Players that Mike Maccagnan has drafted in which come from powerhouse college football programs.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, May 27, 2017.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

ArDarius Stewart, WR; Alabama.
    Charone Peake, WR; Clemson.
    Jordan Leggett, TE; Clemson.
    Marcus Maye, S; Florida.
    Jordan Jenkins, OLB; Georgia.
    Jamal Adams, S; LSU.
    Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB; Louisville.
    Jeremy Clark, CB; Michigan.
    Darron Lee, MLB; Ohio State.
    Devin Smith, WR; Ohio State.
    Christian Hackenberg, QB; Penn State.
    Leonard Williams, DE/NT; USC.

As someone who absolutely loves the game of college football, I'm pretty sure that the same can be said for just about every teams drafting pattern (ala drafting kids out of big time football programs) but as a longtime Jets fan; i really can't remember/recall the last time in which I've seen this amount of younger players drafted in which come from (historically and/or current) powerhouse football programs.

This is just something that's intriguing to me and as a fan moving forward i can't wait to see these players take the field in hopes of a culture change. With players coming out of powerhouse programs/big time conferences.

#1 DefenseWinsChampionships, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

*Devin Smith, WR; Ohio State

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

That's one of the most frustrating aspects of sports. Especially football. When a kids career is over before it even had a chance to begin/start; due to multiple injuries.

But then again injury is a big part of the game & imo impossible to predict/avoid when drafting players ala hindsight always being 20/20. Some players don't make it (Smith) while others are on the right path to success (Williams) along with players who are just injury prone (your avatar) etc.

#3 DefenseWinsChampionships, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    nicg4360 likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think players from powerhouse programs will necessarily improve team culture. See Aaron Hernandez, Florida.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Ok. But that's one player who ruined his own life as well as countless of others. But then again, on the flip side, I can name you and list off hundreds of good kids, talented kids; that's came out of powerhouse programs such as LSU, Florida Gators, Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, USC etc within the past and/or currently impacting on an NFL level. In big time ways.

Put a bunch of good kids together. Fom winning programs. Who competed against eachother in college ... put them together. On the same team. and good things can happen both on the field (and inside the locker room). I'm anxious to see how they'll compete (together)

Just look at some of these stars in the game today. Position by position. Take a look at which powerhouse schools these players come from. Fk "Aaron Hernandez". I couldn't care less about that dude. He has nothing to do with the current group of kids that Macc has drafted.

I've noticed two major conferences in which Macc along with his scouting dept. have gone fishing for talent in; it's been the ACC (3) & SEC (4). Two current hot spots of current NFL ball players. As an FSU fan the ACC is loaded with talent. The SEC is scary.

I'm excited to see what these kids are made up of. And patient enough to watch how they develop. Some will. Some won't. But I've personally enjoyed his 3 drafts thus far. From a fans point of view at least.

Tell me. As Jet fans. During a 3 year span. When's the last time we've drafted as many kids from these types of schools? I can't. But I'm all ears.

#5 DefenseWinsChampionships, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Pags2112 likes this.
  6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I don't know how unusual this is. I guess you'd have to look at other teams drafting patterns as well. But yea it is interesting because you are expecting that these guys, even those that need some developing (as in from our 17 class, Clark and Leggett) have had quality coaching, have competed against elite talent, and have been out there in enormous pressure situations in front of 80,000 plus.

7. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

Agreed. And I LOVE this 2017 draft class.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Some of my points exactly.

For example I actually cant wait to just see how Hackenberg looks while surrounded by kids from Ohio State in Jalin Marshall (although undrafted), a 2nd year kid out of Clemson (Peake) along with a Rookie who's also out of Clemson in Leggett. As well as another rookie out of Alabama in Stewart.

With Hackenberg's arm strength it could've been fun to see Devin Smith running deep routes on the same field. Looks like it won't happen but nonetheless im currently a fan of the youth movement. Might as well keep trying to add these types of players who've tasted pressure situations with winning programs.

Pags2112 likes this.
  9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Who would've thought that an undrafted rookie in Robby out of Temple University would've put up 40+ receptions/500+ receiving yards and 2 TD's, with less than ideal QB play? This 6'3 kid can down right ball out. We all seen it in preseason too. These are the types of stories i like to see. Macc never drafted Enunwa but this kid out of Nebraska is another young ball player. Diamonds in the ruff.

So when i focus on Macc drafting players out of actual powerhouse programs such as USC, Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Florida, Georgia even Louisville is a football hot spot right now i cant help but hope to see some of these young players truly break out. On the next level. Or at the very least see for myself.

An underrated topic is Leggett. An athletic pass catching TE in the mold of a receiver who's coming out of Clemson. Performed alongside of Watson. Against rival schools. Pressureful downs and games. When called upon this kid performed.

As an FSU fan off the field concerns or not i wanted Dalvin Cook. In the worst way too. But after drafting Adams out of the SEC (LSU) I've warmed up to the drafting of Marcus Maye in replace of #4 Cook. Another SEC kid. Florida. The SEC is built off defense. And we just landed two SEC kids out of LSU and Florida rounds 1 & 2? I just like the sound of that. They'll forever be "tied to the hip".

Who knows. If both become monsters out of the SEC, playing behind Lee & Williams? Macc & our scouting dept could really be onto something good here.

Pags2112 likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I miss the days when we were spending 2nd round picks on players from UMass and receivers from Wishbone teams and 1st round picks on CB's from shootout conferences.

There's something to be said for a pre-disastered high draft pick since you don't have to wait 3 years to know the guy is a stiff who won't workout.

Pags2112 likes this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

While there are hundreds of good kids from big schools, there are also hundreds of good kids from small schools. Chase Stuart looked at all players drafted from 2000 to 2009 and found that favoring big school prospects does not give you an advantage.

http://www.footballperspective.com/are-big-school-prospects-overrated-in-the-nfl-draft/

NCJetsfan and Pags2112 like this.
  12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He had red flags flying around all over him during the draft time - and only Patriots were willing to draft him. You need to look at him from different perspective; like, even a criminal like Aaron Hernandez couldn't destroy Patriots locker room.

13. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Your correct .. we have not drafted that many prospects from the power schools in 5 years. Look at the 2013 & 2014 drafts .. I don't think any of them came from a power school besides Dee Millener.

Of course talent can be found anywhere but those schools do provide top competition on Saturdays as well as within the team.

14. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

A reason I also warmed up to the selection of Maye was in terms of leadership. He was the Alpha on Floridas defense as was Adams for LSU. On a team that had just as many mercenaries playing for them as home grown players, unity in the lockeroom was less than scarce. Bowles has his faults but the players also have to police amongst their own. When times got grim there were no true vocal leaders to rally around. By drafting Alpha Male Leaders whom are also talented, this team can finally take on its own identity. I for one am really excited about what this team will turn into come 2018-2019. Yes it's gonna take a few years but I think it will be well worth it in the end.

15. The Bradway/Herm era saw alot of Big school types...perhaps not to this degree however.

No idea to what extent teams are doing this now..but if they are wise, they start the real "wide net" portion of their scouting/evaluation sometime around Junior year of HS. That way they can really get a handle on player progress/timeline as well as getting a head start on who might be the best athletes for any given age group.That's not to say they are grading the players or projecting their worth 5 years down the road or that their wont be other prospects emerge at other points in the process..but this really provides a firm understanding of the entire landscape. Furthermore, this would likely lead to comprehensive reports for largely Big school players, as those are where the best athletes usually commit.If a team can follow a player's path from the onset instead of scrambling & backtracking over a potential red flag later in the process;Suddenly selecting a player can have alot more conviction for potential success.