Was the Rebuild a Last-Minute Decision?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jun 9, 2017.

?

How Do You Think the Complete Rebuild Came About This Season?

Poll closed Jun 20, 2017.
  1. The plan all along was to go with the complete rebuild in the 3rd season

11.1%
  2. The plan for the team's future changed during last season & they decided to go w/youth

27.8%
  3. The plan changed in 2017 when they couldn't sign a good FA QB & Pettyburg showed little progress

11.1%
  4. Mac convinced Woody that the complete rebuild was necessary during this off season

38.9%
  5. We're lucky that they had little cap space to bring in new FAs & that forced the change

11.1%
  6. This is plain and simple a tank job to get Darnold, Allen or another QB in the 2018 draft

5.6%
  7. I don't think they have a long term plan. They're winging it by the seat of their pants

11.1%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Wins are not important! Wins are not important! Wins are......Wait I see the light! Hallelujah! LOL.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Maccagnan's youth movement and overall rebuild has not been a "last-second decision".

If anything it's actually been a "more than obvious" type of GM plan and imo if you haven't taken note, well then you have not been paying close attention.

Jamal Adams (21).
    Jalin Marshall (21).
    Jordan Jenkins (22).
    Chad Hansen (22).
    Christian Hackenberg (22).
    Jeremy Clark (22).
    Leonard Williams (22).
    Darron Lee (22).
    Jordan Leggett (22).
    Juston Burris (23).
    Ross Martin (23).
    Doug Middleton (23).
    ArDarius Stewart (23).
    Elijah McGuire (23).
    Charone Peake (24).
    Robby Anderson (24).
    Lorenzo Mauldin (24).
    Marcus Maye (24).
    Lawrence Thomas (24).
    Austin Seferian-Jenkins (24).
    Ronald Martin (24).
    Dylan Donahue (24).
    Julian Howsare (24).
    Lachlan Edwards (25).
    Josh Martin (25).
    Brandon Shell (25).
    Bryce Petty (26).
    Brent Qvale (26).
    Julian Stanford (26).
    Chandler Catanzaro (26).
    Deon Simon (26).
    Morris Claiborne (27).
    Buster Skrine (28).
    James Carpenter (28).
    Kelvin Beachum (28).
    Bruce Carter (29).
    Matt Forte (31).
    Steve McLendon (31).
    Josh McCown (37).

Just to name a few.

How quickly some fans forget. None of those players (mentioned above) were even on our roster once Maccagnan arrived (not even a full 3 years ago).

Not even a full 3 years under Maccagnan and literally. The only players who i can think of who were already on our (current) roster once Maccagnan arrived are Dakota Dozier, Ben Ijalana, Dexter McDougle, Rontez Miles, Marcus Williams, Wesley Johnson, Brian Winters, Bilal Powell, Quincy Enunwa, Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson.

But yet.

There's actually a thread created such as this one. Acting as if and/or questioning if this rebuild could have been a "last second decision"?

Truly mind boggling.

Br4d likes this.
  3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

We started getting rid of people as soon as the season was over.

Yet we still have threads like this.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The character of the rebuild has changed between 2016 and 2017.

Last year the Jets were doubling down on competitive rebuild. This year they're doing the burn it all down and start anew angle. It was clear this was happening from the moment they released Nick Mangold. Mangold still had maybe a year's play left in him but he was aging and injury prone at this point and the Jets wanted to rebuild the offensive line. So they let him go and decided to make Wesley Johnson the incumbent.

The decision not to try to get a reduced salary from Mangold indicated the Jets were committing to getting younger at a key position at all costs.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If Jay Cutler was the difference between rebuilding and going for the playoffs, I'm a little concerned about the front office.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Seriously?

The Jets have been doing a "competitive rebuild" the last two seasons, trying to remain as competitive as they could. We've all seen Woody's decisions over the years. When have the Jets had a plan or done things in the right way? It would have surprised none of us if they had continued with that this season. They needed cap space, however, to sign the draft picks and fill some holes.

They signed McCown and expressed interest in several other veteran QBs, including Jay Cutler. If Cutler had signed here, do you really think the Jets would have gone with a youth movement? Many thought if the Jets were going with a youth movement or complete rebuild that they wouldn't have signed a veteran QB and would have just rolled with Petty and Hack. I doubt that Cutler would have signed with the Jets if they were planning a youth movement, and why would the Jets want him if that were the case? He isn't the mentor type, and he turns the ball over about as much as he throws TDs. He wouldn't be the type to help change the culture from being reckless with the football.

They signed Kelvin Beachum, Claiborne and several other FAs. It certainly looked like business as usual.

Almost every single player they released was pretty much done, there was a good reason, and/or the Jets needed the cap space. It wasn't just a matter of getting younger. Revis was done and he dogged it last season. His cap hit was awful. He would have been gone regardless whether it was a youth movement or trying to compete. Giacomini was injured and was terrible. He would have been gone regardless. Ryan Clady was injured, bad, and the Jets needed his cap space. He would have been gone regardless. Nick Mangold was pretty much done and his body is breaking down. Even though he had been a great Jet and was a popular player, the Jets definitely needed the cap space he provided. Erin Henderson obviously and sadly had a relapse with alcoholism or some other problem and they couldn't count on him for this season.

The Jets planned to keep Brandon Marshall in spite of the fact that he was a problem in the locker room and he dogged it on the field at the end of the season. Why would they have kept him if they were committed to a complete rebuild? He wouldn't have been that great a mentor, and his negative attitude was not something they should have wanted to keep around the young players. Fortunately, he asked to be released.

Nick Folk was too expensive and again the Jets needed cap space. He didn't have that great a year, missed several extra points, and cost them a win or two.

A number of fans were upset that Mac took two safeties and two WRs in the draft and didn't address the CB position earlier, and didn't address the C position. If the Jets were going to try to remain competitive, it would seem to have made more sense to draft a CB earlier instead of 2 safeties, and to have kept Pryor. At that time none of us were thinking a complete rebuild/youth movement. We knew that the team was trying to get better, faster and younger as they had the previous two seasons. That wasn't news. I made the comment at the time that since the rebuild was going to take another couple of years, did it really make that much difference in which order holes were addressed and several others commented that great S prospects are much rarer than great CB prospects. In retrospect, and in fairness to your perspective, this could have been a sign that the Jets were planning to go with a youth movement/complete rebuild this season and nobody picked up on it.

It wasn't until the last couple of weeks where Woody said that wins don't matter this season, and now this week Harris and Decker were cut. They had to wait with Decker until he was healthy, but they could have kept Harris. He can still play, and was great in the locker room. Why release him now? Was it because of the Pryor-Demario Davis trade? Why did it happen just now? Why not earlier? The timing of the article about Cutler is interesting. Why now? Why not 3-4 months ago?

The media have been saying for a while that the Jets were going to be bad this year (no surprise), but it's just been the last couple of weeks where they've really gone overboard and started saying that the Jets were tanking. They obviously didn't think the Jets were going with a complete rebuild/youth movement earlier.

I truly hope that I'm wrong, and that there has been a long-term plan in place, or at least following last season Mac helped Woody realize that the competitive rebuild wasn't working and wasn't going to work, so they determined to tear everything down and start over this season. Knowing Woody, however, that's a hard thing to believe without some real concrete proof and the words out of his mouth or Mac's mouth to that effect.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

You mean you haven't been before? You haven't been concerned about our idiot owner? I certainly have. I wouldn't have had any interest in Jay Cutler, period, regardless of what my plans were for this season.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Don't forget that at the time the Jets reached out to Cutler, they didn't have a starting QB. It makes sense to at least check in. I mean, what you really think the Jets would be thinking playoffs if they signed Cutler? They are just exploring all angles. Besides, they cut Brandon Marshall before Cutler was even available. If they thought they had a competitive team, they wouldn't be releasing Marshall.

#28 Sam Hammer, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Walt White likes this.
  9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Good points.

I don't even see how it's a question if Maccagnan's rebuild was a "last-minute" decision.

I mean when looking at the big picture within only a (less than) three year process Maccagnan already has...

▪ Two 3rd & 2nd year QB's in Hack & Petty in position to compete against one another for a starting gig as 4th and 2nd rounders.

▪ Two younger WR's in Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson on the verge of becoming our #1 and #2 in replace of Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker (not to mention Charone Peak, ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen & Jalin Marshall).

▪ Drafted Leonard Williams to play alongside of Mo Wilk while potentially losing Sheldon Richardson come 2018's offseason.

▪ Drafted Darron Lee last year out of Ohio State during the 1st round who's now set to replace an aging David Harris.

▪ Drafted both Jamal Adams & Marcus Maye 1-2 this year while replacing an older Gilchrist and letdown Calvin Pryor as our two new Safety's of the future.

▪ New blood at the TE position with ASJ & Jordan Leggett out of Clemson.

▪ A 4th year kid in Wesley Johnson in position to replace an aging Nick Mangold at Center.

▪ Two younger OLB's now being coached up by a HOF Kevin Greene in Lorenzo Maulin & Jordan Jenkins (both 3rd rounders).

▪ Allowed an aging Darrelle Revis walk and replaced with a younger Claiborne all while using three draft picks (during our last two drafts) on CB's in Burris, Clark & Jones.

▪ Allowed an aging LT in Ferguson to walk and then retire while trying to replace with Ryan Clady and (now) a 28 years of age Tackle in Kelvin Beachum.

Etc. Etc.

All while keeping football talents who are still pretty young from the previous regime in Powell, Enunwa, Winters, Skrine, Sheldon and Mo Wilkerson on our roster throughout this youth movement and rebuild.

From the moment Macc has came through the door. And looked at his overall roster left behind by Rex Ryan's era; he knew right then and there. That he had to turn that roster upside down. Which is what he's since done. And still within the midst of doing.

And I'm sorry. But kicking the tires on three veteran QB's within the midst of a total (but not yet completed) rebuild in Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jay Cutler and Josh McCown changes none of the above.

I swear. There are fans who can make absolutely nothing into a big deal. Last-Minute Rebuild? Heck no.

Last year may have been the straw that broke the campbell's back but let's not pretend and act as if MACC as an NFL GM did not come in (from day one) looking to play musical chairs with our roster spots; all while his eyes were set on a near future rebuild in which we're currently witnessing despite only being 3 draft(s) later.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am still excited for the season. I like the Youth Movement. David Harris and Eric Decker were both likeable players and not the problem, but I get the decision being made. Hopefully the Jets can make some strides, then start truly competing again in 2018 annually.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Jets were committed to doing a complete rebuild after last season they would've certainly fired Bowles, if not Maccagnan. Woody apparently believes that their philosophy and abilities are still workable. I see no hard evidence for that belief, but maybe it's based upon Woody's desire to give them both every opportunity to succeed/fail. I'm hoping that Woody's faith is rewarded, but based upon his track record, I wouldn't bet on it.

But for those who equate "complete rebuild with "tanking", I think you're wrong. The Jets will not purposely lose, and I believe they will try to win every game, even when it's meaningless at the end of the season, and can only screw up their draft position. As a competitor I admire that never-quit attitude, but as a realist, I shudder to think what it will produce: a 4 or 5 win season and the the 5th or 6th pick, well out of FQB draft territory. As long as Maccagnan is in charge, I see a long, steady - but slow - improvement at best, no overnight resurrection. Unfortunately, I may die before I see his plan bear fruit.

12. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

NC I say it was a last minute decision because a lot of these guys should've been dumped before free agency started... made no sense to me that we were pretty much over the cap the whole off season but started dumping those contracts after the draft gaining money with nobody left to spend it on.. leaving blatant holes on the roster.. etc.

13. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I rememeber Cutler had a visit lined up but McCown was signed before he arrived. I don't think it was anything but due diligence, positioning or even just putting a scare into Pettenberg. If they really wanted him, he would be on the roster. As for the rebuild, it's been in the works for quite some time. Decker IMO survived the purge as the league needed to see his health first in order for the Jets to even try and get anything for him as they are trying to do now. Too many WR's were taken and for a reason .. he was a red flag. As for Harris, I think he was originally going to play his last year as a Jet this year as there was no real young heir apparent yet but circumstances are circumstances and minds change, as perhaps one or more of the young LB's shined and/or looked intriguing enough during OTA's. IMO, Nothing more than that.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Yes, the "rebuild" has been in the works, but it was a "competitive rebuild," in other words, they were still in the mode of keeping and signing older vet FAs to try to win as much as they could while they were upgrading the roster and filling holes. IMO It would have taken forever to turn things around that way, and they probably never would have gotten where they wanted to be.

It wasn't the same kind of "complete rebuild" or "youth movement" that the team is doing now.

The team didn't have the cap space to sign many FAs or any big-name FAs. That helped force a change.

If they further changed their mind about this season because of the play of a young LB in OTAs, that sort of proves my point. I'm not saying that I definitely think that it was a last minute decision, but do think there is some evidence in that direction. I was mainly trying to ask a thought-provoking question to see what others thought.

I guess my title was misleading. It should have read, "Was the Complete Rebuild (Youth Movement) a Last-Minute Decision?".

#34 NCJetsfan, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    MJK likes this.
  15. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

They had to wait until Decker came off the injured list to cut him. They were asking Harris to take a pay cut and he declined. No great mystery there.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Getting young players is meaningless. We need good young players, and with the exception of Leonard Williams, nobody on the list has done anything impressive in the NFL. We might have more young players than other teams, but they have better young players.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets didn't have the cap space this year to continue the competitive rebuild even if they wanted too. They had too many aging vets that were getting released to make that cap space and so the few quality free agents they signed would still have been playing on a very young roster.

They could have kept Mangold and Decker and maybe Harris but at that point the cap space they got from releasing them eventually would not have been available. They could have kept Marshall but that would have been shaky given the locker room issues and the QB's available to them (Cutler and Marshall again? Unlikely.) Obviously they couldn't keep Revis based on his decline and Gilchrist was a huge question mark physically after his surgery.

Basically in order to go competitive rebuild again this year the Jets would have had to start at the roster that went 5-11 last year and then hope that the vet additions had up years while most of the vets they retained did not decline further, an unlikely possibility given the ages and injury histories involved.

As it is both of the prime free agents they did sign (free agents in their prime) have lengthy injury histories and may well wind up missing significant time this year.

The Jets were between a rock and a hard place in January and the full rebuild was by far the sounder and safer option. They waited until the end of OTA's to release some of the bubble vets because they wanted to make sure that neither Hack nor Petty had made a leap in the off-season that would suggest they might be competent this season. Neither did and so the dump vets rebuild went from mostly to nearly complete, with only Forte and McClendon left from last year in the over 30 category. McCown was signed because you cannot run a blank out at QB in the NFL and at this point both Hack and Petty are blanks.

NCJetsfan and mrjet80 like this.
  18. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I have wonder weather a complete rebuild was done by plan also....I was happy when the Jets cut Marshall then a day later read that he was offered a contract extension before his release..made me question exactly what the plan was.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is interesting too. Marshall was the one who asked to be released. Not sure what it was all about. I am happy with this fresh start though. If Hackenberg can somehow be good, this will be a fun season. If not, hopefully some of the young guys learn and start to win with a new QB in 2018.

20. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I think you're overly negative. The amount of talent on this team is far greater than when Macc took over (and we've only had him for 2 seasons and 3 drafts). He's also created a huge amount of cap space for next season and that money will be able to fill many holes.

The real question and the biggest hole on the jets is QB. If Hack or Petty can play, then this team will surprise people next year. If Hack has the talent to be a franchise QB, then next year this team will start to be in contention and they'll be in contention for years.

Pags2112 likes this.