Jets Head Coach: Chuck Pagano?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, Jun 11, 2017.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Bowles still has this season to prove himself and it shouldn't be measured in W's & L's. This should be his final chance if he shows anything but progression.

But Pagano would be a terrible choice. My short list would go like this:

1) - Jon Gruden
    2) - Josh McDaniels
    3) - Urban Meyer
    4) - Scott Linehan

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't understand that play at all. Unless the ball was never supposed to be snapped, and was just an attempt to draw the D offsides, that play never had a chance. If the QB or person taking the snap was back in shotgun position then it might have had a chance. He could have quickly turned and fired it over the the RB/receiver standing behind the OL

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Woody isn't the cheapskate I believe is, he ought to spend whatever it takes to lure an established, proven winning HC to come here. AS the saying goes, "Everyone has his price", and there is no cap on HC salaries, so go after somebody who knows how to win. Maybe Sean Peyton, or Bill O'Brien, John Harbaugh, or John Fox? Surely somebody who knows how to win, and wants a new challenge - and would be paid a king's ransom to do so - would be interested. If not, then fold up the team and sell it.

4. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't want John Fox. He's a better HC than Bowles, but (that isn't saying much) isn't that bright, is too conservative and is yet another former DC.

Sean Payton, yes. Bill O'Brien, yes. John Harbaugh, Heck yes! John Fox, no way, José!

BleedingGreen55 likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Last years Super Bowl was coached by two HC's who were former DC's..

There is absolutely nothing wrong with hiring a former DC as a HC (maybe not Pagano tho :))

nyjets20 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I disagree. We've had a long slew of them and that's why our offense has continued to be ignored and is so bad. We need an offensive mind running things for a change.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

You disagree that last year's Super Bowl was coached by former DC's?
    Or that DC's becoming HC's can't win Super Bowls?

obviously that is not an issue for DC's.
    Maybe we just need to find a QB, starting investing in the Oline, etc...while ALSO fielding a good defense.

I'm hoping we get lucky with John Morton at OC, but something about a WCO with inexperienced QB's doesn't sound promising.

8. ColoradoContrails

That's why he's included. Plus, he has been successful, if not measured by number of SBs won. I agree that I much prefer an offense-oriented HC.

9. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Chuck Pagano is a terrible head coach. He's got a half-decent franchise QB and can't do jack shit. I don't know who's really running the personnel show, him or the GM, but at some point, he's gotta grow some balls and do something about the shit tier mess that is there roster. O-line is garbage, no weapons for Luck, etc. If it wasn't for Luck, they'd be sub-.500 every season.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

If we brought in Chuck Pagano to be HC, I think that'd be it for me. I'd be done with the Jets. He's gotta be one of the dumbest HCs in the league.

Ok let's be real, I will keep coming back. But my God, he is trash.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jets will be a desirable landing spot for a HC next year with hopefully the first pick in draft and a boatload of salary cap space. Hoping the Saints have a bad year and Payton is obtainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

I can't confirm, but the ball was never supposed to be snapped. It was such a ridiculous formation, that it just might have worked.

13. NCJetsfan

No, sorry for the confusion. I should have highlighted the part I was referring to (There is absolutely nothing wrong with hiring a former DC as a HC). In general, no there's nothing wrong with it, but in the Jets' case, there is imo, and I'm sick of them.

No, I disagree that in the Jets' case it doesn't matter if the HC was a DC. We've had 6 successive HCs that were former defensive coaches and it isn't exactly working. The offense has basically stagnated and gotten worse over that period. Most of the better draft picks and better FA signings have been defensive players. The focus has been too much on defense and winning with D, and it just isn't working, and probably won't work in today's NFL. Besides it ignores the Jets own history. When the Jets have been at their best, and had their best seasons, their offense could move the ball and score points often in bunches.

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Pagano's teams almost always underachieve. Pass.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

No to Pagano. Retread d coach. Hasn't done anything with a franchise qb. Want nothing to do with him. If we hire a retread he better have a Super Bowl.

If Bowles is let go the Jets need to find two things.

1. An offensive coach. No more d coaches. Too many and d coaches in a row and the o needs work.

2. Lets see how the year plays out. If the Jets develop I can see Bowles being retained. If not if the offense shows any signs I can see Morton as a replacement for Bowles. For Morton to be hired alot has to happen but I could see him as the next Jets HC.

16. NCJetsfan

I agree with all but your second point. I just can't see Morton becoming a HC after one year as a coordinator. It often takes teams a couple of years to really learn and be comfortable in a new offensive system, so one year wouldn't be enough for the team or for Morton. He would probably still have kinks to work out in the way he handles being OC, and then would have to make the leap to HC.

He certainly may have potential as a HC, but I think that next year is premature and pulling the trigger too soon. If Bowles is fired, I'd love to see the Jets hire Sean Payton or a topnotch collegiate HC who has an offensive background. Then if the Jets' offense showed steady improvement this season and some real potential, Payton or that former collegiate HC might opt to keep Morton as OC. I like what I see from Morton so far, his energy, his passion, his drive, but I'm sick of novice HCs with the Jets. Particularly in a complete rebuild-type situation, I think we need an experienced HC who will know all the pitfalls, know how to develop young players and develop a team identity/culture/chemistry, and whom the players will respect.

17. ColoradoContrails

Agree, they need an experienced HC who has won, as the architect of a rebuild. After all, would you hire a novice builder to rebuild your home after a hurricane has flattened it, or somebody who has lots of experience?

18. Pagano wouldn't even be on my list. The jets need a strong willed offensive visionary. Sean Payton, Bill O'brien, Jim Harbaugh...Maybe even in house w. John Morton who has an impressive resume & I've really been impressed w. how he carries himself.

19. NCJetsfan

Agree with all except Morton. People were impressed with how Rex carried himself too. It's way too early to even be thinking about Morton as the Jets' next HC. Have we really gotten that desperate and low? The Jets should go into next season with some very good young talent, a top 2-3 pick and a ton of cap space. It could be a very attractive job. While I like what I've seen and heard about Morton so far, the games haven't even started yet. All that fire, energy and passion could mean nothing if the Jets can't score or produce on offense. Even if the offense surprises and has a great year, it's still premature. We've seen what happens when we hire a novice HC who has been a DC, or a defensive position coach who skipped DC and went straight to HC. We need someone with experience, who knows how to build a team, to shape their identity/culture and how to win. We need a disciplinarian.

20. LOL...YES! We ARE this desperate & low. I'll spare you the typical SOJF woe is me song & dance. The team is a walking punchline & our biggest rival are cheating juggernauts. 48 years now??

Never said Morton is my choice or anything like that. I just think it's good to keep some coaching "prospects" on the shortlist...even better if they are in house & have some clue about the organization. Morton isn't even in my top 10 right now..but he's someone to at least keep an eye on.