What does Hack need to do to be the incumbent going in to 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jun 27, 2017.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

To all the people who will be proclaiming Hack is a bust if he doesn't meet 60%+ completions stats and the 2/1 TD/Int ratio

Here is a list of the top 10 rookie QB's of all time according to this site anyways...

https://www.si.com/nfl/photo/2016/10/11/best-rookie-quarterback-seasons-nfl-history

Peyton Manning
    16 GP, 56.7% comp., 3,739 yards, 26 TDs, 28 INTs, 15 carries, 62 rushing yards.

Andrew Luck
    Stats: 16 GP, 54.1% comp., 4,374 yards, 23 TDs, 18 INTs, 62 carries, 255 rushing yards, 5 TDs.

Andy Dalton
    16 GP, 58.1% comp., 3,398 yards, 20 TDs, 13 INTs, 37 carries, 152 rushing yards, 1 TD.

Jameis Winston
    16 GP, 58.3% comp., 4,042 yards, 22 TDs, 15 INTs, 54 carries, 213 rushing yards, 6 TDs.

Matt Ryan
    16 GP, 61.1% comp., 3,440 yards, 16 TDs, 11 INTs, 55 carries, 104 rushing yards, 1 TD.

Wank Marino
    11 GP, 58.4% comp., 2,210 yards, 20 TDs, 6 INTs, 28 carries, 45 rushing yards, 2 TDs.

Russell Wilson
    Stats: 16 GP, 64.1% comp., 3,118 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs, 94 carries, 489 rushing yards, 4 TDs.

Cam Newton
    16 GP, 60.0% comp., 4,051 yards, 21 TDs, 17 INTs, 126 carries, 706 rushing yards, 14 TDs.

RG3
    15 GP, 65.4% comp., 3,200 yards, 20 TDs, 5 INTs, 120 carries, 815 rushing yards, 7 TDs.

Big Ben
    Stats: 14 GP, 66.4% comp., 2,621 yards, 17 TDs, 11 INTs, 56 carries, 144 rushing yards, 1 TD.

Only 5 of which made 60+% completion TD/Ints were a lot closer than a 2/1 ration for most, if Hack got anywhere near those then we will have a good QB on our hands but given the strength around him if he was to get anywhere near those stats I would be amazed tbh, he really doesn't stand a chance with his support cast does he ?

#41 K'OB, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

What's the problem? If he's a little bit better than Marino as a rookie, I think we'll all be happy to let him start in '18.

Well, not Champ. :mad::mad::mad:

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Not sure what you mean tbh ?

I guess the problem would be if he only completed 54% of passess and certain posters started calling for him to be dumped and proclaiming him a bust, that is the angle I was looking at.

If he gets better stats than Marino then great but I did say that if he got anywhere near those stats then he would be quality.

Red Menace likes this.
  4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Talking of he who must not be named, there's been a couple of recent threads just crying out for his particular brand of trolling. Is he banned, or did double dipping at safety in the first two rounds finally push him over the edge?

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Nice job KOB, this is what I was saying in my previous post, it's not just Hack it's the team around him, with a rookie QB, it's usually the team around him that makes him look good and carries him for the first year or two of his developmental phase, the transition usually takes place around year 3 when the QB now starts to make those around him better and he can carry the team by making the big plays when he has to.

Very few QBs have come in year one and planted themselves as the guy, without some kind of incredible supporting cast around him.

The jets don't have a terrible group of guys around him, but there are not a lot of explosive playmakers on the team.

Those limitations at the skilled positions are going to reflect on any of the QBs the jets have.

Hack should be allowed to start day one if the jets are convinced that he is the guy they want to be the QB of the future.

Hopefully Mac starts drafting some offensively skilled players that can help any QB who starts for the jets.

#45 Red Menace, Jun 28, 2017
    K'OB and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  6. TwoHeadedMonster

I was just agreeing with your post in a smart-ass manner.

K'OB likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

All I ask for is that he can read a freaking defense and go thru his progressions and understand the offense ! Wins would be nice but with this cast of characters and very young and inexperienced WRs and the HC that I dont think will give him a chance it will be very difficult. If he can just play the part and run the offense and be aware of down and distance and manage the clock he will have my vote .

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Assuming the Jets are on a losing streak by mid-season, if he doesn't start at that point, it's time to move on. Also, if he looks anything like the QB that got abused by Temple, likewise, move on.

If, when he plays, he shows a good arm, smart decision-making (not perfect, but mostly positive outcomes), doesn't get rattled, and bounces back form adversity, then I'd want to give him more time to build on that. I would still want to take a QB if a FQB-level one is available to them, because there is no way he's going to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's the FQB at this point.

As I pondered this question, I kept thinking back to Elway's first year, and how many mistakes he made, BUT he showed flashes of absolute brilliance that you knew would come through and outweigh all the bad. I'm not saying Hack has Elway's ability, but based upon his freshman year, it's possible, and maybe that's why Macc took him. Since there's really nothing else to root for at this point, I'm rooting for that outcome.

tbruner12 likes this.
  9. TwoHeadedMonster

Honestly, I think all you guys are being too demanding. With the O-line the Jets are going to field, I suspect Hack, Petty, and McCown will all end up on IR by week 12 or so. The Jets will be hiring off the street and trying to bring guys out of retirement just to finish the season.

Walt White likes this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He's still around champing.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

P.S. If Hack survives this season in one piece, we will all know what kind of a tough son of a bitch he is.

11. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

The league would need to change the rules so that if QB's accidentally hit a reporter with a pass it's worth 29 points. Cheerleaders are worth 22. Opposing team's HC is worth 97.

I really see Hackenberg as our QB of the future under those circumstances, and I think this team would be competitive for Super Bowls as soon as 2018 with a very long window.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Triple that for Cheater(TM) and I have no problem with this rule.

13. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This post further solidifies why it's not realistic that Hack should be held to such statistical standards.

What this article shows me is outside of RGIII, this group is comprised of HOF'ers and upper echelon QB's. (Dalton being the only other outlier who I would still place in the top 15 QB's)
    Yet a LOT of members of this community seem to think these type of numbers (60% comp - 2/1 TD/INT ratio - 3,500+ yards passing) to be the low bar minimum for Hack to even be considered acceptable and not a failure. Even knowing the caliber of the players mentioned above, only 5 of them achieved 60%+ comp and this is the top 10. But that's the minimum for Hack???

Not to mention all of the teams those QB's were on in their 1st year were better teams that this perceived team will be. This in no way should be a pass fail number based test for Hack, but instead an overall sliding scale exam where all the factors must be weighed on a case by case basis.

#53 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jun 28, 2017
  14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He needs to shoot Petty and Josh Mcown ......Once there dead he can claim the starting job by default.If he is as awful as described Mac won't ever let him see the field because it will damage his own reputation to the point where it can't be repaired and he will get fired for sure.

15. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Or hire a LB to punch them in the face.

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pags2112 likes this.
  17. TwoHeadedMonster

18. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I agree. This kid has the tools, moxie and the work eithic. Add to that a QB that played in cold weather! It's a no brainier he's picked up the pace this offseason and the red shirt year was smart for many reasons .. those that followed Hack at Penn St get me.

What I expect from Hack as we all should is a rookie type year And the early growing pains that come with it. What he needs to show is that he can command the offense, make reads, and throw the ball to the correct location most of the time without consequences. We need to see proof that after the first 3 game jitters are done, he will improve each week by inches or miles at a time. There are few QB's that just step in and rock it. Remember that also IF we select high next draft. Hack might be our best bet .. especially if he can gain the respect of the team.

The Dark Knight and K'OB like this.
  19. Pags2112

One thing Hack has is the Alpha trait. It was evident at Penn St .. from what I've gathered he's a mature youngster unlike Paxton Lynch .. sorry Lynch fans had to use the example. It's all going to depend on camp and he knows it .. if the kid keeps improving as he did OTA'S then he will start week 1. Hack wasn't the only QB throwing passes near reporters .. media bs. The kid has a work ethic that I think teammates will find more than respectful.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. Pags2112

Exactly and the numbers become more human when you include all QB'S. Those that expect a probowl performance are unrealistic .. proof of ability and the ability to improve is what we should expect. Hack will be able to be evaluated regardless of his peers.