Your main issue with Todd Bowles is...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, May 27, 2017.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I've put the past behind me. I love the way the young guys respond to him. I love this staff he put together after last year's debacle. He recognized things weren't getting done the way he wanted and made changes. Rex didn't do that until it was too late.

He obviously has to improve in time management, challenges, get a little better at halftime adjustments though I understand not straying away from your gameplan too much especially if the game is close.

I really like him as a coach, hopefully Woody lets him and everyone else learn through their mistakes for once.

2. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

What I don't like is he seems to have the same problem Rex had in he does not seem to involve himself at all on the offensive side of the ball. BB was also a D guy but as a HC he is part of the O as well as D (but honestly more involved with D about 70/30)
    The other thing is he is a poor game day coach. He looks like he is in a coma on the sideline and when he says something to a player it really short, often two or three words and as mentioned, poor with adjustments. I'm not saying he makes none, it just seems by the time he does, the damge is done.
    Slow starts are another thing. This is part adjustment and part preperation and formulation. If you see a team was vulnerable to something, attack it but find a new way to do it. Attacking it the same way as the last team did is not going to work. The players have already seen that and now know how to react because they were looking at it in film study all week.
    Lastly, yeah, the players don't seem to respect him as proof with lateness and Mo not even showing up for a birthday party but I don't put this 100% on him. The players are supposed to have leaders in the lockerroom that police the team. The best example I can think of is the Knicks of the 80's. Ewing and Oakley were not just players, they kept guys like Starks and Mason in line. We don't have anyone like that. I really wish Mo was more of a leader like this. On O it woukd have to be a QB and we have nothing there.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

My main problem with Todd Bowles is that the Jet's roster sucks.

I think that's likely to continue to be a problem in the short-term and reasonably likely to get him fired.

I had no problem with Bowles in 2015 when the Jets upgraded across the board with vets about to drop out of sight but good for one more year.

On the locker room issues: the Jets imported a known cancer in the locker room in Brandon Marshall. He's blown up everywhere he's been and the closest he's been to a winning team was the 2015 Jets.

Sheldon Richardson is a self-destructive immature guy who is going to have half the career and make a third of the money (if he's lucky) that he might have with better decision-making off the field. He was also a huge problem in the locker room last year which is not surprising given he was willing to drive 140+ with a kid in the back seat. Risk-taking loose cannons have damaged many a head coach by poor choices that coach had little control over.

Darrelle Revis retired on the field last year, giving a half-effort that all of us saw all year long. Given that his money was all guaranteed and that he was past midnight for an NFL player this is not surprising. Another player issue that Bowles had no good options on. Benching Revis while the Jet's secondary was getting torched would have been well-received by the NY media and fans (NOT) and even his teammates would have had issues as the losses piled up.

Nick Mangold was a great player for the Jets but he was also in the twilight of his career, not playing at his top levels and then he broke down.

Ryan Clady got hurt again. Surprise, surprise,

Breno Giacomini was hurt all year and played poorly when he was on the field.

Show me an offense that can handle the loss of the Center and both Tackles and I will show you a real flying pig.

Eric Decker got hurt.

Ryan Fitzpatrick reverted to being Ryan Fitzpatrick.

None of the young QB's was capable of playing well for more than a drive here and there.

Seriously, the Jets talent base blew chunks last year. That will make any coach look much worse than he really is. Bill Belichik went 5-11 in 2000 with the Pats. Injuries all over the place will do that too a guy.

4. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with all of these points. I think the talent level will definitely be measurably better this year with a solid draft, more experience from some of the younger players (eg, Lee and Mauldin) , and hopefully some significant contribution from FA's like Claiborne, Beachum, etc. My issues with Bowles has already been mentioned by many others, not having the team ready (psyched-up) from the start of the game, and slow to make in game adjustments.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post.

6. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

You guys ever watch Kacey Rodgers pressers? Seems like a really nice guy but he comes off as without a clue in my opinion. How'd this guy get to be DC?

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't possibly disagree more. I think this is a bunch of BS excuses.

You have to coach with the players you have. Whining about what you don't have doesn't cut it.

Were there injuries? Yes, but there are on all teams. They're part of the game. You deal with them. You get backups prepared and mentally in the game. You utilize schemes that fit whatever talents and abilities your players have, not try to force them into some scheme that doesn't fit their talents or put them in a position succeed. Even with the injuries, if the Jets had played discipline, prepared football last year, and their HC had done a better job with game and clock management, they'd have won at least another 3-4 games.

There's no way that Darrelle Revis should have continued to play last season. With the way he was dogging it, I can't see one fan or one person in the media knocking the decision to bench his ass. He was an embarrassment to the team and should have been one to himself. If he had any self respect, respect for the team or the game itself, he would have benched himself. He's never cared about the game, only about the money. To helll with him. I hope that last season keeps him out of the HOF.

As for Fitz. Bowles has been around long enough to know what Fitz is. He should have known what he was capable of and made sure that Gailey had Geno and Petty ready to play. But no, he left Gailey alone to do whatever all the while knowing that Gailey was retiring at the end of the year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Braindead and he's a corpse emotionally

tomdeb likes this.
  9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Bowles put these guys in positions to succeed defensively but they just don't produce.

I remember him telling Cro a 9 was coming and he got beat deep for a touchdown.

I remember the AJ Green catch where he "burned Revis only because Marcus Williams was out of position so Gilchrist and Revis got caught watching and AJ ran by them.

He does some good things, he does some bad things. Let's see how this year goes.

FJF likes this.
  10. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

His first year here Fitz set franchise records at QB, he's had one good year and one bad year at the QB position.

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

you are being kind to root canals

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

I honestly have no clue. He went from a former player to a...

• D-Line coach and assistant head coach for Tenn-Martin.

• D-line coach for Northeast Louisiana.

• D-Line coach and assistant head coach for Middle Tenn State.

• D-Line coach for Arkansas.

• DT coach & D-Line coach for Dallas Cowboys.

• D-Line coach for Miami Dolphins.

And out of nowhere. Now calling plays on an NFL level as a defensive coordinator for our NY Jets.

I personally can not stand this guy as a DC.

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You missed out some things in that list...

He was the defensive backs coach for the New York Jets in 2000

I can't remember reading any of you guys saying he had been here before o_O

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I guess he made the same impression the first time around.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Position coach in college to position coach in NFL to coordinator does not seem out of nowhere to me.actually sounds like a pretty natural progression

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I personally like the guy.

Sometimes when i begin to question him as a head coach (out of frustration) i then begin to see the other side of Bowles. Here i was, questioning his fire on the sidelines.

Then i asked myself, what if him being calm, cool & collected can become a strong trait of his as time goes on? I can envision this man leading a serious defense. A focused unit. No smiles, no cries. A defense that plays like a focused machine. I can see this man, as head coach; leading a bunch of young players.

His 1st year as head coach Fitzpatrick played well up until week 17. Bowles had our team within striking distance. Last year Fitz was a nightmare and Bowles lost. But he has not lost his locker room. These kids will play hard under him. I just know it. He's a humble dude.

If you always blame every HC for poor QB play. There would be no BB. Belly lost with both CLE & NE before landing Brady. Some coaches. Need time. To build their team.

Only 3rd year for Bowles. Lets see what he has this year.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Really can't blame Bowles for the locker room issues between headcase Richardson and headcase Marshall. Most head coaches never even go into the locker room. Rex never did either. The locker room is the player's domain and you count on your team leaders to run it.

Did we have captains under Bowles? If not, we may need to start just for the leadership aspect.

18. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well said 214. Brandon Marshall has pretty much been a headcase everywhere he's been. He's always been in the media. And i guess Sheldon Richardson didn't like it and/or wasn't having it.

I can't blame my head coach for everything that's wrong. He wants to win like them all. But how could Bowles as a man stop Sheldon from doing what he did with a child in car? I'm just glad Sheldon has not since been in trouble under Bowles. Maybe he's learned as a young man. Time will tell.

And just like BB could not save Aaron Hernandez from life. Sometimes you have to let these players figure it out for themselves. Just like we've all done. I can not blame coach Bowles for the actions of Marshall, Richardson, Robby and/or Jalin when not on the football field.

There are many of reasons on why despite all of Marshall's outstanding abilities and pure football talents he's been with so many different teams. Never been to the playoffs. He appears frustrated.

I gotta give Bowles a chance. He's the complete opposite of Rex who's mouth got boring. Lets see how these players compete for him here in year #3. I have a feeling we'll at least see these young players play hard. Under Bowles. Training camp should be fierce at all positions.

Maybe Jamal Adams. For Todd Bowles secondary. As a natural born leader on & off the field. Can become the best thing that's happened to Bowles. I believe in this Adams kid. I can picture a strong bond between Bowles & Jamal. I'm ready to see this 2017 defense first and foremost.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You can picture a "cool, calm and collected" Bowles " leading a bunch of young players" ?? Hope you are right, but I do NOT think Bowles verbalizing this last offseason that players being late for team meetings is no big deal. Continuing on, Bowles babbles something about not everyone having an alarm clock.(?). Right, Todd, I doubt Mowilk could afford an alarm clock on his $82M contract. I actually started laughing when Bowles said that, but at the same time could not believe my team hired someone that stupid who would articulate that while on camera. Todd probably doesn't know that most cell phones have alarms on them. High paid athletes will get away with whatever you let them. Giving them a preemptive pass for being on time for team meetings before a new season starts doesn't sound like leadership to me--sounds like a stupid comment from a coach in over his head.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Spot on.