Why the jets won't be worse then last year - a realistic view

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 15, 2017.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Is that what you have been reduced to, it is pathetic really.

Oh and not all English people drink tea or wear bowler hats btw

2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

David Harris wasn't a 2 down back. He played in 87% of defensive snaps. Yeah, he's not great in coverage, but he's a leader and signal caller on the D. He'll be tough to replace.

boozer32 likes this.
  3. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Not sure how much I agree with this. Due to where he was drafted, they have to want to get him on the field. I don't recall Gaily saying that about mechanics, but I think Farve had terrible mechanics to the point that coaches in GB would tell the guy behind him not to watch too closely what he does. The main thing is him getting the ball to the receiver.

4. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Gailey said specifically that they just wanted Hackenberg to work on the mental part of his game and his mechanics would be addressed in the following offseason...that just tells me they did not have alot of intentions of working with Hackenberg let alone playing him.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Why do they "have to want to get him in the field"? He was a 2nd round pick. He needed the season to get acclimated,I would argue that almost every qb drafted these days need that year to transition. Rushing theses guys out there is relatively new and really mind boggling. The college and pro games have never been so far apart and we expect these qbs to just jump right in?
    I don't know if hack will be any good but I do have confidence in the plan they used to prep him.

6. nicg4360

Agreed and to add to this they drafted him stating he was a "project". Projects do not get rushed out on the field. He was damaged goods that they felt they could reverse the issues he had. Had he played and got destroyed which is a high possibility I'm certain many posters would have been livid wondering why they rushed him on the field.
    I do agree keeping him in a bubble did Hackenberg no favours as no one likes a 2nd round pick being a big fat question mark on what he is able to bring to the table.
    They should have focused on his game a bit more through the season and got him game ready enough to even play garbage time or just wrap up the last game of the season then hack would not be getting all this media bashing.
    I guess they had a plan and are sticking to it.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I want to see what Hackenburg can do. Hoping he is our answer. From what I saw in preseason game 4 last year can't say I think he is the answer but people grow and would love for him to be the answer. Allow us to draft other areas of need and not have to worry about the qb position. Knowing the Jet luck in the ten games he gets this year he'll get injured and we won't be able to evaluate him draft someone else and he'll go somewhere and be a great player.

K'OB likes this.
  8. nicg4360

I hope to see Hackenberg show he is the answer but with how the jets are setting themselves up for a premium pick in a QB rich draft Hackenberg will have to at least have a season like Carson Wentz.

9. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

If you don't think QB can be worse than last season, you are really lying to yourself. Fitz had some competent games, and despite the turnovers is still a capable veteran that can give you a solid 250-275 yard passing attack on any given day. McCown is worse than Fitz, as a general proposition and throughout his career. If he goes down, Petty could give a worse version of Osweiler on the Texans last year. And if it gets to Hack, do the names Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell ring a bell? The idea that we cannot be worse at QB this year is laughable to me. With the guys on our roster, there is potential for our QBs to produce an NFL historically bad QB season, as opposed to the run of the mill bad season we got last year when Fitz was in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boozer32 likes this.
  10. nicg4360

That's arguable as Bowles is adamant that he will play the QB he feels gives us the best chance to win which is determined by practices between games. Fitz played so historically bad that Geno Smith replaced him. Then when Geno Smith got injured same game Fitz got back it then was unseated by above said Bryce Petty. In fact after Petty went down Fitz was so ridiculously terrible that people were clamoring for Hackenberg to play. Fitz only kept coming back because of the Fitz curse. Everyone seems to get injured every freaking place he goes....that's why he keeps a job.

11. Penning10

Penning10 Member

When I first read the OP I thought.."Wow what an overly optimistic opinion, but way off base". However, after looking over the depth chart a few times I think its not too far-fetched. The WRs, RBS, TEs and even OL are probably just as good if not better. It will come down to whether or not the QB play is markedly better. The prevailing thought that Hackenberg will have no weapons is not really accurate. I contend that Ennunwa, Forte and Powell are solid NFL players and we keep hearing about how great Sefarian-Jenkins looks. Robbie Anderson has the speed to keep defenses honest.

The problem lies with the defense. Are you really confident that Wilkerson and Richardson are back to being really good players? The linebacker corps has definitely taken a dip without adding anything significant. Also I think its great that Pryor and Revis are gone, but Buster Skrine looks to me to be one of the worst CBs in the league. The guy gets penalized constantly and gets torched when he's not flagged. With this year's team it looks like he will have to play even more.

Anyway, back to the original question...yes I think we can be as good if not a win or so better than last year. But wouldn't that be the worst possible thing that could happen? 5-6 wins? A terrible season and no franchise QB to boot.

12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm still confused about how OL and WR are somehow better now than last year. I think I'm getting old.

13. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

LOL, @SolidGoldBowles >>who is going to block for whichever running backs' are trying to advance the ball AND who is going to keep whichever QB upright on passing plays? I see LOTS of 3 and punt, the defense on the field for say 35 - 40 minutes a game and YOU say we will win @ least as many games as last year? Whatever drugs your on I want some.

Jets69 likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

How did our line get worse then last year?
    we replaced ijlana at LT with beechum (since clady got hurt and sucked anyway) so upgrade
    carpenter and winters are back - same
    Shell starts at RT same (and he did betetr then the few games breno played)
    Johnson replaces mangold. played great when mangold got hurt. matter of fact with him at center and powell running the ball out run game was better then earlier in the season

The o-line to me has improved. beechum is a huge upgrade, johnson filled in great for mangold, and the rest is pretty much the same.

hwismer and nicg4360 like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

i explained o-line in the OP and above this post

For WR i explained above in the OP, basically decker didn't play last year and marshall was a banged up liability. additon by subtraction. and he made fitz force too many balls his way. our 2 best WRs last year were enunwa and anderson. both are back and more experience. same with peake and marshall. peake, marshall, and anderson were all rookies. a 7th rounder and to UDFA. they will improve in year 2. We also drafted 2 WRs in the 4rd and 4th as well. Plus ASJ at TE healthy and motivated and out draft pick.

16. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

No, we have a good chance at 0-16.

The organization has quit, the leaders are gone, so after a few lopsided loses the team will quit too.

Look at the schedule. Our easiest game is probably @ Browns or Chargers. Find me 5 wins on the actual schedule instead of reviewing the roster and being optimistic.

#116 MowTin, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

You are comparing pre-season 2017 with mid-season 2016. We don't know who is going to be banged-up yet this year - for all we know ArDarius Stewart may be the second coming of Dee Milliner. I still don't see how you can subtract Decker and Marshall, add unproven rookies and come out with a stronger WR corps. I agree we are stronger at TE.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

because Decker didn't play last year. he only played what 2 weeks? so he pretty much didn't exist last year so him not being on the team this year is a wash. We didn't improve but we didn't get worse since he physically was barely on the field for us. As far as marshall goes there is a few things. 1st off he pissed off the locker room, 2ndly he was banged up and looked slow and ineffective compared to 2015 marshall, 3rd off his bitching about the ball led to fitz forcing it to him which led to a ton of INTs and 3 and outs. I don't think anyone can honestly say marshall had a decent season last year. Meanwhile anderson came along and had some big games for us and now he has experiance and a full offseaosn with the 1s. as long he he stays healthy it's an improvement. same with enunwa. he performed great last year and with more reps and experience he will improve.

nicg4360 likes this.
  19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Huh? Shell only started 3 games, but it seems like everybody is completely sold on the guy already. Although I expect him to become a quality starter in time, he didn't look like he was ready yet to me. Qvale started 5 last year, and has just as much chance of being the starter in 2017.

Didn't Ijalana play RT when Clady was healthy? Might he take that role back over, or is he backup LT for sure?

20. JohnnyJet

JohnnyJet Member

Beachum is at best an unknown, yes he could outperform and just as easily underperform, your evaluation of Johnson's play is totally off the mark he played poorly in all but the 49er's game.Carpenter is the strong part of this unit with Winter's at best serviceable given no other option, and at right tackle we have Shell and or Ijlana neither is in the top half of tackles in the NFL. So ? at left tackle, left guard is the best lineman on starting unit, center worse than a 10 year veteran now asked to start, right guard serviceable, and neither option at right tackle is top 20 NFL quality right tackle. And this offensive line is near the bottom of starting units in the NFL. Sorry, but as I said I see plenty of 3 and outs and lots of on field time for the defense. Those two elements will lead to less wins than last year.