Jets releasing Eric Decker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Garrison Nauman, Jun 6, 2017.

1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

We cut him for payroll reasons not for what u just posted. The coach and gm were visibly upset the day deck and Harris were let go. Quincy is the only wr who has shown he can be disruptive. Whoever is the qb on this team us screwed because u need a mixture of veterans and young players at this position. I like some of the young kids but they r not going to scare anyone. The owner figured either way we r going suck so let me save some money. Not a football decision as u describe so well

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Decker gets a get out of jail free card

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Nope. You're wrong. It was a football based decision.

If Decker (at the age of 30) wasn't coming off of both an offsaeason shoulder surgery as well as an offseason hip surgery; he'd still be a Jet as of today.

Drafting both of ArDarius Stewart & Chad Hansen back-to-back during the 3rd & 4th rounds (before the release of Eric Decker) were also football based decisions ala 'thinking in advance'.

Both of our talented younger receivers in Enunwa & Robby will have an opportunity as one's and two's come 2017 but if not for offseason surgeries to both of Decker's shoulder and hip... he'd then be on our roster today.

And if the tables were reversed and it was Matt Forte coming off of offseason hip and shoulder surgeries he'd have been released too; regardless of "cap savings".

4. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Matt forte contract is guaranteed so he would not be cut icoming off an injury if he looked as good as decker did. Decker and Harris both gives woody money in his pocket. Do u believe Harris was a football decision? Decker looked great in camp. To think Iwe would cut 2 vets in June and not be a money decision is laughable. Quincy and Anderson a one and two. Now that's sad. Are you related to woody

#244 sec314, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the Jets have been interested in giving Hack a supporting cast?

This season is all about Hack's development, and they aren't giving him the tools to succeed.
    Like Harris, there was no good reason to cut Decker. Prob should've kept Mangold at a reduced salary too, to help Hack with protection calls.

6. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

This is what I have been saying all along.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The majority of the supporting cast is young for the Titans. Same with the Cowboys. I mean I don't disagree with what you are saying here. I would've liked Decker and Harris back as well.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The Titans have Demarco Murray, Delanie Walker, and now Eric Decker as primary supporting staff for Mariotta.
    That's young?

I see most people applauding Tennessee's move to bring on Decker, as he's experienced, fairly cheap, and will help a young QB and WR room.
    I agree with that logic, which is exactly the same reasons the Jets should have kept him.

When you surround your young, inexperienced QB with all young, inexperienced, and marginally talented players, you have a recipe to double down on mistakes.
    It's also a recipe which hinders the QB's growth imo.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The average age for the Titans offensive line is 24 years of age:

Taylor Lewan (24) -Quinton Spain (24) - Ben Jones (26) - Chance Warmack (24) - Jack Conklin (21). The two tackles are extremely good and it allows them to be a top 2 unit in the league. You got Corey Davis whom they drafted last year, I think he was the best receiver in the draft. Also, the back-up RB whose name keeps leaving me. Decker and Murray are the "elder statesmen" of that team and provides great experience for Mariota to take that next step.

I wish Decker specifically stayed because he's very good in the RZ, solid hands. Hopefully the youngsters step up, but not exactly the best situation to be in.