Why the jets won't be worse then last year - a realistic view

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 15, 2017.

1. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I believe ijalana will be competing with shell for the RT position.
    I think what needs to be said if I'm correct I think the OP is simply stating the team is not any worse off than it was last year...not necessarily better. I agree. The final games last year when Powell was used correctly we were playing a very inexperienced line. Clady was useless. Who cares if he's gone. The only way this team will be struggling next year would be veteran leadership but I think we have some great coaches now that are very much involved and a loud presence. Forte is still here. As crappy as McCown is from a support and mentoring standpoint he beats Fitz. Adams has been showing he is ready to take on a leadership role although he is a rookie so he has to focus on himself as well to learn the NFL game. There is no chance we are worse than last year's team....but not really better.

2. Penning10

Penning10 Member

You know, I agree with half of this actually. I was incorrect when I said WR could be better or the same as 2016.

I do feel we are better at OL b/c Mangold was so banged up & ineffective, Giocomini & Clady sucked and our guards are trending upward.
    I'm willing to bet that Shell will outperform Giocomini and hopeful Beechum can play better than Clady.

However, it cannot be said that we are stronger at WR because even last year's version of Brandon Marshall is better than anyone we have on the roster currently (unless you really want to make a case for Ennunua). We can't just assume a couple of mid-level draft picks are upgrades. Also, I'm not as high on Robbie Anderson as everyone else. Just seems like a one trick pony with suspect hands and route running ability.

Big picture -- I'm not sold on 1-15 or 0-16. I think 4-6 wins is where we end up. We have to hope that Hackenberg is either amazing or awful. Nothing in between.

MoWilkBeast and TonyFtLaud like this.
  3. nicg4360

One guy that's an improvement over last year and could make things interesting is the new OC. As crappy as the qb play was last year the play calling was so lame and predictable. The actual use of the TE's I think is a big plus and hopefully Powell is used more and it even looks like we could have FB's. Who ever thought? Gailey had his day but his playbook had aged as much as he had and we needed a fresh new mind to try and jump start our offence.
    Morton alone will make this team better.

TwoHeadedMonster and hwismer like this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

How do you know that? Gailey sucked, before him Mornhinweg sucked, before him Sparano sucked. Schottenheimer sucked, Heimerdinger sucked and of course, Hackett sucked and the list goes on. Sense a pattern here? In order for an OC to be effective he has to have a better than average QB, which the Jets don't have. My money's on Morton sucking by the end of next season too.

5. nicg4360

Yes
    Yes Morton could suck....but let him try before you write him off. This sounds eeily like a Hackenberg thread lol.

6. westiedog1

I'm not judging him any more than you are. Nevertheless, you're right about Hackenberg because I don't know for sure if he will be the starter this season or not. In any case, no matter who starts, if the offense crashes and burns which seems likely, it's hard to imagine people saying nice things about Morton in January.

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Spot on, especially as far as the WRs.
    Everyone is going on about Enunwa, some suggesting we need to extend him now. He was a Hybrid H Back with Marshall drawing the opposing Ds top corner or double coverage . Enunwas strength was his inside blocking. Now he's going to move outside and be the main Reciever. I doubt his production improves , in fact, I expect a decline.
    As far as Hack goes. The best we will likely see I'd something between Awful and good. Amazing , with this roster would be near impossible for the Leagues best QBs.
    Hack is going to be very tough to evaluate in just one season and I can imagine how that will set up the media for the 2018 Draft.

#127 TonyFtLaud, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Anyone taken in the second round has to be playing and playing soon. That is a high draft position. What is there to question?

rohirrim665 and westiedog1 like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No, that is what's happening and I suspect a part of why so many qbs washout. If he was ready to be playing soon he would not have been a 2nd round pick. A case can be made that none of this years first round picks are ready to play. This short sighted view of having to play immediately is not going to speed up the process of finding our qb. In fact, it may be slowing it down

#129 FJF, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  10. westiedog1

I'm sure you read about the contract that Carr just got from Oakland. Makes him the highest paid QB. The reason Oakland is confident to give him that kind of money is because they put him out there early and saw what he was capable of. We learned nothing about Hackenberg last year. In two years, the Jets are going to have decide whether to give him a big contract or let him walk. That's not a lot of time to evaluate a QB to determine if he's your franchise. From here on, every game that goes by that he doesn't play makes the decision that much tougher.

nicg4360 likes this.
  11. FJF

for every derek carr how many geno smiths are there? by your logic we should try to move to pick 200 and pick a qb because tom brady.
    now, i think there may be options between let him walk and a big contract, everything isn't one end or the other. but either way, 3 years left on his deal and no incumbent to beat for the starting job. if its done right he will either take the reins this year or next or will have a competing qb pass him on the depth chart and will be a cut entering his fourth year. playing last year wasn't going t change that for the better.
    i really can't say enough how much i love the fact that they put him on ice for the season. he has to feel more comfortable knowing how the camp works and just having to learn the playbook and not worrying about how to live as an nfl player too. i wish they would have added another qb in this draft. no reason not to keep feeding the machine until it spits out a winner.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

FJAY,,,,,I will give the he needed a year to sit but my problem is Bowels . I will happily eat crow should Todd Bowels turn into a good coach but I think he is what he is a bad HC ! That said HACK sat but now its a whole new playbook so the kid must learn a new offense . Then on top of that I come back to our HC who I will bet right here and now starts Mccown . I dont care if Hackenberg looks great in camp this coach is not changing his philosophy . Unless some higher power tells him to start the kids he's playing Mccown . I really feel that next year this time Hackenberg will be learning another new offense -----I will be beyond shocked if this coaching staff can do anything with this team , I expect the worst case scenario .

13. westiedog1

I don't think my logic says anything about where QB's should be drafted. I'm simply trying to point out that the clock is ticking for Hackenberg to prove he's a franchise QB.

14. nicg4360

I agree...he needs to show he can win games by being more than a game manager. He needs to put the team on his back and will them to win. It's alot to ask with the roster so stripped down and such a mystery but if Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold are staring the jets in the face and available to draft Hack will have to give them more than one or two reasons to pass on one of the best QB classes.

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

It's pretty simple why Hack is going to start at some point. Mac would be making an admission that he totally screwed up selecting him with a second round pick and that is something he can't do. He isn't Andy Reed or Bill Belichick, he is a guy the Jets elevated from scout to GM. He doesn't have this clout to say yeah I screwed up that high draft selection, so what, especially with the recent Devin Smith fail. For that reason Hack is a priority to get on the field and this year is his best chance.
    A while ago I remember an interview with Amani Toomer where they were asking him if high profile FA RB on another team would play because they had a promising young player on the team who played well in a few games. Toomer started to laugh saying they are not going to pay the other guy millions to sit. They have to play him.
    I'm pretty sure in this case, it applies to draft position.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. nicg4360

Seems like McCown is highly skilled in the sense he will get you that coveted 1st overall pick better than most. He's done it for more than 1 franchise. I guess his millions is worth it to get us a FQB who actually changes the direction of the Jets. Mac has gotten rid of so many vets yet we still have the oldest one of them all. He has to be here for a reason and it sure isn't because he gives us the best chance to win.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. FJF

Here's the thing C,I don't think anyone is on the hot seat.i think casserly told woody he has to let things develope,I think mac an Bowles both told him they might be right where they are now when mac was making it rain during the 2015 free agency period, I mean who didn't see that being a 2 year at most throw the angry mob a bone type move,and I think woody has realized himself that you can't have this upheaval every 3 years. Basicallly I think the jets are done reacting to the reaction of the fans and the writers who like to rile the fans up.

westiedog1, MoWilkBeast and CBG like this.
  18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I think the only way this season could be a disappointment was if McCown starts.

If Petty and/or Hack starts, I'm fine. Either they suck and we get an elite pick or they do well in which case we finally found an option for QB. Petty wasn't given a fair shake last year so him getting a shot this year would be nice.

But I think the future is bright so as long as the Patriots don't win another Super Bowl, I'm fine with however this season ends.

nicg4360 likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

FJAY,,,,I hear you but Iron Mike said " everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face " = Woody can say all he wants in April but come November , when the media is destroying us and we are the brunt of punchlines on late nite TV and IF the Giants are doing well and The Pats are doing well ----I cannot see Woody sitting tight and doing nothing it is just not in his DNA . This organization has always been so aware of its little brother status and afraid of the bad press I just dont believe it . Are they currently taking the right course of action ? yes. Should they have acted this way in year 1 instead of year 3 ? yes . They have NEVER been patient before and regardless of all the talk of a plan and yada yada , these are OUR New York Jets we are talking about-----I will believe it when I see it .

20. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

We'll be worse... we better be. If Hack craps out we are going to need the highest pick possible.