Will this offense be worse than Sparanos?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jun 28, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I'd probably venture to say we have better skill players on this team with Powell, Enunwa, and Anderson. In fact any warm body could produce more than Shonn Greene, Chaz Schillens, David Nelson, Stephen Hill, and the hot dog shit we had at the skill positions that year.

My question-Will this years model be more unwatchable? Keep in mind that our offensive line that year had Wayne Hunter manning Right Tackle and Mark Sanchez at QB.

I'll probably venture to say that this unit will be worse as I get the feeling that Petty and Hackeberg are going to make Mark Sanchez look like Peyton Manning based on what I saw from Bryce in his brief action.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

o_O There is no way that the offense should be worse this year than that offense. :rolleyes: Sparano is a clueless tool and there was no talent on that offense. Morton is a quality coach and there is some talent here. Saying that Petty and Hack are going to make Sanchez look like Peyton Manning is just flat out ignorant.

You're probably gonna get blasted in this thread just as you have in the other threads you've started. My advice to you is to refrain from creating threads for awhile until your eyesight and/or mental processes improve. :eek:

K'OB likes this.
  3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Gonna be hard to compare. We currently have a crap ton of young, developing players. It'll be hard to judge our offense as such.

boozer32 likes this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jethro.

Your ability to venture into delusion under nearly god damned EVERY situation never ceases to amaze me.

P.S. It will all depend on how good Morton is - as in, would he preach details like Bill Walsh did? Because - face it. Bill Walsh preached on flawless execution over anything, and sloppy execution always results in botched plays, making the entire fucking offense unwatchable.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you're right about the offense, we might have a very hard time tanking for a top pick.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Well, to begin with, I don't think we're tanking. I just think that due to lack of talent and depth and the liabilities we have in our HC and DC, we don't have the horses to win most games. I think individual players on both the offense and defense will show great flashes of promise, and both units will play well at times, but less so at others, and both will be undermined by that inconsistency, youthful inexperience/rookie mistakes and lack of overall talent and depth.

westiedog1, hwismer, LAJet and 3 others like this.
  7. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I've seen Petty play in the NFL, and it wasn't pretty. Looked like a kid who didn't know what he was doing out there.

I've seen Hackenberg play in the Big Ten, and it wasn't pretty. Looked like a kid who didn't know what he was doing out there.

I seriously believe that these two will be infamous amongst Jets historians as the worst QBs ever to put on the green and white. My hope is that they are the bottom, and after this year we are finally handed a franchise QB.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]

that bar is set pretty low

9. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Okay, gotcha. You hope they're both the worst ever, then we're gonna be "handed" a franchise QB. Cool story Brohammer...

and Sanchez will look like Peyton Manning ahahahahahahahahah

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I don't think we'll be worse than the Sparano year, if only for the fact that Sparano isn't here.

JethroTull likes this.
  11. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Who are these first round FQB's I keep reading about? Who are the current FQB's?

Ralebird likes this.
  12. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

My prediction is the offense will not start out that great. It is to be expected in a situation like this. However I do expect the offense to improve, but the question will be how much? The offensive line in the long run will probably determine the offense's success. All this can go by the waste side with injuries which can't be predicted.

I may sound like Captain Obvious, but how the defense and special teams play also affects the offense. If the defense gives up a lot of points for example, this makes the offense pretty predictable for the opposing defense.

What I would like to see from this offense this year is a reduction in turnovers. The Jets were dead last in the turn over ratio at -20 with the Bears last year. They were 2nd in giving the ball away at 34 with the Chargers having that honor at 35. However the Chargers took the ball away twice as much as the Jets.

Think about it, they averaged more than two turnovers per game! If the Jets are a turnover machine in 2017, then the coaching and lack of discipline needs to be considered. Again, sorry if I sound like Captain Obvious, but stop giving the ball away!

nicg4360 likes this.
  13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I agree the offensive line will determine the success of the offense overall. Fell confident off. coordinator will be much better but the lack of experienced WR's and the line scare the hell out of me. And that's before I think about the QB situation. This year will be about finding young players, not just rookies, but those 2nd and 3rd year players who need to take the next step or we move on. And for me, once and for all, we need to see our Head coach manage a football game and have this team prepared and full of energy each week.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The offensive coordinator is a rookie.
    The offensive line is terrible.
    The quarterbacks are probably terrible.
    The wide receivers went from promising but 3, 4th, and 5th options for defenses to target to tops on the depth chart....

yeah I'd say there's a good chance this offense is worse than sparanos in 2012. Probably going to lose a lot of 17-7 games

JohnnyJet and Peebag like this.
  15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Hey, man, I'd take three Brooks Bollingers over a Tim Tebow any day of the week.

16. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Nailed it. Me thinks that all 3 qbs will play due to injury.

17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'll take the over on 3 QBs starting for the Jets this season.

18. The personnel/talent level is likely better overall. However...QB is a major factor as is the fact that Morton's offense will be alot more sophisticated than Sparano's which was more about keeping things simple & emphasizing execution

I'd expect things to be decent early on as players will buy in to the new system as well as the fact that opposing defenses will have very limited insight into tendencies. That said there will be some very serious growing pains once the honeymoon period ends. This is a very young team & WCO almost always has serious growing pains in year 1.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not a bad bet!
    McClown "gives us the best chance to win" for a little while [sept/october], Hackenberg comes in, does terrible [october, november], Petty gets a shot and gets injured [november].. Jets pick up Cardale Jones off of someone's practice squad and him and Hackenberg share the rest of the season depending on injuries/strife [december]

april they select Sam Darnold

JohnnyJet and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  20. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

2012 was a rough year watching the Jets try and move the ball offensively. From what I remember, a lot of 3 and outs, 4 yard completions when we needed 6 for a first down, "ground and pound" that did neither and some ineffective Tebow wild cat thrown in for good measure.