Demario Davis takes $2.7 million pay cut

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hwismer, Jun 14, 2017.

1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I will be even happier that he's making less money....

I expect that to be the universal response. Am I wrong here?

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  2. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

We will definitely have a vault of cash next year, but still don't anticipate too many big splash type pick ups. I expect more solid role player types. If a premier corner becomes available, that might be an exception to this rule. Trumaine Johnson or Xavier Rhodes are both young, talented corners that will be FA's. I would need to watch more film to see whether they would fit the press and trail coverage we play though. Some of you might remember when Verner got overpaid to be a press corner, even though he looked a lot better than he was when playing in a zone system.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

I have to admit that by the time I got through the fourth sentence, the first person that came to mind was Alterraun Verner.

Excellent post, and I 100% agree. Depending on how our LB corps comes together this year, we may have to add a veteran to that unit--but hopefully that won't be necessary.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Good post, first time I agree with you.
    Mac doesn't strike as a big splashy spending guy. Exceptions would be when he is told to do so (i.e. he first got in) and when team is close to something big.
    I don't think either scenario is true this year, so I believe you're right & next OS spending will be very measured.

That said, there is one intriguing scenario.

----------
    2018 is potential out for Brees. He'll be 39 and will carry $28M in cap hit. Saints might let him go.

Now... imagine 2-year rental of Brees into a loaded young hungry Jets team :rolleyes:
    Now add to this a possibility of tailgating Sean Payton after Brees :rolleyes:

Just saying ;)

5. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Would definitely present an interesting scenario. If we pick up a young stud QB in the draft, the thought of having one of the best leaders in the entire NFL mentoring is pretty enticing. It takes some of the pressure of "immediate franchise savior" off a young QB having that type of structure and eases him into that role. Big additions like this can be done with the big picture in mind, other teams have made it work for them through the years. My hope is if Jimmy G becomes available, we don't give him a trunk of cash to come here, IMO that is not the answer. Just my opinion though....

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Yep, thought about this angle too, just didn't want to make my post too long :)

7. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

10 years ago, I'd be all in for that. I don't know what a 39 year old Brees has that would help us do anything, other than draft in the low teens.

hwismer, Walt White and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We have a little over $22 million, $4 million goes to Adams so we currently have around$18 million in cap space.

9. TonyFtLaud

Brick WAS a better player then Beachum a few years ago but his play had declined and now 2 years later he would have been even worse. You can't live in the past.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the person I was responding to brought up ferguson.. aka. "'living in the past" by suggesting the reason he isn't here is because he refused to restructure like Davis. I was just reminding him that Ferguson restructured numerous times and that the standoff resulted in a BIG jets loss.

I know full well that after a year of sitting on the couch Ferguson would likely not be the same player he was though. Sadly he could probably dust off the cheetos and still be better than Beachum. Not that I think Ferguson would be good, its that I think Beachum is THAT bad

11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You're evaluating Brees with vision of broken Saints team. If this was DEN, would he really be worse than Payton?

I'm telling you.. put Brees on NYJ with stout D, good WRs, solid RB and rented OL & Jets are talking trip to SB.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A restructure is very different from a pay cut. When players restructure to help the team, they almost always wind up getting more money out of the deal.

At this stage of their respective careers, Ferguson is NOT a far better player than Beachum. That's absurd. Ferguson was done and played pretty poorly his last 2 seasons. Beachum had one bad season, last season, following a major injury and surgery. It takes a year or so to recover from that. At their respective peaks, Beachum may not have been as good as Brick, but he certainly is now.

13. BrowningNagle

I don't think so RuJ. Brees always had some issues in poor weather. At 39 or whatever his age is, he aint going to get any better at slinging it through the windy meadowlands. N.O. is the best place for him.

14. TonyFtLaud

Here we go... Open up a 1-2 year window, then drop back to 8-8 , 5-11.
    D’Brickashaw Ferguson ranked 62nd of 76 OTs in 2015 Beachum 22.
    Again Brick was better years ago but his play dropped significantly his past few years and was going to continue to drop. He would be bottom 5 at best if still here. Beachum, in his second year off knee surgery has the potential to be a top ten LT.

15. BrowningNagle

Beachum is not going to be a top 10 LT ever. The 2015 ranking is when he played in Pittsburgh and benefitted from their no-huddle offense with Big Ben. He is not a good pass blocker. If he's even healthy all 16 games this year he's going to be a weakness we will talk about all season. Both tackles are terrible. Maccagnan has taken a below average OL and made it worse

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yeah that is what I meant lol it seemed you meant his quality is less than Harris and we would be sorry but I just meant it was good to see him want to be a jet so much he took a huge pay cut to be one, Harris by contrast obviously didn't want to remain one at any cost to his salary, even after being well played for 10 years and I doubt money would be an issue to him at this stage of his career. He could have taken a cut and taken the pleasure in training up his replacement done well and took his first journey on to being a coach

Red Menace likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

He was ranked 8th in 2014. Even if he plays poorly, it's still an improvement over what Brick would be giving us.

18. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

If the Saints thought he had another run in him, they wouldn't have "broken" the team. He was a great QB, he could probably win us a bunch of games, but that's about it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Maybe you're right. Likely so, but this would be intriguing.

20. TwoHeadedMonster

I think Beachum was the correct signing considering who was available. However, I still expect him to be below average at best. I know a lot of folks are okay with the O-line the Jets are going to field this season, but I am very much of the opinion that it will be a strong contender for worst in the league.

Still, I'd take signing a Kelvin Beachum signing over a Demario Davis signing any day of the week....

BrowningNagle likes this.