Why the jets won't be worse then last year - a realistic view

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 15, 2017.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. You can't go into a season with this roster and expect to win. So why should anyone be held accountable for losing?

2. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

If the jets go 0-16, 1-15 or even 2-14 someone has to be the scapegoat just to make ownership look like they're doing something. It may not be right but it's usually how it goes.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Beachum is 2 years removed form being the top LT in free agency. He didn't live up to his contract so was cut to save money, but clady didn't do jack for us last year and got hurt. Beachum is a clear upgrade. I disagree on johnson as well he played great in his limited time. and not like mangold had a great season before getting hurt. his age is showing hence why he is still on the market. Even harris got scooped up fast. as did marshall and decker. revis and mangold are the only 2 we released still looking for a team. I'm not saying our o-line will be great but it'll be better then last season IMO.

4. GasedAndConfused

all 3 are young and healthy which is much betetr then the breno clady experiment. breno was garbage and missed most of the season anyway and clady didn't play well and got hurt as well. which puts us back to square one, no worse off then we were last year.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

If they're worried about blowback from a really poor record, I think the blowback could be just as bad, or worse if they fire someone and the general consensus was that he didn't deserve it.

6. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Beachum was horrific last year and got cut by the Jaguars. Let me repeat that...he got cut by the Jags.
    Johnson and Winters are average at best. We do not know what we have in Shell.
    The only solid performer on the line is Carpenter.

Heaven help us if any of those individuals get injured.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I don't think Winters is even average on his best day. I suspect the Jags would have cut him, too, but he played for the Jets so he gets a big payday instead.

tbruner12 and Peebag like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Really, if we go 0-16 and get what we desire in the draft then Bowles deserves a medal imo

JohnnyJet likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

He got cut cause injuries not performance. that's his issue. he missed rpetty much all of 2015 and jax still gave him a huge deal and he was still the top FA LT for 2016. then in 2016 he got hurt yet again. But don't take my work. here is some stuff from PFF

Offensive line was the weak point of the Jaguars’ offense in 2015, and that will likely hold true again in 2016. There is some reason to believe it could improve going forward, though; Brandon Linder missed most of the 2015 season, but in 2014 as a rookie, he was among the highest-graded guards in the league. Kelvin Beachum was a free-agent addition from Pittsburgh who also missed 2015, but at his best, can be among the top left tackles in football.

Kelvin Beachum- albeit in limited snaps, he's PFF's 31st (out of 75) ranked tackle, with a pass protection grade of 78.1 (good for 27th overall) and a run blocking grade of 64.8, good for 42nd overall. Other than his health, I have no concerns about Kelvin, he'll never be a Tryon Smith like mauler in the run game but is really good in pass pro, when healthy.

As long as he stays healthy he's an upgrade from clady/ijlana we threw in. if he goes down then we are in the same boat as last year, no worse off.

To repeat myself, we won 5 game last year. the main point of this thread was people saying we would win 0-2 games. But realistically we are no worse off and should win 4-6 games again. maybe 7 if a lot of things come together. we aren't going to be that pathetic as people think. I never said we will be making a run at the playoffs. this is a year to watch young talent grow and figure out what we need to draft in 2018 and how to spend the 80 million in cap room we will have. My point was in no way are we an 0-2 win team.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

From NJ dot commercial
    "While Beachum was healthy enough to play in Jacksonville, as is the case with most major knee injuries, there were some lingering side effects from a torn ACL suffered in 2015. In 15 games, Beachum had a PFF grade of 44.3, which ranked 63rd among offensive tackles, and was a 41.3 point drop from his last healthy year in 2014. He allowed four sacks, six quarterback hits and 37 hurries." And he was held out of OTA in mini camp. Saying that Johnson played well compared to an injured ten year veteran is saying he's not that good. He should have outperformed Mangold if he was very good simply on the basis of age, let alone injuries. The other factor that we have yet to address is the time it takes for an offensive line to gel as a unit. It doesn't happen in the first game, maybe they will perform "good" as a unit by the 8th or 9th game if they come together quickly and stay healthy. But there are TOO many ifs, ands, or buts too provide a winning level of play.

Peebag likes this.
  11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Jets will not win more than 4 games. I pretty much think this year is for all our players to develop and add experience and then in 2018 Mac uses all our cap space on glaring holes and has a bunch of high picks in the draft.

12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I agree this year is about developing the young players but I hope Mac is much more reserved with the spending then you suggest.
    A couple free agent signings make sense. Spending it all should be grounds for Mac's immediate termination. We need to carry over as much as possible to extend our own FAs and to add key FAs once the team is ready to complete. Anything else is a recipe for failure.