Where is Mac? He has to say something,... Right?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, Jun 6, 2017.

1. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

The only thing it changes is we charge a ransom for the top rated 2018 QB instead of drafting him.

2. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

No one is saying outcast the guy, I agree he's done decent work. Though how effective is yet to be seen. At the time of the original posting Mac hadn't said a word and left Bowles out to dry in front of the media. I don't like the way the move was handled but the point of the topic originally was that he should come out and make himself available for questions about his recent transactions and the reasoning behind them.

It's unfortunate that he really didn't have any good answers as far as the timing goes. But he did eventually make himself available.

You can't sit here and tell me that releasing harris 5 months ago wouldn't have been the better move. I understand it's a business but running a business is also about how your perceived by your peers and customers/consumers.

Making the Jets organization look heartless and/or clueless about how to treat a veteran player that has literally given everything to this team over the past 10 years isn't a good look....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Let's take it one by one....

Why Mac has to say anything to the media? (And please, let's not get into "fans has the right to know" bullshit)
    I can give at least 3 arguments why it's a good idea to keep quite.
    - Media is hostile and will try to spin it in a way of "He promised a,b,c,..." Keep quite = not promising
    - If Mac admits or even implies tanking, the NFL might come down with sanctions
    - If Mac says nothing substantial, what was the point of talking in the first place?

No, it's not unfortunate. And if you need to be told what's going on, if you truly can't see on your own, than you just refuse to see the obvious.
    Oh.. and now that he did make himself available, do you feel better? Did it change anything?

Releasing Harris earlier is not better, nor worth. Now.. I'm talking from perspective of Jets. And from NYJ's perspective releasing earlier gains nothing. Like I said, maybe they wanted to see if there is someone in TC who can be semi-useful. Once they saw a warm body, they released Harris. If they didn't see, maybe he'd stayed for another year.

It's NEVER a good look as far as media and fans are concerned. There will ALWAYS be media, most of them actually, who will make Jets look bad. Unwarranted or not.
    So if you're gonna end up being presented as shit, you might as well do what you think is right. Regardless of how someone will spin it.

4. Ajitator

Angry poster is angry.. And while you have a very negative view of how things are, you're not wrong. Beat writers for major outlets have proven time and again that clicks are worth more than stories... If you're still clicking the stories you're part of the problem... Just look away man. You're not missing much.

Back on point... Let me get this 100% clear, Mac owes me/us nothing.

Mac owed it to Harris to not have fans find out about his release from a third party source. Mac owed it to the Jets PLAYERS to not rip their captain out from under them after practices have already started. Mac owed it to HARRIS to not have him find out about this after being out on the field with his family of teammates.

Our most respected vet in the locker room just got his pick slip unexpectedly after a practice with his team. Spin it however you want angry poster but that's bush league shit.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Actually, anything owed to Harris by the nyj organization and mac will be deposited into an account electronically. Anything else is a courtesy.

TonyFtLaud, Cman68 and Peebag like this.
  6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Hopefully hes the real deal and we lose every game by a couple points. Then we trade the number 1 for a shit ton of picks

7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

LOL... and you're challenging my reading comprehension?? seriously?

I'm ECSTATIC at what's happening. I LOVE cutting off the $$-sucking leeches, shitting on mehtas, and ignoring psychopathic fans.
    I LOVE EVERY FUCKING SECOND OF IT!!!

Back to the topic.

Mac owes you (the fan!!) NOTHING.
    Mac owed Jets players (including Harris) only what is in their contract, NOTHING more.

You, bleeding heart, can spin it however you want, but your understanding of NFL in particular and likely business in general is at a middle-school level (I'm being generous here)

8. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I never got a kiss on the cheek when I was fired....

TonyFtLaud, KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You need to make a thread about it and demand your former boss to apologize and acknowledge your undying greatness.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  10. Ajitator

</ignored>, You're definitely one of those psychopathic fans.

11. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Perfect!!
    I forgot to mention that I also love the sweet taste of ignore in the morning :)

FJF likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is the ginger beard and cap that does it I'm afraid, sorry :)

13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It really doesn't change much. We will still be rebuilding. What it will do is allow Mac to trade that top pick for a plethora of picks and fill some extra holes. That window mindset has to change. We have been playing that same game for too long. Finally doing the right thing here. This roster had to be blown up and rebuilt through the draft. Even if Hack shows he's a FQB, can't abandon the plan , go crazy signing FAs to win now. There's no sustainably in that

14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Harris was out played in OTAs. There will be camp cuts and long tenured vets released by every team in the league before the season begins. Most will not have the luxury of deciding to take a pay cut to stay.
    With the new roster rules and teams not having to make the first round of cuts from the 90 man roster. There will be even more. Many will have alot more tread on their tires than Harris.

15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

That's true... I hope we wouldn't go 2015 crazy in free agency with the money... next free agency does have a lot of potential younger in-prime talents... I doubt half of them touches the market though. I don't want us signing anyone over the age of 26 at this point. If we can patiently address QB,OL,OLB & CB over the next 2-3 off-seasons i'll be happy with Mac's effort.. how it pans out will be another discussion.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Reading different reactions has been very revealing, albeit not very surprising. Some fans clearly have no class and have zero understanding of the proper way to treat others. It's no wonder our country and the world is in the crappy shape it's in. Treating others with consideration and respect doesn't cost anything, and in the case of the Jets it's a matter of professionalism and that engenders a lot of good will. Everyone wants to be respected and treated as a human being, and not just a number or cog in a machine. It's sad and pathetic that some of you have no understanding or acceptance of that.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The fact of the matter is that both Harris and Decker needed to be released this year. As great a Jet as they were, their contributions to this young and inexperienced team would be marginal in 2017. Harris even more so than Decker and we don't even know if Decker is healthy enough to contribute.
    The real point of discussion is the matter in which it was done and the timing of the release. Facts are still a little obscure as to what really transpired and for how long. Clearly both deserved the outmost consideration and to be told ASAP if they were not in the Jets long term plans. Having said that, we are really not privy to what really transpired. Did negotiations drag on both sides, did they get blind sided with the release? What prevented the decision to occur earlier?
    At the end of the day, this is a business like no other, and in 2 months you will have to cut to the best 52 moving forward, and best for us means the future, not this season.
    I'm hoping they find a place to finish their careers if they choose to continue playing, but their salary unfortunately will be less than what it was with the Jets. All been equal it should have been done in the off season, but at least we didn't find ourselves like many other teams making the move at the end of training camp.

NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Shocker vet cuts at the end of camp will be in short supply for the Jets this year.

Maybe McClendon if they really like what they see out of Simon. Maybe Forte if he looks broken down by the end of camp. It's hard to see any other age/money related cuts at this point. The Jets have already cleaned house and camp is going to be a chance for young guys to show they can play and make the team - which is just what a rebuilding team should be doing in year 1 of a full rebuild.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No argument from me. Although we are probably a year later than desired to start the rebuild. Clearly the biggest question mark that needs to be answered this year is at QB. Do we have a QB with enough potential to be our long term solution or not. Everything else pales by comparison.

Br4d likes this.
  20. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

What's the $$ under the cap now? Close to 50M?