2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe Doug Weight will have this team ready to go this year, I had no confidence in Capuano. The young guys are going to get a chance to play on defense and Eberle is a true winger.

Strome was a center playing wing and while he was playing better, Eberle being a natural winger will definitely pay dividends.

Hamonic was injured a lot and while he was one of their better defenseman, he lost too many games, to injuries.

This team will be out of the gate fast and furious with Weight behind the bench for a full season.

Anders Lee might score 50 goals this year.

CBG and JetBlue like this.
  2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Menace,,I like Lee a lot ------I really hope we get a second line center !!!!! Snow has to make another move ,,,,I like Duchene a lot but Sakic is an a hole I would make him an offer and immediately be on the phones working a deal with someone else . I am not so sure that Barzal is ready as many pencil him right in . Do you have any interest in Bryan Little ? I think we could make that happen,,,but god I really dont like Garth Snow he needs to make a believer out of me

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I would have taken Hammonic off your hands

CBG and Red Menace like this.
  4. Red Menace

He's a good stay at home defenseman, but he missed many games because of injuries.

It's not just about being a reliable player, it's also about being a healthy player. The islanders had Radik Martinek some time ago, guys could skate, shoot and was a solid defenseman but you knew it was a matter of time before he went on the injury list.

Does the team no good if your good defenseman only play 3/4 of a season.

5. Red Menace

With Ho-Sang playing wing on the second line, they might be able to put in Barzal, he does not need to be exceptional, just play a solid and responsible defensive style at first and let Ho-sang lead the break out, the center spots are tough to find.

I believe they gave up on Strome way too fast, should have kept him at center on the second line and let him and Ho-Sang play together, Strome was playing much better as a center until he broke his injury.

My top two lines would have been:

Bailey-JT-Lee
    Ho-sang-Strome-Nelson

CBG likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I just think that would have been more of the same ole same ole,I guess you could keep hoping that second line plays up to expectations . I said this before Nelson looks like Tarzan plays like Jane, the guy just disappears for shifts and games at a time and again is just too soft for me . I have zero problem packaging him to get a more consistent / better player back . Strome got jerked around , in and out of the lineup , wing, center all over the place but I like Eberle a lot . We will see if Strome now develops and plays better but again I like this trade . I think if we trade for another 2nd line center , or sign one in FA ( Boyle would add a lot as far as leadership and grit ) that we are in a good place . Also I know Bailey had his best year but I will say it again , myself or Matt Robinson or the Menace could score 30 goals playing with JT, Bailey should not be on the top line .

I like the first line of Lee , Eberle and JT
    2nd line right now is Bailey -GOD WE NEED a 2nd line center/otherwise Nelson ----and Ladd
    3rd ho sang ---Barzal <------- ( if we made a move we could have Nelson here , otherwise ) Beauvillier

just my thoughts.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

They would never have sent him in the division and he told them where he wanted to go, closer to his family I believe,,,btw Matt your guys at msg are shaking things up a bit

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The Islanders need a 2nd line center IMO but latest rumor has them reaching out to FA winger Justin Williams who I like a ton,,,,,

JetBlue and Red Menace like this.
  9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Great to see that Garth Snow is in mid season form !!!!! Why is this guy still employed ?

Red Menace likes this.
  10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I should not be but I am pretty shocked that Snow has not made any move to get a 2nd line center ? Maybe he has made a call or 2 who knows but this team NEEDS a 2nd line center----god I hate Nelson and Bailey aint far behind but he cant play center !!!!! I was on another board reading and one guy suggested that the Sabres have a glut of centers and I agree,,,,,I would at least call them and see if any interest ? PS I do not want Neilson back from Detroit as I also have seen suggested.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I know it's only July 5th but JT could have signed his new contract on 7/1. I don't want to panic but I hope they get this done before training camp otherwise it will be a distraction for the season. If he doesn't resign I can't really blame him as the Isles don't exactly pull out all the stops to field a winner. 1 playoff series win in the 8 years JT has been here.

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Greg yep July 1st came and went . No one would blame JT if he left at leas I would not , in fact many could argue "why would he want to stay here ". The new owners have not shown me much,,,I really expected Snow to be shitcanned last year and a real hockey guy / gm to be brought in but that never happened . This team is not horrible and getting Eberle was a good move but they need players and a 2nd line center badly . I am willing to see how this plays out but I fear I have seen this movie before . BTW if JT leaves it will set the franchise back many years !!!!

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Red Menace

I think Eberle will play on top line with, JT and Lee.

2nd line is Ladd, Barzal and HoSang.

3rd line is beauvillier, Bailey, Chimera.

Regarding JTs contract, I believe he will leave the Isles, the guy sees the writing on the wall, the ownership is inconsistent, the GM is stuck in the 70s, the organization for all of l it's wonderful history, it's just not a top level organization, he will just be wasting incredible talent with this team.

Doug Weight may be the only one who can steer this team into a position where JT might want to continue to play for them, if that does not happen, JT is a goner.

CBG likes this.
  14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Menace here is what I see ever time I look at the roster and the lines ---> Is Barzal ready to step up at all never mind 2nd line center ? And freaking Brock Nelson is not on your list and I wish they could just trade him and a pick for a better 2ND line Center !!! I would love Barzal to be the 2nd line center but IS HE READY ? I would rather have traded or signed a FA and not ask so much of Barzal YET and move Nelson off the team or to the 3rd line

15. Red Menace

From what I have been reading about him, he is making huge strides, putting him on the second line with Ladd and HoSang only requires that he play a conservative role.

Nelson can be moved around as the floater if he does not bring his A game every night. This team has young players that need ice time to help the team. HoSang skill level will help Barzal with his transition.

Barzal can't be out on a line with Nelson or Bailey, those guys will kill his confidence with their poor defensive play, they would be negative 1000 for the season, if they put them together.

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

SO ONE OF THE BEST YOUNG GOALIE PROSPECTS in the world decided to stay in Russia rather than come to the NHL and play for the Islanders ! Maybe he wanted to stay closer to home, stay near his family, or maybe the thought of playing for the Islanders and Garth Snow made his decision easy ? This decision of his might explain why we made the trade with Tampa for a goalie a few weeks ago ?

Red Menace likes this.
  17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I want to take this time to say I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend on a side note it appears Garth Snows entire life as GM is a relaxing weekend -------> fans are begging for a last minute move to improve this team alla trades like Leddy and Boychuk------> I won't hold my breath I have seen this movie before .

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Got a call yesterday from a nice young man from the NY Islanders , talking to me about tickets and packages . He asked me what I thought and my feelings on the team and I told him -----> what we have all said here . I told him how disappointed I am that Garth Snow is still GM . I told him that most Islander fans that I know feel the same as myself and ps no one would blame Tavares if he leaves and that we all hate the Barclays center it is a ridiculous place to watch HOCKEY,,,,,he was a nice enough guy but needless to say I di not buy any tickets or packages .

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Red Menace

You should have told him that Snows grudge holding cost this team the playoffs last year, they lost every game Berube started while he had Halak wasting away in the minors. That alone should have been reason enough to fire him, if I were the owner. Glad you acted as our liaison and did not purchase anything.

I hope the new owners are getting the feed back from the fans that Snow has to go and they will not buy any thing to support this team until he is fired.

CBG likes this.
  20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Menace I was on the phone with this guy for like 15 minutes --I kept going back to Snow . I told him I hated Cappy----he kept talking about the young talent and I said we will be lucky to make the playoffs . I told him the New Owners have not shown me a lot as of yet ,they kept Cappy around too long as he should have been fired immediately , and 11 years of Snow is just way too long if the owners wanted to commit to fans they should have brought in a hockey guy / big name GM to start the process . I told him maybe there is a move or 2 that can still be made but If you go into the season with this squad as is I will be watching games on TV . There was a lot more but you get the gist . I told him I do not know how many games I attended last year but I cant see myself going to any or at least committing to a package with this group as is . I told him more than once that none of us would blame JT if he walked and unless they make a commitment if I were him I would be gone----I cannot tell u how many times I told him I am amazed that Garth Snow is still GM,,,rant over,,lol

Red Menace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.