Demario Davis takes $2.7 million pay cut

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hwismer, Jun 14, 2017.

1. hwismer

hwismer Active Member

Rich Cimini ESPN
    Davis, due to make a non-guaranteed $3.7 million in the final year of his contract, will now make $1 million in 2017, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Field Yates. That includes a $100,000 signing bonus and a $900,000 base salary. He also can earn $1.225 million in incentives. He re-worked his deal at the time of the trade, per Yates.

The Jets re-acquired Davis in a rare player-for-player trade, as they sent disappointing safety Calvin Pryor to the Cleveland Browns. At the time, Davis' salary appeared prohibitive because he was projected as a backup. But things changed a few days later when the Jets released longtime middle linebacker David Harris.

Davis is the leading candidate to replace Harris in the lineup. The team insisted that Davis' return had no bearing on the decision to cut Harris, but it certainly worked out nicely from a financial standpoint, didn't it? Owner Woody Johnson cleared Harris' salary ($6.5 million) from the books, and now has a middle linebacker making only $1 million.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...ts-lb-demario-davis-takes-2-7-million-pay-cut

tiger8mush likes this.
  2. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Davis is hungry to secede. He wants to get a sack on Brady and strip the ball to mount at his home. He will get the chance to play. ere's hoping that he can get more then Brady in his sights. Love his drive and enthusium.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Fair play to him then, he obviously wanted to be a jet again, for those against the Harris release then maybe if he was as generous with his price negotiations he would still be in a green uniform next season.

Royal Tee, NYJalltheway, ajax and 7 others like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly.

Same goes for D'Brickishaw Ferguson during last years offseason. Too much pride to take a pay cut (for the better of the team) so instead; he retired.

We as fans may fall in love with some of our longtime players and All-Time Jets but that's not the job of a new G.M.

Maccagnan's job is not to over pay players when these players are aging and no longer worth their contracts. Either agree to a pay cut for the better of our team, or, find another team.

You either restructure your contract for the better of your team or you get left behind in order to start our future earlier.

It's really as simple as that from Maccagnan's stand point.

5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't know he was a damned secesh.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

We must be going into next season with $50 million in carry over cash...damn.

7. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

good post. it's really the same train of thought I've had about this. I felt this should have been done last year

8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I love it. and hopefully guys like Leonard Williams and Adams will turn into the type of young leaders that some free agents will believe in and want to play with.

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Yep. How many time have people moaned on here about us cutting players a year too late, about over paying vets, about not being ruthless enough when players aren't performing to their contract? As soon as we do it, they moan about that too!

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We will see how guys feel about this when Demario takes another bad angle and the RB blows by him for 5 or 6 yards on a crucial 3rd down conversion.

He is not a better tackler than Harris and the jets will get what they pay for in Demario Davis.

I'm not saying Harris should have been kept on the roster, but I don't believe Demario is the answer. I hope the younger guys can step up this year to make up for Harris loss.

TwoHeadedMonster and westiedog1 like this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the free agent magnet necessary for todays selfish player is the QB - and we don't have one yet.

Cman68 and JetLifeLo like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

With all due respect,the free agent magnet is the one thing we will have plenty of next year..........$$$

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yes $$$ helps. LOL

FJF likes this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Not sure why you quoted my post and followed it with your post,whilst there is nothing wrong with what you say it doesn't seem to have any connection to my post tbh.

15. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I was concerned when I saw what Davis was due to make after the trade. In the end it was a savvy move by Mac. I like having a cheap vet in the LB corp (even if it is DD he's better than nothing) he might be just what Lee needs to serve as a mentor. Some of the best teachers I've ever had in athletics were only fair themselves.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think the bottom line is that a lot of us just like to kvetch. If there's not something readily available to kvetch about, we'll make something up or find some minute detail to kvetch about.

17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Disrespect to a hard working vet, one of the Jets' great :mad:

Macc needs to speak out.... Right?

FJF likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Whether they were being honest or not is a different matter, but the Jets said that getting Davis had nothing to do with releasing Harris. I think if Harris would have accepted a pay cut and been willing to negotiate, he would still be here. Whether Davis stayed would have depended upon how he performed in mini-camp and TC and how the young LBs look during that time.

Now that Harris is gone, however, I expect Davis to stick. Supposedly he has learned and grown during his time in Cleveland. He had slightly better stats last season than in his last season with the Jets. I think the Jets just wanted to upgrade their speed on D. Players can learn to tackle better and hopefully, to take better angles. It remains to be seen whether Davis has or will, but we have to hope that he has or will. If not, he won't be back next season, the Jets will have gotten rid of a bad egg in Pryor and they gained some cap space.

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'm not calling you out, but I read your post and I thought you were implying that Demario wanted to be a jet again hence his agreement to take a pay cut.

Sorry if I misread your post.

K'OB likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

d'brickashaw ferguson restructured multiple times in his career here. His retirement has left the LT position a major hole.

The $8 million that Kelvin Beachum will make this year, exceeds the amount maccagnan wasnt gong to pay ferguson. and ferguson is a far better player than beachum

#20 BrowningNagle, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.