Why the jets won't be worse then last year - a realistic view

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 15, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Can't get any worse then last season. Vets played awful. Rather be meh with young talent as they continue to grow then be meh with vets that are taking up too much of the cap.

2. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Marshall started and played in 15 games. Not quite sure how much he was out. Even when he was out there at 1/2 speed, his mere presence brought double teams against most secondaries. That is something that is going to be sorely missed this year and won't be noticeable until the games begin.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It may be "pocket presence" but the QBs are paid to stand in there and make the throw even knowing they're gonna get hit. You can't have the QB flinching, running, or hitting the deck every time he feels pressure.

ColoradoContrails and Peebag like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is my thoughts exactly, but the young guns need to contribute and continue to grow in 2017. As long as they do, especially Hackenberg, I will be happy.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

I don't understand what you mean by Petty is a known quantity. What exactly do we know about Petty,? That he can get knocked out by two DE's?

6. NCJetsfan

I think this year is an unknown, but I'm not expecting much. While I do expect a number of the young players to grow, develop and prove they belong, there will be a learning curve and mistakes made. They could surprise and do better than last year, but honestly, I'm expecting worse.

I do think several units mentioned can possibly be better, but it all depends on the play of the OL and QB positions. I think there's no doubt that the TE position will be better than last year. Those guys couldn't catch or block. ASJ showed a little last year, but he struggled with injuries and was out of shape. He's now in great shape, has stopped drinking, and is committed to being the best he can be. He has a ton of talent. So does Leggett. While Leggett may have some issues with being lazy and not blocking as well as he can, I didn't ever see them in the Clemson games I saw. I saw a competitor who rose to the challenge. Both would have to suck to be worse than last year's TEs.

With the WRs, yes we had proven guys with talent, but Marshall dogged it and was a problem in the locker room. He needed to go. I would have preferred keeping Decker, but there was risk with his being able to return to pre-surgery form and stay healthy. This is the year to find out about the young WRs. There's a lot of talent/potential there. There's no one to stand in their way. They have a great WR position coach and the OC has helped develop WRs. The only reason this group shouldn't do very well is again, the play of the OL and QB.

I don't want McCown to start at all, but I'm almost certain he will start the season. I'm holding out hope that Hack will come to TC slinging it and will win the job. I have a little less hope for Petty, but I'm hoping that he too can play well enough in TC and preseason to supplant McCown on the depth chart.

I think the D will be better. For one thing, there's Adams. We've already seen flashes, glimpses of what he can do. If he can stay healthy, the sky's the limit. He could definitely be a huge factor for us, and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins DROY. In fact, I'm kind of expecting it. I think Lee will show improvement. I think Greene will have a good impact on the pass rush. I think that Mo is motivated and ready to shut Jets fans up who thought he dogged it last year. If Burris can continue to improve and develop, our D can potentially be very good.

I'll still be surprised if the team wins more than 2 games. I hope the young players develop (especially Hack and Petty), play extremely well, are in every game, but lose them all except 1 or 2.

Pags2112 likes this.
  7. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Oh come on. That is so not the case. We are talking about Suh who was lined up as a DE and Wake unblocked running full tilt at Petty. That isn't pressure, that is a sure trip to the hospital. and the reason they came free is because the C snapped the ball early and both tackles were still standing there with there hand on the ground when they drove by. Petty should have known he had to protect himself in that situation.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I can't believe you're criticizing a player for putting the team first and giving his all trying to lead the team to victory. Yeah, a selfish player would definitely have gone into self-preservation mode. Thank God that isn't the type of player that Petty is.

Brook!, TwoHeadedMonster and nicg4360 like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

He didn't attract much attention. teams caught on that he wasn't himself pretty quickly. he clearly wasn't healthy and he had little to no effort on a lot of plays out there. he was more of a liability. especially with fitz trying to force him the ball. the fitz/marshall bromance cost us a ton of INTs last year

10. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

The glass isn't half full, or half empty.

It's twice as big as it needs to be.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Was referring to the other guy.. :) Poorly worded I agree.

K'OB likes this.
  12. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Yeah, great decision. Should I eat it on one play and play the rest of the season or make this one play and sit in the trainers room the rest of the season. Decisions, decisions.

13. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Yeah, great decision. Should I eat it on one play and play the rest of the season or make this one play and sit in the trainers room the rest of the season. Decisions, decisions.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You're forgetting that Osweiler had better teammates than Fitz.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily agree with the OP, that the team has improved in the rosy ways he outlined, but they aren't awful either, especially on "D". Last year's defense wasn't good, but even with a porous secondary they still ranked 11th, and they probably improved significantly with the addition of the two Safeties, and the subtraction of Revis. If they can improve upon the 26th ranked offense - which by getting rid of Gailey and Fitzpatrick almost seems like a lock - they might well win at least as many games as they did last year, and possibly one or two more. But that's the BAD news. Unless Hack or Petty become their FQB - very unlikely - they're going to need a top 3 draft pick to have a decent shot at finding one. They also need major improvement on the OL and pass rushing, all of which are premium picks, and which might not be available to them picking in the #5-10 slot. Anyone who is banking on them "tanking" isn't being realistic. No one wants to root for them to lose, but by "winning", they're actually going to be losing.

NCJetsfan and nicg4360 like this.
  16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I could not care less. Production wise Fitzpatrick was horrid and overall the worst starting QB of 2016. Brock was really shitty too.

17. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

When you have to give a pick away to get rid of a guy that's pretty bad lol...but Fitz was absolutely horrible as well.

18. NCJetsfan

Yeah, like he knew that he was gonna suffer a season-ending injury. You need to get a clue.

Cman68 and Ralebird like this.
  19. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

No, he didn't. That is his problem.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If the Jets do play as well as you say, (5-7 wins) that would mean they have put some pieces together. GOOD news to me. With plenty of Cap space headed into 2018 they could make some moves in Free Agency, then move up from say Pick 7-15 into the Top 3 to get a QB if Hackenberg doesn't seem to be the answer. Obviously, I would prefer Hackenberg to be the answer though. Things might not be quite as bad as fans think. However, on the other hand, if the fans are right and this is an (0-16) team, then I think they have a disaster on their hands and will take many years to fix.