead?

10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I would rather give TO a shot. No, seriously.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Green Beckham is such a waste. He could've been a great one if he wasn't such a dumbass. At this point everywhere he has gone they got sick of him. Missouri for 2 years, Oklahoma 1 year, Titans 1 year, Eagles 1 year and then they get rid of him. There is a reason.

He's gonna end up out of the league and its going to be his own damn fault. Don't bring him in.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I agree that the likely outcome is he is out of the league in a year. The Jets though have nothing to lose by giving him his final opportunity. Maybe the light finally goes on for him like the reports are about ASJ. If not no harm no foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

He's only 24 and the Jets seem to have gotten a good outcome with ASJ so if they bring this guy in I assume they think he has changed his ways and wants to revive his career.

14. GasedAndConfused

We brought in goodwin, obviously we are kicking tires already.

So we have 4 healthy receivers for all of camp and preseason? regardless teams need more depth. Like i said even if he doens't make the team, we need more bodies for camp and preseason at minimum.

Depends how you look at it. 36 catches 549 yards and 4TDs 17.6avg is a pretty good rookie season. espicially with rookie QB throwing the ball. he was 2nd on the team in yards and TDs behind walker and 3rd in receptions. walker was targeted more then twice as much. As far as why tenn traded him? well according to his own coach he put in extra work but not enough extra work to make him happy. Philly gladly gave up a player for him. Now philly signed a couple of vets at WR. jeffrey, torrey smith to pair with their 2 young high draft picks in matthews and agholar all of a sudden their team is a bit crowded at WR. Maybe he asked for his release knowing that snaps will be hard to come by for him barring injuries.
    Still low risk high reward. worth trying.

He's a good kid never any issues with him since being drafted

this^ we don't have a massive TE and anderson is too skinny to make use of his height. DGB could pair with enunwa in the brandon marshall fade role.
    Not a chance. some team will sign him. CBS made an article on the top 15 landing spots for him. jets were at 3. rams at 1. the bills and fins were in the top 5 as well IIRC

15. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Its one thing to take a chance on a young player with established production who has been beset by injuries (I.e. Marques Wilson). Its quite another thing to take a chance on someone who couldn't make it with WR needy teams like TEN and PHI. Given his history I'm thinking DGBs problems are between the ears and their aint no fixing that.

FJF likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

he was their best WR in tenn and they traded him for some much needed o-line help becuase the coach wasn't happy with him. in Philly he was expendable becuase they signed jeffrey and torrey smith plus have matthews and agholar. matthews was their best WR last year (save for TE ertz) DGB was the eagles 2nd best WR. that's why they added in jeffrey and they won't give up on agholar since he is their 1st round pick from a couple of years ago. So it's either keep DGB as an overpaid 5th WR or release him. and the eagles are strapped for money. I don't see how adding a WR who would have the 2nd most yards and catches career wise on your team for a vet minimum who is 24 years old is a bad idea.

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a whole lot of making the story fit your line of thinking. Saying he would be the #5 receiver when he had more receiving yards than both Smith and Agholor is a stretch, saying he would be an overpaid #5 when his cap hit would be less than Agholor and much less than Smith is another stretch.

If it was truly about keeping the best receivers he likely would have made it to TC, I doubt they saw enough in OTAs to make that call already. It sounds more to me likely he wasn't buying into their program, maybe came in out of shape, or something similar.

And saying he would come in with more career yards than all but one WR ignores that he only put up 390 yards last season. Anderson put up more than that as a rookie.

I rather the young WRs already on the team get the reps and not chance a player that could possibly bring in a bad attitude into a rebuilding clubhouse.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's the thing with him. I think he's a head case. With all the talent he has, and being a 2nd round pick, if he didn't make the standard four-year contract with the team that drafted him, and is now looking for his 3rd team in 3 years, you know that he either is too stupid or lazy to learn the offense, has serious off-field/drug issues, or is a head case. It's sad. When he was just a sophomore in college (or maybe a freshman), I was blown away with his talent and wanted the Jets to draft him when he came out, but by the time he did enter the draft he was a troublemaker and labeled as a head case.

If Dorrell thinks he can straighten him out, fine, he might be worth taking a shot onb, but since they're trying to rebuild the team with smart, high character-type players, I'm not sure bringing him would be the best thing to do.

19. NCJetsfan

If the Eagles have Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith, Matthews and Agholar at WR, how are they "super hungry" at the position?

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Seriously? We have way more than 4 healthy WRs. Presently on the roster, the Jets have the following WRs.

Quincy Enunwa
    Robbie Anderson
    Charone Peake
    Chad Hansen
    ArDarius Stewart
    Jalin Marshall
    Gabe Marks
    Devin Street
    Myles White
    Marquess Wilson
    KD Cannon
    Deshon Foxx
    Frankie Hammond
    Chris Harper

I'm not opposed to the Jets giving DGB a look see if they think he's worth the effort, but one can't use the reason that we don't have enough WRs (healthy or otherwise).