Was the Rebuild a Last-Minute Decision?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jun 9, 2017.

?

How Do You Think the Complete Rebuild Came About This Season?

Poll closed Jun 20, 2017.
  1. The plan all along was to go with the complete rebuild in the 3rd season

11.1%
  2. The plan for the team's future changed during last season & they decided to go w/youth

27.8%
  3. The plan changed in 2017 when they couldn't sign a good FA QB & Pettyburg showed little progress

11.1%
  4. Mac convinced Woody that the complete rebuild was necessary during this off season

38.9%
  5. We're lucky that they had little cap space to bring in new FAs & that forced the change

11.1%
  6. This is plain and simple a tank job to get Darnold, Allen or another QB in the 2018 draft

5.6%
  7. I don't think they have a long term plan. They're winging it by the seat of their pants

11.1%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If the Jets can offload Richardson for a 4th round pick I would do it in a heartbeat. Frees up more cap, and his off the field issues & attitude are well documented as troubling.

Br4d and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Free agency should be for that final piece to a championship or a franchise changer. A way to shift the the good fortune your way. That's why you build your core from the draft. Blowing your wad in FA has never equated to winning titles.

TonyFtLaud and Jets_Grinch like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It works if you can get a franchise QB cheaply, like the Saints did with Drew Brees. Other than that trying to build through free agency is just building sand castles. The tide is always going to come in before you know it and knock them down, 2 years at the outside for most teams.

The Saints have made it a regular practice to go 7-9 since they had to actually pay Brees at the market rate for a franchise QB.

The only way to stay highly competitive with a normal franchise QB at the top of the pay scale is to draft better than any team ever has over a period of years. Aaron Rodgers is probably the only QB in the cap era to get paid at the top of the scale and also be good enough to carry a team on his back. Even then he only has one ring. The guy with a bunch of rings has been "officially" paid a mid-cap contract for a QB - like $14M not $24M.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

Agreed, the Seahawks could've been a dynasty, but Wilson's contract has hindered them. Terrible offensive line.

Carr got his money, will Cousins command the same dollar? Jets say they draft a qb next year, you got a 4 to 5 year window.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Br4d likes this.
  5. Br4d

QB draft in 2018 and he works out.
    2019 tooling up and potentially making the playoffs if lucky.
    2020-2022 The window.
    2023 QB and other stars start to hinder the cap.

Ideally the Jets draft a QB to groom behind the 2018 guy along about 2021 and they have some options come 2023 and 2024. Maybe franchise the first guy for a season and then put him on the market with a non-exclusive tag in 2024 and reap the two 1sts when somebody jumps at the chance to pay through the nose for a franchise QB who is still south of 30.

6. grkmanga31

I don't disagree. Build through draft, fill final pieces through FA. But let's say Hackenberg actually balls out, or we suck so bad and we get Darnold or Rosen, not using that cap in order to boost the talent on the roster would be a bad move IMO. That doesn't mean throw money at everything and anything, but if Jets feel like they can add a premier player, and can do so by analyzing his benefits for the entire contract, then I'm good with it.

TonyFtLaud and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  7. Br4d

Based on the Jets probable window a free agent would have to be 25 or so next year to really fit in well with the overall push.

That would make him prime time in 2019-2021 and just post-prime in 2022 with an open question of whether he was going to step down at 30 in 2023 - most likely yes.

8. 101GangGreen101

No faith in Hack Br4d? I am sure you will be watching plenty of college football. If Hack could be that guy, next year could open the SB window. 2nd year starting QBs, usually make big noise ...

FJF likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

If Hack steps up considerably, the rebuild is over, you start fielding a good team, you def look at FA for some targets. But the CORE, I want all to be drafted.

QB
    Pass-rusher
    Interior lineman
    Linebacker
    Safety
    Stud tackle

grkmanga31 likes this.
  10. grkmanga31

I agree. Jets really need to address the pass rush. I know Donahue was drafted in the 5th round, but I would like to see what he provided on third and long situations. He has been known to have a great motor. With Kevin Green coaching him, maybe he provides some much needed pressure off the edge.

11. 101GangGreen101

I still don't get the commotion about Donahue.... not going to lie, he appears to be nothing more then a special teamer to me ... Kevin Greene, might be this team's MVP though, if he can get these linebackers to make plays.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

101, I've seen a number of very positive reports on Donohue. He has a non-stop motor, supposedly has excellent football instincts, and is a very good player. I read somewhere that Kevin Greene was lobbying for the Jets to take him in the draft and is VERY high on Donohue. He may not prove to be a topflight pass rusher, but if what I have read about the kid is accurate, he will make the team, play not only on STs, but on D and make some pretty big contributions. I think I also read that he has more career tackles than any other football player in collegiate history. He sounds like a sound football player.

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The Jets haven't hit on. FQB in over 40 years, now we're going to start stockpileing them. If we find a FQB in next year's draft, locking him up long term has to be the teams Priority come year 4. If the Back up looks like a FQB you can trade him for extra draft picks. There is a reason FQBs don't come available in Free Agency.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Even if Hack steps up, the rebuild is far from over. There are lots of holes to fill and there is still next to no depth across the roster. Hack will only be one piece . Look at our roster. How many players can you honestly say would be starters on any other team? Still need to improve the O line , the RB position, CBs, edge , LBs, Need a #1 WR , the rest of the young receivers are unknowns.D line, our strength is a big question right now. Sheldon's likely gone by the trade deadline and Wilkerson has to to take major strides on and off the field or he won't be here for long with that contract. It's going to take at least 2 more drafts if most of the selections all pan out. The FAs signings should come after. Otherwise we're back to 2013 and back to fighting for mediocrity. This process is going to take time . It won't be fun but it has to be done right.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

To those members who are enjoying the fruits of retirement and giving those brain cells a workout on the TGG I salute you!

I am making a last minute decision to read some posts and get ready for work

Thought for the day: Only a FQB will win for us,,,SUCK FOR SAM (10Xs)

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I picked 'other'.

When Trump confirmed to Woody he was going to England for a year, Woody decided to gut the team and take his lumps while he wasn't around to be seen or to give interviews.

It's the perfect cover.

17. grkmanga31

I think people are high on him because of Kevin Greene. I don't expect him to become the next Von Miller or anything but even if he contributed on ST and can provide some pressure on 3rd downs it would be good.

18. 101GangGreen101

If Kevin Greene lobbied for him, then I am on board for sure. If he can get on the field on nickel packages and contribute then that's a successful draft pick considering he was drafted in the 5th round. Can't wait for training camp to see what he can do. Thanks for the information bud!

19. 101GangGreen101

Think about the CORE, Jets would really lack 1 or 2 more pieces and that's a pass rusher and a good left tackle. Get younger at RB. Think about a good / elite level player at every level of the offense and defense. You don't need studs at every position, but you need good players at specific impact positions. Jets can find role players late in the draft and in FA. If certain players step up:

Defense:

Interior Lineman - Leonard Williams / Mo [Mo, 2 time 2nd team all pro, LW future all pro]
    EDGE Rushers - Missing a true EDGE rusher, we have complimentary pieces
    Versatile cover linebacker - Darron Lee
    Back-end playmaking safety - Jamal Adams

Offense:

QB - Hack
    WR - Enunwa, Anderson, and young group of receivers. Could use another good receiver, I prefer having multiple options instead of 1 stud.
    TE - ASJ / Leggett
    Offensive Line - Need a LT, I think the Jets are OK everywhere else for the time being

If Hack plays well, you go into the next draft possibility with a high draft pick that you could turn into gold. The rebuild is over once you find your QB, especially when that QB is cheap on the dollar. One more strong draft and the Jets would be ready to contend for a WC spot. Players need to step up and progress that are on this roster.

20. 101GangGreen101

Maybe we should let Sam play another season before declaring him the greatest thing since sliced bread. Still needs to work on his release, scouts are already nitpicking that. Needs to show more consistency this season.

Ralebird likes this.