The Jets will be NFL's surprise 2017 team

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FanSinceBIGShea, May 20, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Your Darkside is showing...

2. That would be the Jets luck,lol.

To be fair, any big time QB prospect who doesn't wanna come to the Jets likely wasn't the guy the team needs to begin with. Why wouldn't you wanna be the face of a massive media market w. a rabid fan base desperate for a savior? If your truly confident in your abilities you don't let the challenge outweigh the potential infamy. That said, there are personalities not fit for NY so that must be considered, but then we're sort of back to my original point: If you aren't thrilled or enamored w. this opportunity;You aren't the guy.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I don't think most fans are for tanking. Most want Petty or Hack to be the Answer, but at the same time are very doubtful of that being the case. If in fact, they are not the Answer, these fans would then like to see the team be competitive in every game, but go 0-16, 1-15, 2-14, or worst case 3-13, NOT intentionally losing any games, but losing nonetheless, so that the Jets have a real shot at FQB for a change.

Unfortunately, I think everyone will be disappointed, as Bowles, fighting for his job, will somehow get them to win 5-6 games and put them into draft purgatory. Speaking for myself, I can think of nothing that would piss me off more than another poor-mediocre season with no hope for the future.

NYJetsO12 and JetsNation06 like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, it's at least a little refreshing to not find the "M" word used by anyone inside the team. The Deadspin piece should be archived here as required reading by everyone touting the benefit of having an "M."

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

1-15? Maybe we'll take Keyshawn #1 lol

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Indeed. We need to put the kids in and find out what we have. We gain nothing by putting a perennial back up in and win a few games. Winnning 6 games with a rookie is great hope IMO. Winning the same amount with a vet doesn't mean dick for our future.

#66 LAJet, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If the majority of the young players show something positive and the Jets go 8-8, I don't think anyone would complain about being outside of the QB draft lottery. Even so, there's always a chance scouts overanalyze a good prospect and they fall.

LAJet likes this.
  8. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

Brian Costello feels my drift...in today's NY Post.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Anyone who hopes for a repeat of 2013 should have their head examined. What happened in 2014? 4-12.

I do agree that it's possible that they could win 5-6 games, and remotely possible that they could go 8-8, and if Petty or Hack and the rest of them show that they can be long term answers that wouldn't be a problem, but when they went 8-8 in 2013, it was really done with smoke and mirrors and no substance to build upon, and if that happens again this year it would be infuriating.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. FanSinceBIGShea

FanSinceBIGShea Active Member

No smoke & mirrors intended. I believe this will be a hungry and up and coming football team in 2017 that will win anywhere from 6-7 games and surprise many people.

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Jets luck would be to finish 4-12, get the #5 pick, Ditka trade up to #2 and then select Ryan Leaf.

12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

The difference between those years is that was an aging team for the most part where this team has alot of youth. If and that's an if they won 8 games this year there are probably more positives to take than those years. I think the only way I would be upset is if that record occurred because of McCown playing a good portion of games and winning those games (not a snowballs chance in hell).

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Double post

14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Todd Bowles is coaching for his job and even Mac could get the axe.No one is looking past 2017 and why should they.Tanking doesn't guarantee a thing except we remain a joke

15. Cman68

So would winning enough games to eliminate any chance at a top 5 pick. We would have a GM that is still in OJT, a HC that is at best mediocre and a team without a franchise Qb or any chance to contend in the reasonable future. We'd have 5-6 wins, 10-11 losses and the status quo continues. Yeah, nothing changes and we remain the joke we already are. Maybe joke is too strong a word... Perhaps "footnote" would be more descriptive.

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well if we indeed do shit the bed and come out 2-14 with the 1st pick.......there will likely be some coaches/GM's coming out of the proverbial woodwork to kiss Johnson's feet for the job.

Rex??

LOL

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OJT?

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Pot stirrer. LOL ;)

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Bowles was coaching for his job from day one

Mac was getting us players and contracts as soon as hired

Nothing has changed

We are due for at least 2 or 3 losses next year due to "coaching/game management" by Bowles

20. Cman68

I'm trying to give Macc some cover here.. On the Job Training for a 3rd year GM isn't out of the ordinary as a lot of GM's take even longer to actually become successful with their draft day moves and picks. I would say the rope for Macc is longer behind him than in front of him although that's up to Woody or whomever will be running the team. He's gonna have to start hitting on his higher dp's. He's gotta start hitting on 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders. Trading back position for picks isn't the cure all for all circumstances. If we're lucky, Macc perhaps has developed a rudimentary system to build a team. We'll know soon enough.

#80 Cman68, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017