Why the jets won't be worse then last year - a realistic view

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 15, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I can see why you think it would be good news, but I have to disagree. If Hack IS the answer, I might agree, but if he - or Petty - isn't, and they have to draft their FQB, winning 5-7 games would put them well out of pick range probably. As for trading up, given the huge value teams place on top QB prospects, it would take them a king's ransom to move up, if they even could - some teams might just sit on the pick and not consider any price. This would be the worst case scenario IMO.

Yes, IF the Jets won 5-7 games, and Hack/Petty looked like the future FQB, and everyone played hard, and the young guys all pan out, well I would definitely be okay with that, who wouldn't? But that's a LOT of "ifs" that have to become reality.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

5-7 wins is the disaster scenario for me but would you class this highly unlikely 0-16 season a disaster if Hack showed promise as we lost 21-14 every game ?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Hack needs to show more than promise to convince the jets from drafting a QB next year. I think even if hack lays an egg our running game and defence will earn us at least a couple wins. I'm not to concerned if we end up picking in the 3rd to 6th spot even...there are alot of good QBs and not every team will be going for a QB that ends up with a worse record than us. Yea it might not be Darnold but really his value is being blown a little out of proportion. Let's see what he's doing 1/2 through the college season. On top of that he might not even declare so I don't even want to concern myself if he can be the Savior as it might not even matter.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These two kids have wanted to play alongside of one another for years now, and I'm one NYJ fan who's patiently waiting to see these two SEC prospects as teammates in Green & White.

These two kids on the back end have the overall talent & potential to rejuvenate and revamp our seconday with new blood and new life.

Outside of Wilkerson and Richardson having much needed (and expected) bounce back seasons, I believe that the biggest difference (and defensive improvement) will be on the back end with our two Rookie SEC Safeties out of LSU & Florida in Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye in replace of an aging Gilchrist and a bust in Pryor.

5. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I know there will be growing pains but I think some are underestimating the youth of the defence and how they will have a passion that was severely lacking last year. If they can channel some of that into the offence it will be great to see. I guess what I'm saying as well I think we will have an identity on defence... finally.
    On the flipside depending on how the morale floats in the locker room with alot of losses coming our way it may be alot to overcome.
    I am confident with the young leaders we have like Adams and Williams and maybe Wilkerson will pull his head out of his ass we could have some bright spots this year...maybe.

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

This defense without question has top 5 potential.

It all starts up front with Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams. If both of Mo & Sheldon have bounce back seasons and Leo continues his progression as an animal, then our Defensive Line will lead the way for a potentially nasty unit.

Rookie mistakes will happen but I'm already anxious to see our two SEC Safeties out of LSU & Florida in Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye on the back end.

And some fans seem to forget that as a raw rookie not only did Darron Lee rank 7th amongst all rookie DE's, DT's/NT's, OLB's, MLB's, CB's and Safeties in tackles but also led the Jets defense in tackles before getting dinged up last year. I'm excited to see him as a 2nd year player behind a (hopefully) much improved D-Line. This kid combined for 70 tackles throughout only 13 games (9 starts) as a rookie and without question has the overall speed, quickness and athletic abilities to develop into a 100+ tackles per season type of MLB.

Another former SEC and LSU product on defense is Morris Claiborne who's still only 27 years of age as a former 6th overall draft pick. I'll have to see it in order to believe it but him staying healthy would then give our defense an instant upgrade over Revis as our #1 CB due to Revis falling off an NFL cliff as a shell of what he once was. His health status will be key.

The only real doubt i have about our 2017 defense outside of Claiborne's inability to stay healthy is our outside pass rush. I'm still not sold on either of Mauldin or Jenkins in that regard, although I am hopeful that a top 3 All-Time great NFL pass rusher in Kevin Greene can at least tap into their untapped potential. That would be pretty big for our defense.

CB #2 is also a big question mark but i just feel that a dynamic outside pass rush is what's holding our defense back as a whole from being a dominant force but nonetheless i see top 5 defensive potential on this side of the ball.

nicg4360 likes this.
  7. Devinthedude

Devinthedude Member

I disgree with almost every point you tried to make. How can the tes not be better in comparrison to the trash from last seasin? Mccown isnt going to start for more than a couple games if at all and hack has looked really good in mini camp so far. Mangold was not even close to the best ol last seasin. Winters, shell, johnson, carpenter all rated much higher than him. The young ol gets better with time also.

nicg4360 likes this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Speaking of our O-Line it still bothers me that we failed to reach the SB back in 2009 and 2010. It's not often that an offense features both a Franchise LT & an All-Pro Center; while both still being in their prime years.

We truly had a "Brick of Gold" in D'Brickishaw & Mangold but come last offaeason with Ferguson and this offseason with Mangold, and these two players were both aging as shells of what they once were.

It's sad to say but the time has came and gone and now it's time to move on with our O-Line.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I either wanna lose enough to get a top 2 pick OR miss out on a top 2 pick by playing Hackenberg or Petty, preferably Hack.

If we win 4 games with McCown and pick 5th and have to mortgage the future to go get a QB then man.

But if Hack wins us 4 games and plays well overall then continue to develop him and build what we're building.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  10. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I agree with your assessment. Also "gutting" a team is usually the label when you remove essential players. The players removed IMO, were no longer essential players. Decker was the closest to being essential but was coming back from two surgeries and part of a deep unit. I think the Jets saw enough in OTA's to make the call and If Decker has a subpar season, the decision will look even better. TN, I think was also not convinced as he was signed on a 1 year prove it deal and is again part of another WR filled Team. TN makes sense for him and his wife though .. wish him luck.

Overall, I see a good start to a rebuild. It's going to be sink or swim. Experience will be gained by many young swimmers that will contribute to this team for years to come. Others will sink and will either see competition for their position, making them a backup next year or will be straight up replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Pags2112

Exactly .. Forte is loving this offense just on that fact alone. I will also be very pleased if Elijah McGuire has a strong camp as he caught the ball well in college. Having McGuire spell the two of them a handful of snaps a game will help in the long run.

12. Pags2112

You brought up some of the points I was going to make.

Everyone has to remember that almost all WR's don't immediately start as 1's or 2's and take a few years to develop. Then they are given the opportunity to prove what they can be .. let's take Decker and Marshall for instance.

Decker 3rd rounder ..

Year---Team---G---Rec---Yds---TD
    2010---DEN---14---06---106---01
    2011---DEN---16---44---612---08

Marshall 4th rounder ..
    Year---Team---G---Rec---Yds---TD
    2006---DEN---15 ---20---309---02
    2007---DEN---16---102---1325---07

Enunwa had a damn good year and deserves a shot to demonstrate how far he can go. If his numbers continue on the up .. and they should, given the addition of snaps to be received, he can easily be 80Rec--1,200Yds--10TD. Anderson also showed he can play against starting corners and compliments Enunwa. Peakes numbers as a rookie were just as good as Decker and Marshall .. big year for him to prove his worth to the team. Enter Stewart and Hanson who will get snaps and also fit in well within the group as well as the offense. These two I think will have good rookie years. Their play will be as important as any of the Jets WR's.

Stats will vary on QB play but the WR's can still be evaluated regardless. This upcoming year will give our young WR's the reps and snaps they need to blossom.

#72 Pags2112, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Edit: Double Post.

Pags2112 likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

I was simply comparing 2016's schedule to that of 2017's interms of coming into the season, and 2017's seems (on paper) as being not as difficult. But yet still pretty tough.

But to answer your question I'm not actually looking to create any outlandish or bold types of record predictions for 2017, because from a fans eye view I'm taking a different approach during this youth movement. It's not about wins and loses in my honest opinion but more so rather player evaluation for the near future moving foward.

I will say that despite all of the ugly last season including the worst QB perormance from any starting QB in Fitz last year N.Y still managed to pull off 5 wins while 4 of our loses were by 5 points or fewer by a combined 13 points (football is a game of inches at times).

I'll also say that I'm currently seeing it in MLB baseball with both my TB Rays and the N.Y Yankees. You should never underestimate what a bunch of young, hungry and scrappy kids can do on the field (together) when opportunity presents itself.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

For a moment, I thought you were RobA logging in under a different user name..

16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with this post. I think we will be better than last year but I think we will be lucky to win 5 games. I'm thinking 3 at most. Defensively we will be better but with all the young guys and rookies they'll break more than they bend. The offense still better will still be bad. Mcknown for the 5 or 6 games he starts will have 3 tds and 5 picks, and Hackenberg for the 10 games he plays he will have 10 tds and at least 15 picks. Turnover wise this team will be up of 30. The defense can't sustain that and time of possession.

This year isn't about w's. It'll be evaluated for the development of the young players. Does Hackenberg develop, the tight ends, receivers, Shell, linebackers, corners, safeties etc. If they do it'll be a good season. Anymore than three wins will be an accomplishment.

Yes this team is better on paper but inexperience and lack of offensive fire power will hurt. If the team grows and matures in a few years they'll be good if we ever find a qb.

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think Jets will be about the same record wise, but will show much more promise and drive.

And ultimately I think that's what fans should really look for this season. 2017 is not about winning a ton of games or making the playoffs, its about evaluating talent, understand whether Hack or Petty are the future. If the Jets come away with an answer as to whether Hack or Petty are the future then its a win in my book.

If they are, great, if not, then we will be in prime position to pick a QB early.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nice post Solid you put some thought into it. Let me give you cliff notes version of why we will be worst. His name is Bowles...the end.

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The schedule will be brutal too. Expecting all these replacements to step up is wishful thinking like you said. The rose color glasses comment is spot on. The Jets don't get that lucky like other teams. Dark clouds hover above this team. If Hackenberg was even Pee Wee league capable we could have seen what he was about last year. Horrible QB play all year and he never saw the field.

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

if, we may have one already, are you ready to let the lad have a few plays first before scratching him from our future ?