KNOW WHO ELSE WILL SURPRISE THIS SEASON?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, May 24, 2017.

1. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

Josh McCown, that's who.

He'll bring temporary stability to the QB position with steady if not unspectacular play.

His leadership intangibles and work ethic throughout training camp and on into the regular season will be crucial as this franchise continues the culture change which is underway.

McCown is a pro's pro, a guy who has some savvy to him, a player that inspires others around him.

Certainly not the long-term answer at the position, however, he's the guy that can pilot the Jets offense most capably among the other QB's on the roster currently -- and it says here that he'll be a competent and professional player and provide the Jets with steady QB play throughout the upcoming season.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there were about a dozen threads with exactly the same sentiment last year. Around the same time too.

Only difference was those started "do you know we must sign before TC...."

3. FanSinceBIGShea

He's better than Fitz, has a better make up than Fitz, he'll do a respectable job this season which is what Morton is looking for.

4. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

But does he have a Harvard degree?!

FJF and FanSinceBIGShea like this.
  5. FanSinceBIGShea

LOL!!!!

6. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

There isn't anything wrong with trying to find something positive with Josh McCown. ( appreciate the effort) But the fact this guy won like two games over numerous years starting . ( he isn't very good)

Untill the Jets find their franchise Qb, they are stuck in limbo. ( not serious contenders in the Afc till they find that guy. I'm little disappointed that they didn't draft a Qb at some point in this last draft. Have to keep trying to get that Qb, because everyone knows what type of Qb Josh McCown is at this point. That isn't getting you anywhere.

7. FanSinceBIGShea

Well, I see a 6-win team minimum this season. McCown is obviously not the long-term answer, but he'll do for 2017. The Jets will find that QB eventually for the long-haul.

8. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yep, temporary stability is exactly what this team needs.

Dsmiles13 and FanSinceBIGShea like this.
  9. FanSinceBIGShea

Indeed, UK, at this point in time it's exactly what they need for the short-term. McCown should be viewed through the the prism of exactly what he is and what he is representative of at the current time, a hold the fort player who can step in an manage the game until the permanent answer is found. There is no other recourse at this time.

10. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

So is every other QB in the NFL, CFL and the Arena League....

11. FanSinceBIGShea

LOL!

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Jets have been the very model of mediocre for decades. Stability is good as long as you're working with a solid foundation and proven system. Until you find that, you have to be flexible in your approach. We're not the Patriots or the Steelers or the Giants. After 48 years, we need more of the same?? Really?? Hell F'n No! I'm way too old for that shit. Stability is a double edged sword. You can be consistently good (Patriots), you can consistently suck (Browns), or you can exist in limbo hoping to luck up one day. We're the Jets, guess which option applies to us..

Time to shake shit up and go in a completely different direction since doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is by definition insanity. Play the kids and put the mentor on the bench. See what you have at the Qb position before shopping for another has been journeyman loser looking to cash out at the end of his career. Time for the arrow to start point up. That's gonna take a leap of faith, not playing it safe.

#12 Cman68, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  13. FanSinceBIGShea

I agree with you to a point...I am all for the youth brigade this season and that's exactly what we're going to get. There is no magic elixir for building a football team except through the draft, something the Jets are finally and thankfully doing. I disagree with your observation of the quarterback position. You play the best guy for the job, now if that turns out to be Hackenberg, well okay, but if it's McCown (and I think it will be) you roll with him and make no apologies. There is never a guarantee that any QB coming out of college is going to be great, and if you're the Jets, you build the foundation of this team exactly as the front office is now doing and you gather pieces to create and environment for sustained success. These are highly competitive professional athletes. If you went out there each Sunday to bust your ass as a DL, a CB, a RB, would you not want to play with the guy who gives you the best chance to win? Please don't tell me that if you're Bilal Powell (or any other veteran) that you come out of the tunnel each Sunday with the mindset that you're okay losing that game that day because of what Wyoming's Josh Allen might mean to the team 2-3 years down the road. That's totally unrealistic. I never really liked Herm Edwards, but he was correct about one thing; "You play to win the game."
    Edit: Once the Jets are eliminated from post-season contention, then we'll see Hackenberg and or Petty for the balance of the rest of the season.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Starting McCown for even one game would make this season a failure of epic proportions. We don't have a roster ready to win and he has proven time after time that he does not give a team a better chance to win.

This season is all about finding out about the young talent, especially at the QB position.

15. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed you would actually think my post was anything other than sarcastic!

BleedingGreen55 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  16. Cman68

My apologies kind Sir.. My sarcasmeter has been off lately.

#16 Cman68, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

mcclown sucks. Playing him will be a waste of time but I suspect he will "give us the best chance to win" until like week 14. whoopie

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Cman68

At least TB will save his job at the expense of the future of the team but hey, who needs a FQb anyway...FQb's are overrated. Just ask the Falcons, the Giants, the Patriots, the Steelers, the Cowboys, the Seahawks and so on. What have they all done that we haven't in modern times?

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

+1
    said it then and I'll say it again:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/peterman-in-the-3rd.88379/page-2#post-3566282

NYJetsO12 and BrowningNagle like this.
  20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

If McCown starts on day 1, it's an admission that Maccagnan made a mistake drafting Hackenberg. A 2nd round pick that has had a whole year to prepare and can't crack the starting lineup in year 2 doesn't bode well for him (or Maccagnan.)

ColoradoContrails likes this.