Devin Smith waived

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, May 22, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

One trick pony. Route running wasn't there and he never seemed to be able to get separation from receivers.

3. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

He's also missed a lot of time, and never showed much..... He's going to have a hard time getting another shot

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Oof. That's a kick in the nuts right there.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well when you puncture a lung and tear your ACL twice in two years, you aren't gonna have much time to learn.

Decker, Enunwa, Stewart, Hansen, Peake, Anderson, Marshall, Cannon... he never stood a chance after all the injury problems he's had.

Pags2112 likes this.
  6. Glenn G

Glenn G Member

I like this. Cut your losses and move on.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Poor Devin Smith, he had some upside for sure.

Pags2112 likes this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I don't know a lot but I knew this pick was Sh*t when it was made and especially when he missed rookie camp due to birth of his girlfriends child which didn't even happen over the 4 days he was away. Took the money and ran--good for him, bad for NYJ. F him.

9. Greenday4537

Tearing your ACL definitely won't help you learn routes that involve making cuts. But he didn't do it much in college so he had a steep learning curve.

10. BroadwayAaron

He had plenty of upside. I was a big fan of the pick when it was made. We have no idea what he would have turned out to be, whether it be shit or a solid NFL receiver. At the time, you couldn't argue that a deep threat was what the Jets needed (for years really) and that's what he was, if nothing else.

11. Greenday4537

We definitely needed receiver help and we had no one to stretch the field. If he was able to stay health and get separation, there would have been a lot more patience for him to develop his route running but his lack of durability lead to him getting replaced. Now we have Robinson who we know can get open downfield quickly. Just no place on the team for him.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

A punctured lung along with two ACL injuries to the same knee?

At now 25 years of age, his NFL career was over before it even had a chance to begin.

I would have loved to see a healthy Smith on the same playing field as Hackenberg due to Hack's arm strength along with Smith's deep ball ability. But in football perfect situations sometimes never happen; due to player injuries. It's a part of the game.

Thankfully we've put together a bunch of younger WR's in Enunwa, Robby, Peake, Jalin, Stewart & Hansen. We're pretty much loaded with younger talent at WR therefore Smith won't be missed. Just another 2nd round failure (hopefully Maye can change this 2nd round Jets curse).

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Mac is a genius for drafting a WR with upside and even more of a genius for knowing when to cut his losses. Did I get that right?

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He'll land somewhere and his history will be written there, for better or worse.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm not sure he'll land anywhere. At least not in the NFL. Now 25 years of age with not one, but two ACL tears; to the same knee.

I believe it's safe to say this kids NFL playing career was over before it even had a chance to begin.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

One high priced MetLife beer says he'll at least be in someone's camp in July, if not sooner.

17. BroadwayAaron

Assuming you meant Anderson? I absolutely think there is a place on the team for him, but I also think Hansen could provide a lot of what Anderson does. The question is can Hansen do it right off the bat?

18. DefenseWinsChampionships

I don't know about that. I'm willing to bet he won't be in any teams offseason camp (considering the fact he's already been ruled out for the entire 2017 season due to his 2nd ACL tear in as little as 16 months).

Not a chance.

RochesterJet likes this.
  19. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Not surprising, he was made of glass. Wish the best for him in his journey back from another ACL tear.

20. I was never enamored w. the pick even as a Big 10 follower and MSU fan(Smith torched Sparty more than most teams).

He looked the part, was smooth in & out of breaks, was very clutch in big moments in college...I understood the appeal.But he was always raw in his route running & never got separation beyond well timed Go routes.

There was alot of talk that he was lighting up OTA's as well as early TC before he shattered his ribs & punctured a lung in a non contact portion. The team/media never really showed much urgency or narrative for the situation, but he never really recovered.Even when he came back late in his rookie year and started having some production he never looked like much more than a #3 slot guy at best.

While Mac gets a slight "pass" for the laundry list of injuries, maybe they should've put more thought into whether this guy was built to endure the NFL grind. It's abundantly clear he was far from it.