Josh Allen anyone??

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cman68, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm curious as to why there's been nothing said about this kid. He playing in Wyoming and yes, it does get cold and snow there so weather shouldn't be much of a factor. He's 6-5/234 so size isn't a problem either. Anybody got anything on this kid? He didn't rape any cowgirls I hope. If we come up short on Sam, why not go after this kid?

Just asking the question and posing the thought....

blackssmagic likes this.
  2. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that on paper the next draft class is pretty QB heavy. I take it you haven't been in the draft forum in a bit? Josh Allen has been one of the biggest talking points over there. That said, I like Allen as a prospect but he needs to improve his decision making and accuracy before I'd feel comfortable drafting him in the first.

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You're conflating two QBs.

Rosen plays at UCLA
    Josh Allen plays at Wyoming.

I will be watching more college football this season than I've ever watched before to watch these guys.

4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

yeah that threw me off too but I got what he meant lol.

I'm on that same boat though, UCLA and USC football all year for me.. unless Hack is doing well.. then I'll focus in on our other needs!

Cman68 likes this.
  5. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Think the kid has a lot of the tools, but there are a few concerns.
    1) Injured his throwing shoulder, required surgery
    2) Has thrown more interceptions than one would like to see, some really rough ones at that. Tends to miss "high" like someone else we know.
    3) Not sure he will do well against defenses that mix things up with their coverage, based on his current game

I'm not saying he wont be great, but these are the things working against him right now compared to guys like Allen and Darnold.

legler82 likes this.
  6. Cman68

thanks! I'll update the thread title.

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about him right now as I've never seen a Wyoming football game ever.

Interestingly though, I looked them up since this Allen kid is being talked about as a prospect/potential with our Jets and Wyoming plays against Iowa, Oregon and Boise State this fall. I would have to imagine all three would be nationally televised games where we could check him out against good competition, something I hope I can do this fall.

can anyone who has watched him play tell us at least what style of offense they play at Wyoming? is he pro-style or one of these spread/air raid QBs? thanks

BacktoQueens and JetLifeLo like this.
  8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Thought you meant Marty Allen

[​IMG]

9. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Not sure the difference between Allen and Darnold are. Both have only been productive/even started for a single collegiate season and outside of the Rose Bowl, was Darnold really all that more impressive than Allen? It will be interesting to see how these guys play in Year 2, with a lot more tape on them, etc. I have a feeling one or both of them may stay behind for a third year.

almbleamal likes this.
  10. Cman68

That would be typical Jets luck wouldn't it...

Royal Tee, GreenfiendNYJ and boozer32 like this.
  11. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Sure would. However, I like Rudolph from OkState if this were to happen. Just stay away from Rosen. That kid has Ryan Leaf written all over him.

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

If there's a silver lining to how shitty Sunday's are about to be it's how much more exciting Saturday's are. I'm gonna enjoy watching USC, UCLA, Oklahoma State, Wyoming and Louisville.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't affect us we will stink for a few years. We'll have our choice of top college QB for the next 5 years. But then again we only draft defense in the first round. I don't think Bowles and Macc even scout offense.

ColoradoContrails, Cman68 and Jets69 like this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Penn State. They have a good QB and top RB in Barkley. Darnold and McSorley had a great old fashioned duel in the Rose Bowl.

Big Cat likes this.
  15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Pro. I believe I've read Allen makes reads down field and adjusts on the fly. This is why one of the main reason's he is highly sought after (in addition to his bio metrics, of course).

BacktoQueens and BrowningNagle like this.
  16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Seen some of Allen tape and he's got the size and the arm. He can make throws in very tight windows and has some scrambling ability.

I also wanted us to take a look at Justin Herbert, OR's.QB but he's a true sophomore. He has to tools to become a first round QB but they are switching to a run first offense this year. His numbers will probably suffer.

17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Can someone remind me who was the last GOOD quarterback that completed less than 60% of his throws in his last season in college? (Besides Matt Ryan).

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Guys. To be clear, Rosen of UCLA should not remotely be considered in the same category as Sam Darnold. He is not even close. I wouldn't want him over Petty, never mind tanking for the dude. He is far from a first round pick as you can get. Don't know much about Allen but bears watching.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It's okay we will get him the next time, as we continue our two year tank plan, the fucker can't stay in college forever :D

20. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Another thing to worry about Allen is despite his size and crazy arm strength (Pat Mahomes level IMO) he struggles throwing in the rain as evidenced by his bowl game last year. He played much better in the second half when the rain died down and nearly came back to win but threw an INT in his potentially game winning drive.

He plays superhero ball because of his natural gifts and while he has the physical ability to pull it off, it gets him into trouble. This is where the Farve comparisons come from.

I've watched as much on him as I could've last year and my view on him is he plays like Pat Mahomes with a more traditional base, has some problems with decision making and protecting the football. That said, he's faster than Mahomes, has a comparable arm, plays in a more traditional system. Throws extremely well on the run. He can NOT throw off balance like Mahomes. He can drop absolute dimes with touch in super tight coverage and challenge DBs the same way a few plays later and get picked.

He needs to learn to play within the system and stop trying to be Superman. He challenges coverage deep a lot because he has the arm to, he trusts his eyes a little too much (if he sees an open man back across the field to his left when he's scrambling right he will throw across his body no hesitation. I understand the guy is a beast with a beastly arm but he needs to learn to pick his shots better. That may come with more play time or maybe not.

IMO he has the best upside of any QB in next years draft. As of today, he needs to show me he can take care of the ball better, both running/scrambling and throwing.

almbleamal, LAJet and boozer32 like this.