2016-17 NBA THREAD

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by JetLifeLo, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They wouldn't ever do that. I'm starting to think that it's a logical thing to do though.

I could be wrong but I feel like I remember hearing/reading that something like half the league or 20 teams lose money every year?

Red Menace likes this.
  2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Of course he's staying with the dubs. Ugh.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Sixers stay healthy they'll be a top 6 seed this year. While not a threat to the Cavs this year they will be going forward. NBA needs Embiid and his transcendent talent/personality to stay healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Dolan also extended Phil for 2 years / $24M right before he fired him. He had an out....

Fucking genius coke-head that little troll is

FJF likes this.
  5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Lowry re-signed with Toronto.

Philly of course should be a contender. They're ridiculously loaded after tanking for five years.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Too many posters paying attention to what's on paper vs what's on the court. Celtics are way better than the 76ers.

7. NYJalltheway

Nobody said otherwise.

Me personally, I don't see the 76ers as being all that scary. Yeah they tanked forever, but they didn't hit on every pick, and they have health concerns, not to mention that none of those players are proven.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You just described every off season of every sport

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

People did say otherwise.

10. NYJalltheway

None of those people said they would be better than Boston...

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Short of analyzing game tape from last season I'm not sure how else to discuss the offseason.

I also didn't say the 6ers are better than the Celtics. I just see the Celtics taking a step back next year to sort of fall in line with the rest of the pack.

In other news, $30 million to Paul Milsap? This is another problem with the NBA; once it's obvious a team can't land a top tier free agent as a part of forming their own super team, they need to throw top dollars at mid level free agents and absurd money to above average (not superstar) players. Milsap is a good player, but he's also 32 and nowhere near worth $30 million.

Jrue Holiday fits the bill of overpaid at $25 million a year as well. Decent player but he's also only played 206/328 games the past four years. And they gave him a five year friggain deal. Serge Ibaka gets $21 million per for 3 years to average 14/7....

Same reason a guy who averages 5.5 point per game for his career (last year 7.1 PPG career high) and 5.5/2.4/2.1 in 20 minutes played for his career gets $13 million. Yep. Joe Ingles just got a 4 year/$52 million contract. He and Hayward are supposedly friends.

Maybe once we see Warriors vs. Cavs IV in the finals some steps will be taken to balance the league out. It's a shame. The Timberwolves have now done it the correct way; draft well (KAT, Wiggins) and add a very good player in Jimmy Butler. Yet have virtually ZERO chance to beat the Warriors.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

#791 Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    NYJalltheway likes this.
  12. NYJalltheway

Take pieces away from Golden State.. Which nobody did. So. Yep.

13. HomeoftheJets

They said Boston and Philly are close, and Philly is a contender. Boston was a number 1 seed with cohesive play and great coaching, but because they didn't do anything splashy people are knocking them.

Meanwhile Philly was one of the worst teams in the NBA. By adding Fultz and Simmons they can make the playoffs in a weak east if Embiid stays healthy which I doubt. If he doesn't they're going back to the lottery because rookies don't win in basketball.

14. HomeoftheJets

Sure. Change the soft cap to a hard one and abolish the max contract.

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

No, I said Philly is a contender. Period. Full stop.

You responded by saying Boston is better than Philly.

Uh, what? I did not even mention the Celtics. Or the Cavaliers, for that matter.

Rextasy's post said:

"Sixers stay healthy they'll be a top 6 seed this year. While not a threat to the Cavs this year they will be going forward. NBA needs Embiid and his transcendent talent/personality to stay healthy."

And I agree with everything he posted. Again, no mention of the Celtics, who are a good team.

So basically you're just trying to interpret every post you read as a knock on Boston.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  16. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

So aggravating, I really thought they were going to lose one of their key players...

Sixers over Celtics.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

there is nothing wrong with the NBA in this aspect. people WANT to see star players. Beyond anything it is a player driven league. People don't care about parity.

What's going on today isn't even that special, there has been super teams forever. I don't understand this cry for parity stuff. Its like were ignoring the league's history or something? LA and Boston and their super teams met in the finals like a zillion times. The only thing that is special/surprising about today's game is that it's these small market teams that are gobbling up all the players.

Who woulda thought teams in Cleveland and Oakland and Oklahoma City and Minnesota would even be in the conversation when it comes to marquee talents and their destinations..... because of that, there is an argument there that there is more parity in today's game. Find yourself a superstar and complementary talents will follow. Back in the day they all just left for LA, NY, Chicago, Boston. Imagine Kevin Garnett in his prime with the Timberwolves as a destination for free agents. That was unheard of. They were just counting the days until he left for one of the franchises I mentioned and what do ya know Garnett went to Boston. Today it would be much different

#797 BrowningNagle, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    JetBlue likes this.
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Exactly. I posted this before, but I'll repeat it.

In the 80's, only two different teams made the NBA Finals from the West: Lakers 8 times (8!) and the Rockets twice. In the east, only three teams made the Final: Boston, Philly and Detroit.

in an entire decade only 5 teams played for the championship, and the 80's are considered the greatest era of NBA basketball and created the popularity the game has.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  19. highflyer

highflyer Active Member

Hayward off to the Celtics and they handled it veryyy poorly letting it drag out like that after it had already been broken.

In other news my Kings signed George Hill and ZBo. Not unhappy at all about those signings, we're still one of the worst teams in the West this year with another year of playing time into the youngsters like Skal and Buddy. Hopefully some success comes our way at some point, well overdue and I'm fucking sick of the Warriors already.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  20. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

Goodbye Kelly Olynyk!

Red Menace likes this.