Why the jets won't be worse then last year - a realistic view

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 15, 2017.

1. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

If that's a realistic take then I'd have to guess that the optimistic version has us going 17-0!

Of course the QB situation can be worse: McCown starts, gets injured; Hack comes in and can't cope, reverting to final year at Penn mode; Petty replaces him and doesn't shown any improvement from what we saw last year. That's just as possible as any of the other scenarios outlined in the OP.

What if Anderson gets suspended, or Quincy injured like Decker was? How's our receiving corps looking then? For each of the position groups identified there's an equally probable negative outcome that's just as likely. The truth will be somewhere in between.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  2. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Your completely right injuries to certain players could derail any chances to a win or 2. We lack quality depth pretty much everywhere except maybe safety lol. We had a lot of help in 15 because we were able to keep most key players on the field.

If we stayed for the most part healthy we could maybe win 2 games or so and our defence may get us 2 or so nailbiter wins. So in the end 5 is realistic to me. But honestly when has a roster stayed 90-100% healthy. It's not often and that will put us down to what more people think being 2-3 wins.

3. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

That is insane to think Petty had anything to do with getting jacked on that play. He did not even have time to kneel and kill the play. If Brady had been hit like that the opposing defenders would likely have been fined and suspended.

And a side note he was also able to complete a fantastic pass on the same play.

hwismer and K'OB like this.
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I can understand how people WANT to be optimistic ,,,,,,I can understand how they WANT to say "it cant be worse than last year " but I am sorry I just dont see it . First off guys want to say the QB play " will be better " but we dont even know who the qb is ? The offense is learning an entirely new system with new players at almost every position, especially the offensive line ------> sorry I just dont see it . Do you think Quincy or Robbie Anderson are capable of facing opposing def best Corner ? I just dont see it
    As for our def , I never believed in our LBs and still dont ,total question mark . The Best LB on the team was declining and just got released , the kids showed me little last year . Secondary brand new and the Def line will have to show me lots because in my eyes Mo played like a dog last year ,and I still dont know if they view sheldon as a LB or Lineman simply amazing . PS the defensive coordinator is the same clueless buddy of our coach as last year, nothing changed except the assistants .
    PSS The Head Coach who has shown me he is in way over his head is still here .
    In closing can things be better than last year ? Yes of course they could .
    Will things be worse than last year ? Most likely it can and will be worse , we aint seen nothing yet !

5. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

I don't agree. Mind you, I am not saying what they did is wrong, this had to be done at some point but the team is worse. Say what you want about Marshall and Decker, when both are on the field, that is a dangerous WR tandem. The TE's are better? Based on what? ASJ has done zero since entering the league and Leggett is a rookie and scouting says he can't block so how is this an upgrade in any sense?
    QB? You actually think a 37 year old McCown, Hack and Petty are better than Fitz? I am not saying by any stretch of the imagination that Fitz deserves to be on the team but he was better than what we have now. And as bad as you might think Mangold was, was our best OL. I totally expect that unit to get whoever is QB killed next season.
    I agree with you on defense. Nongreat loss there. Probably should get rid of more players on that side

6. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

That is my point. Petty stood in there, passed the ball and took a massive hit. What he should have done when he saw both ends come free is go to the ground and protect himself. That is pocket presence.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  7. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Ok, so he had time to look down field find a receiver, and make as you say a fantastic pass but did not have time to recognize two defenders coming at him unblocked and get on the ground to avoid the hit?

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I understood what you meant by pocket presence but I just felt the ol gave him that little time on that play to have hit the deck, besides we both know that if he had dropped to the deck and took the sack he would have been called out as a wimp.

#28 K'OB, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  9. K'OB

I was defending petty o_O

10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think Petty showed alot of guts, poise and skill on that one play. I look forward to seeing him make that kind of throw under pressure when the games mean something.

For now, Petty needs to protect himself and stay on the field.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets manage to lose to the Jags and the Browns early on they'll have the leg up on the 1st overall for the whole season.

It can be done, it just requires the courage to see it through to the end.

Darnold might be the prize but the point is that there are several QB's that could be that guy and that's why the 2018 draft is so good.

Brook! and nicg4360 like this.
  12. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

Onl
    Only an idiot would call him a wimp. A wimp is what Cam did on the loose ball in the SB. Going to ground with two of the biggest and fastest DE's in the NFL bearing down on you unblocked is not being a wimp.

13. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

I actually like Rosen a bit better. Plays under center so he doesn't have to be taught that.

Br4d likes this.
  14. K'OB

You know I never called him a wimp right ?

15. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

And I never called you an idiot :)

K'OB likes this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Good post.

Factor in the Vets the Jets lost from 2016:
    1. David Harris
    -He is the biggest loss. Captain of the defense. Still, he can't cover at all and has lost a step.

2. Brandon Marshall
    -Good WR, but a ball hog. Plus never shuts up. Puts pressure on his QB. He won't be missed.

3. Eric Decker
    -Good WR too, but was injured in 2016. Not sure how he will be in 2017.

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick
    -Dog shit. Hackenberg with 1 arm would be an upgrade.

5. Nick Mangold
    -Great Center, but up there in age and coming off a serious injury.

6. Darrelle Revis
    -The defensive version of Fitz. He was terrible last year and won't be missed at all.

7. Nick Folk
    -Solid Kicker, pending on how the new kicker does we will see if it was a bad move.

8. Marcus Gilchrist
    -Decent safety, but nothing special. The New Guys will be better.

Might not be as big of losses as people think. Obviously the young guys need to step up, but the Jets easily could be better in 2017, and in fact should be.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Title does not match the o.p.

18. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't sit here with a straight face and say the WR, OL, ILB or S are better YET. I love the two rookie S's, especially Adams, but they're going to have some growing pains at some point and most of all, can we see them on the field yet?

As for WR, you can't tell me this is a better group. I love Q. I think he can be a solid No.2 WR on a team for many years. But as a No.1? No. Same with Anderson. His ceiling to me is a No.2 and I don't think he's there yet. We will have a lot of issues getting the ball into the hands of these WR's. ASJ will help, when he returns in Week 3, we hope, but I'll take a wait and see approach with him because sometimes, let's face facts, demons come back to rear their ugly heads and he's going to be watched very closely this year.

When it comes to OL, it's again a wait and see approach. Shell played well in his 3 or 4 games, but protection was slid to his side and gave us glaring weaknesses because of it. That can't happen this year. How will he hold up? How will Beachum hold up? He struggled last year in Jacksonville and yes I know this is now 2 years removed from his injury, but again, he's had injury issues in the past and he already has missed some offseason work due to his knee. As for Wesley, he was solid but not spectacular in replacing Nick. We will see how well he does this season as he starts from the get go trying to get his linemates in place, the entire offense in place and how he reads opposing defenses. If he can improve there, he will take another step closer to being a legitimate long-term starting center.

Davis is a downgrade at ILB. Slight, but a downgrade and I'm not a huge Lee fan. Maybe he'll take a second year step and maybe he'll have a sophomore slump, again, wait and see mode.

Bottom line, this team could be as good or better than last year's team, but a lot of things will have to work in their favor in order to do so. Also, the schedule after Week 5 is brutal and at the end of the day, it all comes down to your QB play. The defense will keep us in 8-10 games alone, but can the QB, whoever he is, rise above and make plays with what's around him? Big question mark, no matter who the guy is. There will also be games where our doors are blown off and we should be prepared for that.

Lastly, unless a long-term answer at QB emerges in Hackenberg or Petty, I don't want to be better than last season. The last thing we need is another fake 8-8 season like 2013. We need a real answer at QB. If it's Hack or Petty, great, win as much as possible. If it's McCown, we are just doing what we always do. Signing a veteran to win just enough games to keep us semi-competitive into December, but ultimately hurting the long-term status of the organization.

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Because petty is a known quantity so same as last year. fitz was missing open WRs all day and throwing into triple coverage as well. fitz cost us so many TDs on under thrown, overthrown balls on wide open WRs last season. he was just garbage. Josh has never played that poorly in his career. Even if hack is as bad as fitz, it still won't be worse.

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Lets look at this this. 3 times during the season the jets scored 30 points or more.

game 2 Vs Buff
    Fitz threw over 300 yards. decker and marshall had voer 100 each. enunway had over 90 and forte had over 100 and ran for 3 TDs. expectations were high we got back to 1-1

Then we went 4 games without breaking 20 points losing all 4 before winning 24-16 against balt

Game 8 vs cle
    at this point decker was on IR anyway. enunwa led with 93 yards and a TD. marhsall had 4 catches for 68 yards 0 TDs Powell and forte combined for 3TDs and over 150 rushing yards (powell 76 yards on 6 carries)

then we went 7 more games without scoring 30 points. until week 17 against buffalo

at this point both decker and marshall were out. as was ASJ like most of the season
    Enunwa led with 81 yards. powell ran for 122 yards. powell and marshall both caught TDs. we got help on special teams with a TD as well

So in all 3 games where we scored 30 it was mostly on the back of powell and forte which we still have both of them. decker didn't play in 2 of the 3 times and marshall didn't play in 1.

For the season the bulk of our offense was the run game. powell and forte combined for over 1500 yards an 10 TDs. they also combined for over 600 revising yards and 3 TDs. so 2100+ tards and 13TDs from the same 2 RBs we have still. marshall and decker barely broke 1000 yards combined and only 5 TDs enunwa and anderson combined for over 1400 yards and and 6TDs in much less time.

Our 4 best offensive players last year were anderson, enunwa, powell, and forte. all are still here. and the o-line improved and we get ASJ back and a couple of rookies