What does Hack need to do to be the incumbent going in to 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jun 27, 2017.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

For me, he has to show an ability to keep the ball moving on offense between the 20's. If he can get the team consistently in or close to scoring range, I think that would speak volumes for him. I don't care if it ends in a FG, or he throws some picks, or even fumbles in the red zone because finishing a drive can come later with an improvement in talent around him.

Pags2112 likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Christian's gonna sell his soul? :eek:

3. First & foremost he needs to EARN his chance to play by means of competition & his own development.From there...These are the things I'd prioritize

1. Command of the offense- Keeping the huddle focused & organized, Staying on top of play/game clock management, Playing to the situation..minimizing pre-snap/communication mishaps

2. Responding to adversity- He's gonna make mistakes..no 2 ways about it. How does he react to a rough day at the office;Both on the field & off?

3. Leadership- How does the offense respond to him in the huddle? Does he hold guys accountable in a reasonable manner?Does he put the offense on his back in games as well as w. the media?(At the QB position in this market...PR DOES matter)

4. Tangible attributes that can be used as a building block- Does his arm strength or any other aspect of his game translate to the field? Is this a QB we can build an offense around??Does he give the offense an actual identity??

5.Mechanical consistency- We all know his footwork can suffer if he lets his guard down. How do his drop backs/release points look after a handful of games when the honeymoon is over?

This would be a good start to a long long road ahead.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Why does he need to EARN his chance to play and what does that mean? He was a 2nd round draft pick and was drafted to be the Jets starting QB. The only way to tell if he is the answer at QB is to play him. And the only way to tell if the Jets need to draft a QB in the first round in 2018 is to play him. Competitions are for teams that can compete. The Jets are not competing for anything in 2017. They are building for the future. Play the kid and let's see. Playing McCown over Hack with this roster and under these circumstances is pure idiocy. McCown is 38. He has no future here or in the NFL. I don't understand your post at all.

Pags2112 and LAJet like this.
  5. You, me & likely the Jets front office might feel this way. But to some extent that doesn't matter. It's all about what his teammates think of him. This isn't left guard or Will linebacker where respect isn't mandatory. This is the QB position for the New York Jets.

If he stinks up the practice field, gets outplayed by Mccown and/or Petty but gets handed the job regardless b.c of what you're alluding to..that could lead to alot of leadership/locker room/ morale issues. A team especially a young team..NEEDS to be behind its Quarterback. Hackenburg NEEDS the team behind him to be at his best. Now if he was taken #1 overall & immediately annointed as the starter..that'd be a different story. But the players don't care where Hack was drafted.

The ideal scenarios for Hack to end up behind 1st team center are the following:

1. He straight up beats out Mccown & Petty in TC/Preseason
    2. He comes up just short of getting the job & either replaces Mccown early on due to injury or poor play
    3. He gets snaps during garbage time of games showing marked improvement & overtakes the starting job
    4. Sometime around 0-10 an organizational decision is made to find out what the kid is made of

Certainly if it's at all close...he should far & away be given the nod. But whatever way it goes I agree he needs to see action..but it's a very sensitive issue from a team pecking order perspective b.c of the position he plays & what he was brought here to be.He needs to be an alpha & he needs to be a leader.If he wrongly gets handed the job..he will not have his teammates respect. Ideally there is a definitive moment in which he EARNS the position by means of competition & performance.

#25 KurtTheJetsFan, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
    Pags2112 and Jets_Grinch like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I think you're putting the cart before the horse here - we don't know that Hackenberg will be the guy yet.

That being said, whether it's Petty or Hackenberg I want to see a stat that I don't think anyone is tracking - throwaways. I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the receiver corps getting themselves too frequently to places where the ball should be thrown, or at least they often will not get themselves there. In that case we need to see if the guy is trying to force the ball to a place that doesn't exist or has the wisdom, after seeing the field, to throw the ball into row fourteen.

We also need to see if the guy has the ability to take control on the field and get the best out of the guys around him - even if only to save his own life and limbs.

PulseJet likes this.
  7. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I was completely on board with everything you were saying until it came to Carr. The Raiders had, and still have one of if not the best O-lines in football. Carr is the rare exception not the rule to how a first year starter should preform. Based on the Jets current structure I think it's going to rely more on the eye test than numbers.

It just depends on what they ask him to do but I think around 3,000 yards, 14-16 TD's and more TD's than INT's would be considered a success if he looks good doing it*.

- Making/changing (to) the right calls at the line of scrimmage
    - Going through his progressions, consistently
    - THROWING THE BALL AWAY when there's no play available (Haven't seen a Jet QB do this since Pennington)
    - Taking control of the huddle
    - Clock/game awareness, especially in 2min situations
    - Ability to make mistakes and have a short memory to move past it

In this hypothetical I would like to see him complete 60% or better, and I would like to see him throw at least 5 less INT's than TD's. Fact of the matter is you HAVE to bake in the O-line play (they may be awesome but just based on continuity I'll say they'll have issues) and experience at WR into the evaluation of Hack's raw numbers in the end.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced the Jets got McGown to sit and mentor.

I want to see Hack succeed here, but we are so gonna suck this season.

Here's to tanking...

tbruner12 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Oakland was middle of the pack line. They did grab Gabe Jackson and Donald Penn. But Penn, I believe wasn't healthy all year. I'd say Oakland's line really didn't take off until Carr's second season.

I don't think the line is as bad as everyone says, but remember I also said ball park, never said he had to have the exact same stats, but he needs to control the team and earn the respect just like Carr did. Putting a number on it is difficult but 14 tds isn't enough in a 16 game season. How many did Flacco have his rookie year? Maybe he threw a lesser amount of tds too.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

VLT or bust.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  11. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

It's funny I thought of Flacco too as being a good baseline. Flacco and Wentz in their rookie seasons are a good gauge for where I would like to see Hack end up. Flacco had 14 TD's, 12 INT's, 2,971 yards his rookie season. I think this is real close to what the coaches should be asking of Hack and where our expectations should be.

One thing about Hack is for sure, no one outside of the Jets organisation knows anything about where his skill level is right now. No matter how many slanderous articles of click-bait the NY media pump out or puff pieces for that matter. Though I can piece together enough comments and accounts to glean my own opinion right or wrong of what it might be. That Hack is a work in progress, has made large strides since his rookie year, and we have no idea where that progression lies as of 6/28/2017. I know everyone has a hard-on for Sam Darnold and a lot of people will be calling for Hack's head if he isn't on track for 4,000 yard / 20 TD / -10 INT / 65+ pass%. There again based on our current roster you have to put that into perspective, how would Darnold look in this situation? Just think of Jared Goff...

#31 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I haven't disagreed with a statement so much since Junc was posting.

13. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

A lot has been written here and I think a lot of you are looking too deeply into this. The most important thing I feel he needs to show in order to be an unchallenged incumbent is to make good decisions with the ball. He doesn't need to play perfect but I would like to see him not force things ala Geno, throw the ball away when things break down, finish a run with a slide, and get the he'll out of the way of rushers.
    If he does all this or even most of it, he will at least show there is a foundation to build upon.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe this is an oversimplification of the actual things that take place with the QB position. The receivers need to be in the right spot on every play, the RBs need to pick up the blitzes, but it's the QB who puts everyone in the right spot on every play.

A new offensive system takes about 6 games for everyone to be on the same page and it becomes 2nd nature for the QB to run. It's going to be ugly for the first few games before you see the offense come together.

The WR position is where the Jets will have the most trouble with, 1 guy with experience and another with speed to burn, is what they will be relying on to help Hack develop? It's going to be a challenge for Hack to move the team with the limitations the Jets have at WR.

What I'm looking for is the following, hit some deep passes for touchdowns, get to his check downs when there is nothing deep, read though his progressions, put the players in the right spots during his play calling, and not be 3 and out on most of the offensive series.

Being completely honest, there have been only 2 qbs to come in and have good seasons for rookie qbs, Dan Marino and last years Dak Prescott, but they had an excellent supporting cast. I don't think the jets have an excellent supporting cast in which a rookie QB can come in and flourish, I'm hoping he can play good football as the season goes on with the limited team the jets have put together.

#34 Red Menace, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  15. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Geno looked decent in his first year. At least something to build on. Then he was exposed and the wheels fell off. Geno was rushed in too soon, just like Sanchez.

Thats why I am against putting any pressure on Hack to start this year. If the Jets want to give him a look and he plays and does a good job, then great. But Hack is 22 years old and has a long career ahead of him if he keeps working.

If the Jets draft a QB next year I think they sit him and give the keys to Hack or Petty for the year.

Petty needs to win out in camp. He is 26 years old and this will be his third training camp. I think he has a better shot than most give him credit for, but we'll see.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Browns shouldn't hold competitions, if you know what I mean.

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It would be in Bowles best interest to start Hack and take the lumps of his growing pains, he can always fall back on Hack being a rookie and learning on the job for the bad season, if Bowles repeats his "best chance to win" approach with McClown as he did with Sixpatrick and the jets have a bad season with him, he will be fired.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Hack has that type of season, I think Mac will still draft a QB. I do agree, no one outside of the Jets organization knows how good the kid is. I personally think he's improved since last year. He's been making plays in OTAs / Minicamp, he's starting to impress some of his teammates. Long way to go. A lot of the guys on this roster have something to prove, a lot of them are young. This team could be as bad as everyone says it is, or they will simply exceed expectations and play a lot better then people think. Chad Hanson, an ASJ, a Jordan Leggett would do wonders for the young QB if they were to exceed expectations and play well for the season. I want a QB that can make those around him BETTER. Raise the level of play, I don't want a QB that we need everything to be perfect in order for him to just be average.

Goff was in a really bad spot, awful offensive coaching, believe it or not, I have faith in this Jets organization to develop Hack over Jeff Fisher developing any QB, Ram fans should be happy he's gone.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Matt Ryan had a good Rookie year, I would also say
    Ryan had a good Rookie season. I would also say Mariota wasn't bad either but this isn't what we are discussing
    What you are saying is basically the same thing I did. We all know Hack has a strong arm so throwing deep TD's means he is making good decisions. Getting to check spend when primary receiver is covered is making a good decision. If you are making first downs you are making good decisions. This is what I want.

20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

A lot of things have been mentioned in this thread that are 100% accurate. Hack needs to show weekly improvement, his TD/INT ratio should be in the 20/10 range, and I need to see him go through his reads consistently, be more accurate with the football (60+ completion percentage) and also not force turnovers. So far, we've heard that Hack looks to have improved which is great, but he has also continued to make stupid mistakes by forcing throws. In the NFL, forcing throws will lead you to the bench, Hack needs to fix that because I honestly believe that the QB competition is completely open. I don't think McCown is that far ahead of Hack and I do believe that if the gap is small by the 3rd week of TC, Jets may just roll with Hack.

101GangGreen101 likes this.