What does Hack need to do to be the incumbent going in to 2018?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jun 27, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Like the title says, what kind of stats will hack need to have to not be in an open competition next year.
    For me I think, some where along the lines of 55% or better comp and a better than 1/1 td/int ratio. I feel like those are numbers you can build on with experience and some upgrades around him. Now I don't think that keeps the f.o. from completely ruling out a qb in next years draft but it should let him start at the top of the depth chart next spring.
    So let's hear it. What do you need to see?

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If he's still under center after the bye week he's a shoe in for 2018

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

1. Earn full respect of this teammates.
    2. I would say 57 to 60% completion rate.
    3. Cannot continuously lose games for the Jets [meaning late game turnovers / consistent turnovers]. Control what he can control.
    4. Win a few big games. I think this Jet team AT BEST is a 5 win team. If he can make some of his teammates around him better by making plays late in games, leading to some upsets, I think you got something there.

I think he needs to have a similar year like Derek Carr in 2014. Raiders went 3-13, but you knew they were coming. Carr as a rookie 21 TDs 12 INTs, Hack needs to be in that ball-park. Otherwise, the Jets should draft a QB next year.

4. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

He has to get better each and every week. With his supporting cast, I think that will be a tough road to hoe.

5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Hack doesnt need to be the reason we win games this year, he just can't be the reason we lose games. Our D should keep us competitive enough to be in the games. If Hack can limit turnovers and move the ball with some consistency it will be a successful year. And like @Peebag said, he needs to show improvement each week and throughout the year.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He needs to look like he has control of the offense by the end of the year. The Jets need to be able to move the ball consistently without having turnovers, sacks and errant 3rd down passes stalling them out. The overall stats are less important, except for the critical stat of points scored - with offensive performance on the rise as the Jets move through the season.

That said, if he just has a good game or two at the end of the year, well that's Geno Smith territory and we know how that turned out.

I think the Jets draft a QB if they're in position too next season. I think Hack has to be the obvious answer to forestall that, given the Jets recent history of not developing young QB's at this point. Imagine how we all would react if Hack had a couple of decent games at the end of 2017 and then looked more like his earlier play in the off-season and the Jets had passed on a live QB prospect in the 1st round?

KurtTheJetsFan and Peebag like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The thing is, I think he needs to at least show the ability to be the reason the Jets win a few games, not be the reason they don't lose. Perhaps win or keep the team close in a game where the defense isn't playing well.

I need to see more then what you mentioned.

#7 101GangGreen101, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Basically, if he can win .500 of his games down the stretch and the offense is looking better each week, then he has a good chance to be given the job going forward. If there isn't much progress from week 1 to week 17 then the 1st pick will likely be the next QB

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

See, I'm hesitant to put a record on it. So much inexperience on the roster we could see where he has control of the o but things are not executing right because of other elements.
    Maybe I shouldn't put a personal statistical marker either. I think the eyes won't lie.

10. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Depends on how many games he starts. If he's not in by week 3-4, that tells me the coaching staff doesn't have a great deal of faith in him, he'll have to really light things up when he does get in. If he doesn't come in hot and play well, I think we go QB in round 1 and it's a new competition next year.

If he starts the year, they see something in him to build on, if he plays well, we may not go QB in the first. Hack will be the man until he's not.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't think it comes down to stats. He just needs to show he has potential to be a franchise QB. The naked eye will be enough to tell if the Jets need to draft a QB or not.

Beating out McCown would be a huge step. Playing decent during the season would be nice to see too. He doesn't have much to work with, so can't expect too much, but I think you will be able to tell.

Personally, and I have said it many times, I expect Hackenberg to be a franchise QB in the NFL. I am just unsure if it will be with the Jets or not. He is only 22. The Jets make so many mistakes, I wouldn't be shocked if they gave up on him, he goes elsewhere, and lights up the league. Time will tell.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The timing on young QB's not picked in the 1st round has changed since the last CBA. It's changed dramatically since the 80's.

This is Hack's second season with the Jets and they have him under contract for 2 more years after that, through 2019. If he's a late bloomer he's going to present similar difficulties to the ones that Brock Osweiler presented for the Broncos, with not enough info to fully commit to a large contract.

If he shows something in 2018 the situation will be more like the Kirk Cousins situation, with minimal value under the cheap rookie contract followed by either a huge second contract or the franchise-franchise-franchise arrangement that the Redskins appear to be stuck with.

For the Jets to get a good grip on Hack's value he really has to show something this year. They can't still be in evaluation mode on him going into the 2018 draft, particularly if they have a prime pick in a QB rich draft.

I would argue that unless Hack looks really good the Jets should plan to take the QB available to them next year. Better safe than sorry and having an extra young QB with talent on the roster is never a bad thing.

KurtTheJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.
  13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think this is the right approach, and I think this is the Jets plan. If they have a top pick in the next draft, they are going to select a QB. EVEN if Petty or Hack put up Cousins or Carr like numbers I think they are targeting a QB. There is too much of a risk in passing that QB up. Maybe the good year for the QB on roster was a fluke? Or they suffer a Hightower like injury...

And if they select a QB I dont think they cut Petty or Hack next season either. They are both signed for small money next year and will be given the chance to compete or become the backup to the rookie.

14. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

How it should go:
    1. Play Hack the entire year, if he's dreadful, play Petty to close out
    2. Regardless of play, if there's a QB in the draft you like as good or better than Hack or Petty, you draft them and don't look back
    3. Let them compete in a true competition, we have all of these guys for a few years. Let the cream rise to the top.
    4. If more than one shows promise try to shop the lesser, let our guy amass experience to try to take over the division once Brady leaves town.

15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I don't care about wins, I'm not that concerned with stats. What I'd like to see is a QB who is calm, makes good decisions, makes some clutch plays, shows signs of improvement and learns from mistakes. In an ideal world I'd like one who is starting to show leadership. As 101 said early on, something resembling Derek Carr's rookie year performance is the benchmark. That's what I'd like to see.

16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

That's a tough one. With out OL and lack of experience at WR its gonna be tough to judge any QB especially by the numbers. He has to look like he knows what he's doing,,, no blank stares into space and just improvise and make some plays when things break down. That and show some mobility in the pocket. But the main point is I am not going by the #'s

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Although things are subject to change, the race for 2018 QB draft choices at the top spots is limited to two, the kid from USC and the kid from Wyoming. If we miss with those two the QB selection using the #1 pick gets very muddy. God I would love to get Sam Darnold, that kid is the real McCoy, but if he doesn't go #1overall I'll probably eat my hat. We will literally have to tank to get this stud. Unfortunately I just don't see it.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think we have that much of a dilemma. Our defense is good enough if Hack plays like a rookie Derek Carr we'll pick outside the top 5 or top 10. And with the leaguewide run on QBs these days all the best prospects will be gone by then.

Then again we're the Jets and fucking these things up is what we do...

boozer32 likes this.
  19. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

First of all, he needs to play. And by play, I mean the entire 2017 season. There is absolutely no reason to not start Hack in game 1 and continue starting him for 16 weeks, no matter what. If McCown plays a single game, even if he shows better in camp and preseason, I'm going to lose it. This season is about three things for the Jets. 1. Playing the young players to evaluate them and give them experience. 2. Determining if Hack has a future as an NFL starting QB or as an NFL player. 3. Losing so that the Jets are in position, finally, to draft a franchise QB in 2018. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for McCown to see the field absent injuries to Hack and Petty. The next 10 years of this team depend on evaluating Hack and determining if he is the real deal and/or drafting the future franchise QB. If this team plays McCown and wins 4 or more games and loses out on a QB in the draft again, I don't know what I'll do. Just think, if Ryan and his blowhard style doesn't eak out a win vs the Titans in 2014, Mariotta is the Jets QB and we would have been set for 10-12 years. Play Hack and build a team. Who cares about a few wins or whether Bowles stays or goes? I want to finally see a team that contends for a long time, and in today's NFL that means having a stud QB.

20. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

He needs to ask Joe Namath for the devils phone number so he can sell his soul.