Woody Johnson Nominated To Be Ambassador To UK

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hwismer, Jun 22, 2017.

1. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

• ESPN
    Official announcement on Woody Johnson, as it appears in the White House press release: Robert Wood Johnson IV to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Mr. Johnson has served for more than thirty years as the Chairman and CEO of The Johnson Company, New York, NY, a private asset management firm. Since 2000, he has also been Chairman and CEO of the New York Jets and the Chairman and CEO of the New York Jets Foundation. Mr. Johnson is the Founding Chairman of Lupus Research Alliance, the largest non-profit organization dedicated to the prevention, treatment, and cure of lupus. He has served on the President's Export Council and the President's Commission on White House Fellows. Mr. Johnson earned a B.A from the University of Arizona.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Little change-up at the "Owner" position can't hurt, right??

Royal Tee and boozer32 like this.
  3. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

What does he know about being an ambassador? what does he know about the UK? what does he know about politics?

If Woody brings the same luck he has had since he has owned the Jets, then we are stuffed.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

He knows about as much as his boss.....

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

When does he leave??? Tomorrow morning hopefully.

6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I wonder if he knows what plenipotentiary means. I would love to be a diplomat. Not because I'm diplomatic, just so I can abuse the parking rules of any foreign nation as payback and rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in unpaid parking tickets and scoff. Because I'm a diplomat.

egelband likes this.
  7. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

So how will the Jets be affected if Woody Johnson heads to the United Kingdom as U.S. ambassador? Probably not much at all; it's not as if he's a day-to-day fixture at the team facility. He'd be consulted on big decisions, but his brother, Christopher Johnson, would handle the day-to-day stuff as the new chairman/CEO. He's a minority owner and passionate about the team, people tell me. I've spoken to him a couple of times. He's personable, engaging and a good listener.

Rich Cimini

boozer32 and FJF like this.
  8. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Should be good news. Now we can let "football people" make football decisions

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Super Bowl!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

boozer32 likes this.
  10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Prior to this year I would have said that it couldn't, if anything it would help.

However, now there has been a recent change in the approach to giving the coaching staff and GM a pass on a year that is not perceived to be successful. While also allowing for a rebuild that has been needed many times over throughout the Johnson ownership era but has never come to pass until now.

Personally I would like to see this vision through to the end without altering the course that the team is currently on.

A visionary with the newly acquired keys to the kingdom and one of the largest salary cap budgets going into the next season could certainly do just that.

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Bye

Royal Tee likes this.
  12. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm too optimistic but it occurred to me a while ago that not firing the HC and GM this year was actually the right thing to do so you can let this year happen, get the #1 pick, then fire the HC and GM and hopefully get higher quality candidates interested in the prospect of developing their own #1 pick QB from scratch.

However the complete neglect of the OL indicates that Woody is probably not smart enough to actually have that good of a plan. Other than that and every other piece of information we've ever learned about Woody, that realization was a little cause for hope for me.

13. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this. I can't see any logic in an NFL rebuild that doesn't START with the O-line.

sec314 and Peebag like this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Best offseason move yet. Get him far away from the Jets and things might improve. Now if we can get Dolan nominated as Amb. to Ireland. We might see our New York franchises improve.

#15 boozer32, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Cman68 likes this.
  16. boozer32

But the new GM won't have much time to scout the next QB if Macc is fired. The scouting department probably will stay intact and then get fired the following year.

17. boozer32

Yeah but when it comes time to dump the dead hooker you might need some cooperation.

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

19. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Woody going to U.K. Will have zero effect in the running of this organization. No big decisions will be made without him. They have phone email and skype over there and he will have plenty time of doing nothing. Someone mentioned the offensive line which I believe is right behind qb as the most important position in football. I got killed mentioning we did shit about this year because I was told this draft was lacking on lineman. I could be wrong but I don't think our gm has drafted any ol early in the draft during his time. I can see our dee being better getting better qb play and young wr showing potential but our line killing us and the poor qb whoever that is. It's funny because that's the one position we have been pretty consistent since we drafted nick and ferguson.

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You forgot the most important question, what does he know about football ...