So when does Forte get cut?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Jun 6, 2017.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Since we're now in the Rachel Phelps stage of literally putting out the worst team possible.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We would lose 1M on the cap by cutting Forte. So he's here to stay.

ajax, Cman68, FJF and 2 others like this.
  3. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I'm honestly not sure what they do.

Forte doesn't give cap savings but it's clear cap wasnt the motivator recently. We'll see.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The only recent cut/trade that did not gain at least $1M on the cap was the Pryor trade, that move may have been intended to give the team flexibility on Harris though. Even Erin Henderson saved them $2.5M on the cap.

Which cut/trade of a starter or important back up didn't save cap space?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  5. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I think there's enough reason to keep him this year. He's perfect for this offense and can help the new kid Elijah McGuire by example. Both he and Powell get nicked up anyway. We will probably see more than a little bit form McGuire.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

I agree with old as dirt forte they might go 2-14, without him they are a shoe in for 1-15.

Pags2112 likes this.
  7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

There is a ton of dead money if we release him right now.... at least I think there is. Next year not much at all. Without him, we really have no depth to speak of. Unless McGuire turns into Terrell Davis.... you know, because that would be great.

JetLifeLo and Red Menace like this.
  8. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

6 million .. to be exact .. he needs to run that offf lol.

Red Menace and thankyourevis like this.
  9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

They made the same observation on the NFL Network yesterday, wondering if Forte was going to get cut next. Heath Evans actually said on air that he warned Forte not to sign with the Jets. Can't blame Evans for feeling that way, but that's pretty ballsy for an analyst who should be team neutral.

#9 westiedog1, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    tomdeb likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

Powell is not young enough to release Forte over.

Powell's actually turning 29 this year. He's no longer considered as being a "young back". He'll see more touches come 2017 but it's not considered as 'stunting Powell's growth' by having Forte on our depth chart. Just a veteran backfield is all.

Now if we drafted Fournette during the 1st round who's still only 22 years of age. Well then yes when thinking youth movement i could really see Macc getting rid of a 31 year old Forte and going with a younger 1-2 punch of Fournette & Powell. But that's not the case.

And as far as Elijah McGuire goes? He doesn't have that "high profile" that you'd release a Forte type of veteran over. For example he's a small kid from a small school (Louisiana-Lafayette) and a late round rookie selected during the 6th round etc and chances are isn't the future featured back that Macc will select early on either.

Powell turning 29 just isn't young enough to kick a Forte over to the curb over.

Now...

Revis gone and replaced by a 27 year old Claiborne?

Gilchrist gone and replaced by a 21 y.o Jamal Adams?

Harris gone and replaced by a 22 y.o Darron Lee?

Mangold gone and replaced by a 26 y.o Wesley Johnson?

Marshall gone and replaced by a 25 y.o Enunwa?

Decker gone and replaced by a 24 y.o Robby?

Etc.

Now those are the moves in favor of the youth movement that make sense.

I just don't think it makes sense to release Forte with only a 29 year old Powell and 6th round rookie from a small school alongside of Forte on the depth charts...

JetLifeLo likes this.
  11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Dalvin Cook would have gotten Forte released

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Don't mention his name anymore. Please. I'm trying to get over it and move on. I'm a longtime FSU fan and #4 goes down as one of my top 5 All-Time favorite Seminole kids. Easily too. #28 Warrick Dunn type of fun and broke plenty of Dunn's FSU HB records too. Damn why'd you get me started with this B.S?

After i seen him slip out of the 1st round? The rest of that night? I couldn't stop telling myself that Dalvin Cook could end up in Green and White. During the 2nd round? I wanted to literally pray that he'd still be on the board once NYJ took the clock. And he was. And i was in shock. Ready to create a #4 Cook to the Jets thread. And then it happened. Jets select Safety out of FL from our rival Gators. I almost cried. Felt like a slap in the face as a longtime FSU and lifelong Jets fan. Then to see Minny draft him? Right after us? I was pissed off.

But i can't blame Maccagnan. Many GM's & teams were scared to pull the trigger due to his ugly past. It is what it is. I just know as an FSU fan I'll put a lot of pressure on Marcus Maye. And hope Maye becomes an All-Pro. That's all i can do.

Devonta Freeman is another FSU HB. Would love for Atlanta to lose Freeman to free agency and become a Jet. But honestly? Cook is way more explosive. Put Cook on the Falcons and it's over with.

But you see. That's my point. It would take a Fournette or Cook type of blue chip prospect to run Forte out of town with a youth movement. A soon to be 29 year old Powell just isn't going to cut it. Neither is a 6th rounder from a small school either.

Good lord would i fall in love with Saquon Barkley if we miss out on QB's. He's my favorite offensive (skilled player position) prospect. Without question too.

[​IMG]

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

What? The Jets have an offense????? Tell me more!

14. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Barkley is a beast, superfast, shifty and strong...DWC

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Hopefully this guy from the saints knows what he's doing... I actually like our weapons on O. Leggett and ASJ should be huge this year. Enunwa Robby Stewart Hansen Peake .. all young and fast! not house hold names.. but all fit the kind of QB Hack and Petty are... Can see a lot of big plays down field coming this year... if the QB gets more than 2 seconds to make a decision

16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

"If he's Old, slow, & costs lots of dough....... he gots to go!"

- Magic Mike

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Skipping Cook at the top of the 2nd speaks volumes about this FO

18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm excited about Peake, and I like Enunwa. I am cautiously optimistic about Legget and Anderson. I'm still holding out that Petty will show us something if given a fair shot. I haven't closed the book on Hack, but I think it's hard to be particularly hopeful about him. We know who Powell is, and maybe Forte has a few more games in him. If Beachum returns to form, the Jets will still field a pretty below average line. If he does not, it might be the worst in the league.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Dalvin Cook also had a lot of red flags apparently. His combine was also not the greatest (even though I put less stock in combines).

On another note, I wouldn't mind to see Forte get cut but honestly, we mite as well keep him on the roster since he will carry a dead money cap hit if we let him go. Also, not once has Powell been able to handle being RB1. He gets banged up far too quickly so keeping Forte to share some of the work load is IMO a wise thing to do. Now for next season, I would hope we got rid of Forte.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, but is he Superfly?