KNOW WHO ELSE WILL SURPRISE THIS SEASON?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, May 24, 2017.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'll sign for this, as long as he posts these numbers in practice, and stays a backup.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I am not impressed. Teammates and coaches generally have nice things to say. Parroting these remarks forwards your opinion rather than creating a consensus. It's fine that you're a fan but putting such statements out as if they are a universal truth is far from accurate. Your last link begins with these words: "If you hadn’t known better, you might be convinced that Browns quarterback Josh McCown is in the elite status.."

Don't pull a muscle patting yourself on the back, gunslinger.

#42 Ralebird, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If McCown is set to guarantee us a 6 win in a season that Darnold declares for the draft, than we need to saw his legs off.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

And indeed they will

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not Winston could get injured and miss a game or 2. Tampa is much further along than the Jets and it doesn't matter if he's holding a clipboard or handing out gatorade if he's on that roster come playoff time he'll have a check with his name on it. That is something that has never happened to him before.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

McCown is old. He wasn't good when he was young. I like the optimism but find it unlikely. Hopefully Hackenberg beats him out.

7. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

Maybe Hackenberg does beat him out? We'll see.

Josh McCown? Think of him as a more modern day Pat Ryan.

Man did I love me some Pat Ryan.

Mr. Guts to the rescue.

8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I dont think the Jets payed Mccown all that money to sit,,,ps Bowels will not start the kids quote me save it tell me I was wrong !

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

a qb getting 6 mil is not a lot of money. thats high side back up money when they know they may have to play you if the kids don't look good or you have a stacked team and want the best back up available so an injury doesn't kill your playoff hopes.
    obviously we are the former and neither us nor mccown fit into the latter scenario

Pags2112 likes this.
  10. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Im a Hackenberg supporter and feel he will suprise and even feel petty got a raw deal last year but God help us if they can't beat out McCown.

Pags2112 likes this.
  11. FJF

ah, he will indeed in the form of the phrase"with the 1st pick in the 2018 nfl draft the nyj select......"
    we're sitting in a pretty good spot right now,not for 2017, but long term. lot of potential

Pags2112 and nicg4360 like this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

FJAY --I hear you but I think he gets $ 650, 000 per game and we out bid Dallas by 4 million , might not be a lot of moolah but in the long run our clueless HC will not start the kids over Mccown its not in his DNA .2018 cant come fast enough for me !

13. FJF

Yea,not sure about that myth either c.
    He tried to bench fitz for geno, a fitz that wouldn't have started 2015 if it wasn't for a fluke locker room punch, but geno blew out his knee, tried to bench fitz for petty,petty hurt his shoulder. Playing hack was never a plan.i actually applaud them for sticking to their guns when it would have been easy to just shrug their shoulders and thrown him in. So when I look at what happened on a timeline, I have a hard time buying the mccown is a lock because Bowles only plays veterans narrative. I'll wait to at least preseason game 2 before I get too excited about Bowles' qb decision

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Its not only that FJF ,,he left Revis out there for ever,,,, people say you cant bench Revis ,,,he left Skrine out there 4 eva,,,,Pryor ugh,,he left Fitz throw almost double digit INTs in one game and would not pull him,,,,and theres more,,,, we shall see my brother

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

To each our own but i don't believe that McCown will surprise anyone as a Jet. I've seen this story before. And I pretty much know how it ends.

I won't lie. Fitzpatrick tricked me. But I won't allow Josh McCown the opportunity to trick me as well. Below I'll explain.

You are, who you are. And as a fan I'm starting to grasp that cold hearted reality. Career passer rating of only 78.2? He's Ryan Fitzpatrick 2.0 all over again but imo, he's even worse.

Fitzpatrick tricked me throughout most of 2015. And then "Fitzpatrick happened" come week 17 of that year against Buffalo. That's when he played as a career backup would play against Buffalo. He tossed INT after INT while postseason hopes were still alive.

Fitzpatrick's disaster against Buffalo was one of my top 5 lowest feelings I've ever felt as a Jet fan. Right up there with Barry running wild against us during week 17 of 1997, Denver of 1998, Vinny going down during week 1 of 1999, INDY off 2009 and/or Pittsburgh of 2010. Watching Fitz play as he played week 17 of 2015 was an All-Time low for me as an NYJ fan.

To make it worse he then performed the same exact way as a career backup would perform the following season of last year. Even worse to be quite frank. In other words all throughout last year (for me at least) it felt like an extended/continued version of Buffalo's week 17 nightmate. Fitztragic. Career backup. Shitzpatrick. Career journeyman. Shitztragic. Career loser. Whatever we wish to call Fitzpatrick; he was hard to watch during year #2 as a Jet. His arm limitations. Decision making. Just everything. He just took the fun away from watching an offense take the field. There was no energy. No excitement whatsoever. Just frustration watching him. I'd rather not live through those Fitz 2.0 types of letdowns with Josh freaking McCown.

Two years later. And this is where we're currently at after Fitzpatrick. McCown would be no different.

Why should any of us show any loyality to Josh McCown here in 2017? What's he ever done (as a starting NFL QB) to earn and/or deserve starting honors? What's he ever proven to justify the benching of Hackenberg and/or Petty while he collects game checks?

Me personally. I want the chance to see these young guns take the field. As a fan i wanna see what a 3rd year Petty or a 2nd year Hackenberg has to offer. I wanna see what these kids are made up of before heading into 2018 or 2019's NFL draft class.

I want either of Hackenberg or Petty under center come opening day. With McCown as their backup. Just as he's always been. A career backup (as was Fitzpatrick, another career backup).

Lets take a closer look at who Josh McCown really is. You are who you are. Especially with 14 years of NFL experience under your belt. 37 years old (38 by seasons start).

• 8 different teams. For a reason too.

2002-2005: Arizona for 4 years (losing record of 10-12).

2006: Detroit for 1 year (0 pass attempts).

2007: Oakland for 1 year (losing record of 2-7).

2008-2009: Carolina for 2 years (a combined 6 pass attempts).

¤ 2011-2013: Chicago for 3 years. Finally managed to have a winning record. (4-3 overall. 1 game above .500). This wouldn't last long [see below].

2014: Tampa for 1 year (losing record of 1-10).

2015-2016: Cleveland for 2 years (losing record of 1-10).

Yes. He's been in some pretty shitty situations. For some pretty crappy teams too. But he, as a quarterback, has never made a positive difference for a Franchise, fan base, team or teammates while under Center. He's lost. And continued to lose some more.

If it's true that we're going with a youth movement type of re-build, well then I just don't see the type of upside in which he could bring to and for our younger players on our offensive roster such as Enunwa, Robby, Peake, Jalin, Stewart, Leggett, Hansen or Seferian-Jenkins. Powell should also become a 1st time featured back. I just don't see what starting McCown could possibly do in terms of improving their potential.

I'd rather roll my dice, gamble & take a chance on the unknown with young untapped potential. At least if Petty or Hackenberg struggle, fail, make mistakes, blow ball games etc i can see a silver lining knowing that they're at least learning, going through the process, gaining experience while getting a chance to see them in live action. Or how they respond to ugly situations. But with McCown? When he makes mistakes? It'll be from nothing more than a career backup who's on his way out of the game. I'd instantly become frustrated with McCown out there. He's a career backup and the sidelines are where he belongs.

• Career losing record of 18-42.
    • 2-20 record throughout his previous 22 starts.

If fans couldn't defend Sanchez, Geno, Fitzpatrick etc then how can you defend this crap?

In closing i don't want both of Petty and Hackenberg on the sidelines while watching McCown try to play football and quarterback on Sundays. If anything (for the sake of our younger QB's) I want it the other way around. With McCown on the bench. As the career backup journeyman in which he's always been. I feel he (like Fitz) stunts an offense while hurting the development of younger players. I rather go with young talent and/or see our coaching staff tap into untapped potential. McCown brings none of that to the table.

nicg4360 likes this.