KNOW WHO ELSE WILL SURPRISE THIS SEASON?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, May 24, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that one of two things were at play. Either the Jets were pretty confident that Hack or Petty will be the guy, or the Jets are still trying to find their QB, but chose not to draft one this year for several reasons. One, they didn't really like any of the QBs in this year's class better than Petty or Hack. Two, they knew that if they drafted a QB, it would only decrease the chances that either Petty or Hack developed this year, because it would significantly eat into the number of reps they got and time they have with Bates and/or Morton one-on-one. Three, they didn't want to carry 4 QBs again, liked both Petty and Hack too much to cut one, and didn't see the sense of drafting yet another developmental QB. I firmly believe that Mac's plan is that if neither Petty nor Hack pan out this year, that the Jets will draft a QB next year.

2. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Even if McCown could start and lead us to a winning record - that would still be a terrible failure of a season. Anything other than a SB victory would be a long term loss for the franchise.

Mac needs as much tape as possible this off-season to evaluate Hack/Petty going into next year's draft. Every snap that McCown takes ahead of the kids is a wasted snap. Bowles should be fired if he even hints at McCown starting. Hell I'm going to be angry when McCown takes preseason snaps earlier than the 4th quarter!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

nicg4360, NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He doesn't have a better beard than Fitzpatrick. I'm happy for Fitz he'll finally make the playoffs this year with TB.

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

As bad as Hack has looked in OTA McCown might be 2nd string. Petty is the answer and will be the starter this year. Hack will be working on his clipboard holding duties again. Just to refresh this will be Hack 2nd year of never seeing the field as a 2nd round pick for a team in dire need of QB play. Let that sink in again.

5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Please let McCowan start.

After week 8 when he gets injured and they are 1-7 they will throw Petty to the wolves and after he gets blown up after 3 straight losses in will come Hackenberg. Hack will go 2-3 and we finish 3-13.

So once again PLEASE let McCowan start!

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

NO!! There is zero reason to start McCown. Petty and Hack need to play.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

McCown is a gutty football player who Jets fans will eventually come to appreciate.

Provided he stays healthy and plays all 16-games I see McCown throwing anywhere from 22-25 touchdown passes this upcoming season.

His completion percentage will be somewhere around 60%.

He'll also be picked off about 12-15 times.

Bert knows quarterbacks.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Please illustrate how this has been exhibited in the past.

9. FanSinceBIGShea

This is about the kind of QB McCown will be... but with a better team, better skill players around him:

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A highlight film proves only one thing - that someone had a camera. You said McCown's "a pro's pro...a player that inspires others around him."
    Would you care to support that statement?

11. FanSinceBIGShea

No, that specific highlight tape showed the kind of throws that a QB like McCown can make, and with a more talented fleet of skill position players surrounding him I believe he will be more effective. Not a world beater by any means, but a solid stop gap until the future arrives.

If you know anything about McCown's reputation, you would know that he is a respected player in the league, prepares diligently, and goes about his work in a very professional fashion.

Hartline stood staunchly by McCown, who will be 36 on opening day, saying he is "that quality guy."
    http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...s-firmly-with-new-browns-teammate-josh-mccown

“You can see in preseason how badly other teams wanted Josh because of the trade rumors because of his experience as a starter. You do not find guys like that on very many rosters.”

“Josh is a pro’s pro,” Thomas said. “You do not survive 15, 16 years in the NFL without knowing how to take care of your business, even in the face of adversity.”
    http://www.wkyc.com/sports/nfl/brow...mccown-is-huge-advantage-for-browns/319173327

http://www.isportsweb.com/2016/07/08/cleveland-browns-qb-may/

“He’s done nothing but prove me to be a believer in him. He just understands the system. He’s a pro’s pro. He can make all the throws. He commands the huddle.”
    http://www.tribtoday.com/uncategorized/2015/08/mccown-receives-praise-from-coaches-teammates/

Next time make sure you leave the knife at home when engaging me in a gun fight.

#31 FanSinceBIGShea, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So far all you have done in every one of your posts is praise every player and move by the Jets. Praising McCown and claiming you won an argument because of it is ridiculous on so many levels.

If McCown was so good he would not be on his 8th team in 14 years. He also would not have been a back-up for the vast majority of those years, or have a lifetime 18-42 record, or be 2-20 in his last 22 games, or have a completion percentage under 60%.

Past evidence tells us that players do not all of a sudden become better players just because they came to the Jets, GMs do not make all the right moves just because they are the GM of the Jets. All the threads you started and all the posts you posted tell me one thing, you are just an irrational thinking sunshiner with no basis in reality. And this is coming from someone who is usually positive thinking when it comes to the Jets.

HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That is the only good game he's had in 5 years

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The worst thing this team could do is make another 1 year wonder the starting QB.

By the way OP. like caps?

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He is too over the top. Quite sure,at this point,he is trolling.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I know the bucs fans appreciated him when they were able to take Winston,browns fans appreciated him when they were able to deal the 1 for a bunch of picks and then again when they were taking Myles Garrett. If he plays 16 games for us I'd expect he will be appreciated in the same manner

Cman68 likes this.
  17. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

McCown will not be a one year wonder and never has.

It's been over a decade since he's been able to play more than 11 games in a season (due to performance or injury). His performance has a high success rate of 1 thing...securing the top pick in the draft the following year...two most recently being the Cleveland Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. That is the only thing he has any degree of success at.

Sure you can be a great team player and pro but if you can't deliver on the field not sure how that factors into being a contributor when you were a big reason a team sucked.

His record speaks for itself. Anyone who wants to tank should be hoping to high hell McCown starts...there is no one better to get us the number one pick.

I don't want him seeing the field at all and am hoping one of the young guys takes a big step this year.

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Aka: Homer

The Waterboy likes this.
  19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

it smells like you're getting ready for:
    "Jets suck, look at Fitz making PO as soon as he left Jets" narrative.

Just remember that "making playoffs" is not exactly the same as "riding the bench into PO with clipboard in hand"

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member