Where is Mac? He has to say something,... Right?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ajitator, Jun 6, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

2016 Bears
    2016 49ers
    2016 Browns
    2013 Texans ---- Their wins were a 23 point comeback and an overtime game at the end of the season.
    2011 Colts

Jets while they don't have a lot on this roster, isn't worst then the teams listed above. Sounds like something a drunk Jim Irsey would say.

2. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Are we so confident that the Jets are better than the Browns this year?

I'm not.

I do not feel like our roster is any better, and have no confidence that they will beat the Browns this upcoming season.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This is exactly what a lot of us were worried about. That would be the lack of foresight and patience for a "true rebuild".
    We weren't going anywhere with Decker & Harris that we havent been since 2010. No need for all the bitching and moaning.
    We all knew 2017 was a eval/throwaway year. Why the surprise over the reality?

#23 Cman68, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    TonyFtLaud, LAJet, K'OB and 5 others like this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The Jaguars say hello as well, Allen Robinson, Bortles?, and who else?

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We can only hope not, why would we want to beat the Browns while hoping to secure the number 1 pick in the draft, I hope to fuck we go 0-16 and give ourselves a whole lot of options in 2018, a franchise QB if required, or the best player in the whole damned draft, or an abundance of picks with astute trading back.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I guess they think it doesn't give us the best chance to win :rolleyes:

#26 K'OB, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
    Cman68 likes this.
  7. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

That's what the lions did, and i believe they drafted Stafford #1

While Stafford has not won a championship, he has been a top 10 qb for the past few years, while passing for over 5,000 yards (at least once)

Just sayin...

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If there's no standout QB, Maccagnan will not hesitate to trade back from #1.

I can't imagine the Jets won't take the standout QB in the draft if they secure the #1 overall pick, though.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

As I said earlier,.. it's the timing of the Harris release.. not the release itself. I'm 100% on board with trying the "right" way to build a team.. But you can't argue that this was horribly handled by Mac.

Harris has some tread left on the tires for a team looking to plug a hole and make a run. The respectful thing to do would have been to inform/release one of the better Jets over the past decade 6 months ago, And let him decide for himself if he wants to retire or try and find another team. At this point his options are going to be limited.

#29 Ajitator, Jun 13, 2017
  10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

changes E V E R Y T H I N G and allows us to exit the rebuild sooner than scheduled and begin opening a window

RuJFan likes this.
  11. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Because reality this year is so depressing.

#31 RobA, Jun 13, 2017
  12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Timing be damned, this is the NFL. Everyone is expendable at any time. It's not about what you've done. It's about what can you do for me now. And if you can't play for the amount of money you are paid, you are gone.

David Harris is good, but he's slow and a liability in coverage. He doesn't deserve the money he wants.

If a player isn't going to be part of next year's full start on the rebuild, they need to be gone.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Get salaries down, tank the season, draft some stud players (not all defense please), stock up on free agency since we'll have cap space, hope for the best.

14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You can't be supporting a rebuild AND at the same time say that the team is making a run. These 2 things are in direct contradiction with one another, like being a little bit pregnant.

Now as to Harris release... He was let go 2 months before season starts, plenty of time for someone else to pick him if they wanted. You don't like optics? Well... you can join Kay, Tank, mehtas, ciminis, and the whole BSPN crew who hates any optics when it concerns Jets.

Releasing Harris is good for the team. Tough titties with the timing

TonyFtLaud, LAJet and Cman68 like this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if your old,slow or make too much doe you must go

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure I'd include the Texans on that list. They were 12-4 the year before and had some talent.

I would take the same results as the Houston Texans going forward with some minor changes. They won their first two games, then lost the rest. They were only outmatched/blown out in 5 of the games, the rest were all close, losing by only a single score and only a single point in several games. Their HC was fired during the season. As a result of that season, in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Texans had the #1 pick and took Jadaveon Clowney (Bortles and Manziel were the first two QBs chosen, Bridgewater went at the end of the 1st. In the 2nd round the Texans took OG Xavier Su'a-Filo. That's where they screwed up. If they had taken Derek Carr instead, they might have won a SB by now. Anyway in 2014 they went 9-7. The only problem with all of that is that they were 12-4 in 2012, so they regressed badly in 2013, but that's not too different a timetable than the Jets 10-6 in 2015 and 5-11 in 2016.

I'd be very happy if the Jets were that competitive this season. I'd be even happier if they wound up with the #1 pick. In that 2014 draft, the Texans got (in order) Clowney, Su'a-Filo, C.J. Fiedorowicz (TE), Louis Nix (NT), Tom Savage (QB), Jeoffrey Pagan (DE), Alfred Blue (RB), Jay Prosch (FB), Andre Hal (CB), and Lonnie Ballentine (FS). They had additional picks, but all are still with the team except Nix and Pagan. Su'a-Filo is their starting LG, Fiedorowicz is their starting TE, Prosch is their starting FB and Savage is their starting QB. On D, Hal is their starting FS. Blue was 3rd string RB. Not too shabby.

Ptflea2 likes this.
  17. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying THIS team was making a run. I was saying a team could use Harris that was making a run. CERTAINLY not us.

Tough titties yourself brother,. I agree it's good for the team. All I'm saying is Harris deserved better. Learn to read.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I mean we were 10-6 the year before we went 5-11. The level of talent obviously not at the same level as the Texans, but man to go 12-4 from 2-14, definitely something went wrong. Schaub was so bad, I think that season he had a streak of pick 6s starting with Seattle. Schaub in a way was our Ryan Fitzpatrick and we had some talented receivers too.

19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You're ready to outcast a GM that does a pretty decent work so far because his timing of releasing one of the vets is not up to your liking?

Harris got paid what he deserved. The roster movements were and always will be to the benefit of the team, not a player. Maybe he came in to OTA a little overweight, maybe one of the new kids showed a promise, maybe they just needed extra $$ that badly... whatever.
    It's a contract-based employee/employer relationship. "deserved" is in the contract, not when he is released.

TonyFtLaud and LAJet like this.
  20. It's a young man's league. A career span for most established players is age 31 if their lucky.As such teams are almost forced to keep their young studs in house keep developing them & hope enough guys step up to contend w. enough years left on their contract to have a window for success.

Teams need to draft well & develop well. It can't all be about name recognition & star power either. Expecting/depending on draft picks to all be plug & play impact players from day 1 is unrealistic. Injury rates are extremely high nowadays. It's a very big surprise if a player makes it 16+ games w.o any type of setback. So if any team wants to make an ascension from their previous power ranking, chances are they are gonna need a few surprises to rise up the depth chart. In other words you have to have a deep pool of young unproven players who are molded into the right mix. The media either completely ignores this fact either b.c they are too dumb to figure it out or choose to ignore b.c it does not fit into their blatant agenda against perceived cupcakes.

When looking at the Jets from this perspective..they really aren't in quite the pickle that they are portrayed. Now is it probable to expect big things from the team? Well given the uncertainty at QB & the rest of the division, of course not. But is it totally unrealistic? If Justin Burris, Brandon Shell, Darron Lee,Arenlius Stewart & Jamal Adams ascend as solid starters and/or impact players are the jets gonna be even close to the worst team in the league? Bottom 3rd maybe..but the absolute worst? Of course not. If 2-3 more youngsters join the aforementioned list could the team's expectations drastically change? I venture to say yes.

The team's history suggests this will not happen.History also says that the QB issue will be the ultimate catalyst. But it doesn't take a genius prognosticator to see that although far from a sure thing...the Jets do have some necessary ingredients to prove alot of people wrong. Perhaps "Rebuild" is the wrong word. They're rebuilding in the sense that if things go horribly wrong they're picking a QB top 3 next season. But otherwise this is a "Retooling"..while the team has holes, if young players step up thy're gonna win more games than expected.

Negativity sells. Somewhere down the line the media decided any question mark surrounding the jets must be spun as certain death.

#40 KurtTheJetsFan, Jun 13, 2017