New College Scouting Director Hired

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jun 27, 2017.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

According to a report by the NYDN, the New York Jets will stay in house in naming their own Matt Bazirgan as their new College Scouting Director.

Rex Hogan who previously held the position left the Jets last month to join the Indianapolis Colts in a front office position under new GM Chris Ballard. Hogan had only been with the Jets since 2015, being hired by Mike Maccagnan to fill the role as senior college scouting director.

Instead of looking at external candidates the Jets have decided to stay in-house, selecting longtime scout Matt Bazirgan to fill the role. Matt has been with the Jets since 2004 where he was an area scout. John Idzik promoted him to assistant pro-personnel director in 2013. Mike Maccagnan then removed the assistant part of his job title two years ago, and it seems he's impressed Maccagnan enough to warrant a new promotion.

It's always good to see someone climb the ranks. It's important to remember that with Mike Maccagnan's extensive history in scouting, he still has a lot of responsibility in this area.

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We've had a lot of bad drafts since 2004.

Actually, we've had a lot of bad drafts since 1959.

ajax, wewantsapp, Jets69 and 2 others like this.
  3. boozer32

After Namath draft, the best one was the John Abraham, Sean Ellis, Chad Pennington one. Hitting on 1 first rounder is hard enough. But the Jets got 3 solid players.

ajax, HomeoftheJets and Jets69 like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Becht wasn't bad player either.

It concerns me that there are still remnants of Bradway's staff hanging around 1 Jet Drive, the fact that they are getting promoted considering the draft record since 2006/2007 gave us brick,nick,Harris,revis and a host of role players to make Rex's run really makes me wonder about this front office

ajax, 101GangGreen101 and Red Menace like this.
  5. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

I'm not at all impressed with the new title. We need better people in the scouting ranks. That way maybe we can start to get better draft picks, and we need them.

almbleamal likes this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Yes we have had some brutal drafts, i mean real brutal, but so have other teams so its not entirely just a jets thing.......
    However, modern day choices like boose, frost, nugent, gholston, k. wilson, hill, milliner, etc etc really make u wonder what the hell these scouting directors are or aren't doing.

My single biggest jet draft debacle is not taking marino in 83. I know some folks would disagree but looking at the entire history of both teams along with the jets draft history after that 83 draft, thats my opinion.
    Honorable mentions are b. Thomas instead of cortez kennedy and kyle brady instead of sapp.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

too bad abraham got traded cause cap/injuries and chad couldn't stay healthy. only ellis worked out long term for us. chad actually screwed us because of his cap hit. and made us miss out on landing brees.

8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Still a record 4 first round picks, thanks Keyshawn, don't forget the gold we got in the 3rd with Coles that year, great Jet reciever.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Agreed, at least the Jets have Mac here to put the final card in. As a previous scout, he will always have his opinion on a prospect and how the draft board is made. One that probably far exceeds the remnants of Bradway's staff in terms of knowledge.

10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Translation: The Jets went in-house because nobody outside the organization wanted the job.

tiger8mush and Cman68 like this.
  11. Ok..saying a HC candidate or even a GM candidate not wanting to be here for whatever the reason is one thing...but this idea that nobody wants to come here just seems like a real stretch.

There are only 32 organizations in pro football. While we maybe inept..we are far from a mickey mouse operation.In fact..in alot of ways the Jets do most things first class. There is a massive amount of competition that goes into these management level scouting positions. A long time scout on any team is really gonna turn down a major promotion to come to New York?? How many scouts that have come through NY that left or were let go for whatever reason didn't land on their feet w. another organization?? Not many. Hell even Terry F'N Bradway got a cushy gig in South Beach.Ultimate success here is the highest level of adulation & infamy. While its fashionable to say that nobody wants to come here...I think in the scouting community it'd be rather enticing...depending on what type of boss Mac is of course.Given the fact that he was a long time scout himself..chances are he's not the worst to work for.

As for the Jets scouting Dept in general. It's really hard to make heads or tails. Obviously the drafting/roster construction has been putrid for a long long time. But what exactly are the scouts role in that? Are they mainly information gatherers? While they are certainly doing prospect grades/evaluations...how do they fit into the hiearchy? Those evaluations could be nothing more than the "wide net" portion...in others words..they provide the filter for Mac & the upper echelon to fine tune the grades & build the draft board. At the end of the day a scout can be near perfect within his grade...but if whoever is the decision maker pulls the wrong string...what good are all those evaluations?

I've watched a significant portion of multiple NFL combines since basically they began being telecast. On more than one occassion..by more than 1 respected talking head, including Charley Casserly (long before his consulting gig for Woody or the Mac era)making reference to the Jets having a very well respected scouting Dept..even going as far as to say that they need to put that high regard into action w. good drafting. Additionally It's been referenced for as long as I can remember especially during the "Prospect visits/what teams were seen talking to whom" time frame that the Jets have one of the larger more wide spread group of scouts.

So there you have it...they dont lack resources/numbers & does not appear that they lack credibility. That may all be false...but more likely the issues are with the chain of command.

TonyFtLaud, Bellows1 and Ralebird like this.
  12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

funny thing about becht.....my uncle (thru marriage and has since passed) was a huge fan and attended many camp practices when on long island, knew many players and coaches personally over many years, and even applied (3 times) to the organization for a finance position (CPA).......

after a practice in early august 2000 I think - he runs into parcells somewhere in Nassau county and grabs his ear about becht. tells him that he should move becht to tackle cause he wont get separation, has so-so hands, and is a much better blocker. he says parcells looked at him and smiled - "well u may be right but it wont be my (parcells) decision to make".

of course BP was out after that year and in comes the star duo of bradway and edwards. LOL

boozer32 likes this.
  13. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I'll lump 2006 and 2007 together. Getting D'Brick, Mangold, Harris, and Revis doesn't get much better than that. One likely HOF and 3 All Pro 10 year starters that build the foundation of two teams that made deep playoff runs.

ajax and boozer32 like this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

....and Pennington!

15. boozer32

Your uncle was on to something there. Becht definitely sucked as a pass catcher.

Ralebird likes this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

boozer32 likes this.
  17. boozer32

Was not a fan of Becht. He's in the same zip code as Kyle "Marcia" Brady. Neither to be confused with Caster, Barkum and Shuler

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You have to remind yourself that t.e. Stands for tackle eligible when looking at Becht and brady

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Don't forget the draft that landed us Gastineau in RD 2 or the Revis / Harris draft.